This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Paul79

Brightening up a decking area
« on: August 11, 2020, 07:36:56 pm »
Hey guys hope you're all keeping well! I had a small decking area to clean this morning, it's 13 year old decking and the customer has cleaned and sealed it every year except the last couple of years. My job was to clean it and try to restore it to it's original brighter colour (customer used clear sealant prior). Here's a before and after of the clean:

And a quick screenshot from a video showing me using the white nozzle and the distance from the decking. Obviously I was slowly moving across the decking in a uniform and consistant way.

Now there is a notable difference from before and after and although the customer was somewhat satisfied I feel dissapointed that I didn't get it much brighter. To get that decking area back to it's original state would I need a chemical of some sort or would using more pressure or a different nozzle make a difference?

SB Cleaning

Re: Brightening up a decking area
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 10:00:35 pm »
Wheres the after shot then?

Paul79

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 10:13:51 pm »

Before and after photo is at the top

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 10:46:07 pm »
Cleaning wood is way different from other pressure washing

Firstly - you need to know the wood - in this case it will be soft wood - pine or cedar
Second - you said sealed - if this is the case then you wont clean the wood - decks should only ever be oiled and not that ronseal rubbish - if sealed you need to strip it
Third you can use hypo you bring the wood back to the just cut look but this can damage the wood so use a professional/trade wood cleaner or oxylic acid
Fourthly - oil the deck clear is good or a light golden colour - others available if they want darker

Restoring decks takes time the right chems are expensive

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2020, 10:53:16 pm »
Here is a hard wood deck

Darran

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2020, 09:32:29 pm »

Before and after photo is at the top
Sorry but it doesn't look any different to me ;D