Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

H2GoKent

Retirement plans?
« on: August 10, 2020, 05:42:05 am »
I'm not after figures just interested in what strategies people have so they can have the ability not to work as much anymore, and how they view their future

I enjoy my work but I know that in ten/fifteen years time I will want to cut back

I'm 50 next year and have put into a NEST pension, I also qualified as RSPH level 2 in Pest control some years ago so I do some of that to keep from getting bored, and I have a water purifying business in Kent,(H2Go) doesn't make much yet but might become a small income stream eventually.
Over the years I've seen so many guys earn well and splash the cash only to struggle later, so I've always been careful, I don't want to be breaking my back when I'm older!
So I thought I would ask opinions on the subject
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Dave Willis

Re: Retirement plans?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 06:38:51 am »
Never going to retire! As long as I can play the drums I’m going to keep going.

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:15:21 am »
I have 2 company pensions - both got frozen due to redundancy and the cost of a private one is far to high

I built the biz up to provide an income when I retire - altho its already doing this to a large degree as ill health means I can no longer be on the tools every day

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 07:54:45 am »
I would say paying into a stocks and shares fund would be beneficial. I paid into a pension for 18 years to be told it’s worth around 6k a year. If I’d have put the exact same amount away into a stocks and shares fund , I would be looking at a hell of lot more than 6k a year

zesty

« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 08:45:09 am »
Property for me. Seems to be the plan we’ve gone with...

As well as an AC cobra kit car, (not bought yet) which are getting harder and harder to source parts for. Prices increase with the classic car market. Would be a nice little lump sum in 35 years or so.  Alright, alright, it’s more that I just want one...  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 09:56:23 am »
I'm not after figures just interested in what strategies people have so they can have the ability not to work as much anymore, and how they view their future

I enjoy my work but I know that in ten/fifteen years time I will want to cut back

I'm 50 next year and have put into a NEST pension, I also qualified as RSPH level 2 in Pest control some years ago so I do some of that to keep from getting bored, and I have a water purifying business in Kent,(H2Go) doesn't make much yet but might become a small income stream eventually.
Over the years I've seen so many guys earn well and splash the cash only to struggle later, so I've always been careful, I don't want to be breaking my back when I'm older!
So I thought I would ask opinions on the subject

I'm the same age as you mate...I'm already semi retired and cut back on my workload a few years ago.....I just keep refining my round to make it more profitable for hours worked......I also save around 5k a year for a nest egg for later in life......hopefully I can keep working until I'm 75-80....health permitting.....

I know 2 window cleaners who are still working in their mid 70s and they both look great for their age.....👍😁
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 11:10:05 am »
Marry a rich woman

Dave Willis

« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 11:22:02 am »
Have they started sewing pockets in shrouds now Daz?

Stoots

« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2020, 11:27:10 am »
Dont know, but I'm going to have to do something. I'm 38 I don't have any pension, haven't even got a mortgage. Don't want to be doing this when I'm 50 let alone 60 plus.

Suppose you just keep burying your head in the sand and getting up everyday to plod along.

Been thinking about this a lot lately, I'm pretty fed up with window cleaning.

I suppose if I ask myself where I would like to be in 20 years time, at the age of 58...i would say house fully paid for, maybe another small property abroad and be able to retire with a business providing a decent income stream to comfortably live off.

Dave Willis

« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2020, 11:32:20 am »
I’ll probably retire soon and become a window cleaning consultant.

NWH

« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2020, 12:03:02 pm »
Yeah don’t worry Dave I’ll put an order in for the swivel chair 🪑 🤣

NWH

« Reply #11 on: August 10, 2020, 12:10:48 pm »
If you don’t have a mortgage at 38 I would say it’ll be very difficult at the moment,you need to decide whether you want to be able to do things while you can or while you are still able too.
So so many retired people i often speak to in my social life all share the same view don’t wait till you retire until you start to do things like holidays etc, do it when you are younger when you feel like queuing at airports and enjoy the places you visit most retirement aged  people when they get there wads of cash they can’t be arsed to go or do the things they would have loved to have done 20-25 years earlier and I’ve heard this many many times.

NWH

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2020, 12:14:16 pm »
With all that’s gone on lately it just hits it home that not everyone is guaranteed to get to retirement age,live life each day not for 25 years down the road.

G Griffin

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2020, 01:52:18 pm »
Hatton Garden job.
Fence off all the tom', then take off to live in Brazil, away from coronavirus and all the gangs and drugs in this country.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

richard connett

« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2020, 03:40:42 pm »
What I would like to do is go from working five weeks out of 6 to 4 weeks then 3 Etc
Buy a holiday home somewhere hot and divide my time . Brexit may have ped on my dream though ... time will tell

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2020, 03:42:04 pm »
With all that’s gone on lately it just hits it home that not everyone is guaranteed to get to retirement age,live life each day not for 25 years down the road.

true but you ve still got to think about the future and have savings for later in your life whether you live that long or not......im lucky as i have no mortgage or children...ill be moving in with my missus in a few years and her house will be paid off by then,ill have my state pension in 19 years or so as well as a £100,000+ nest egg built up.....if im fit enough ill carry on working part time too....

my dad only finished working part time 2 months ago(aged 74)he s gonna die soon(stage 4 lung cancer)but he s been on some amazing holidays in the last 10 years or so with my mum and my brother and his family while he s been healthy.....that all you can ask for really......even though he smoked for 63 years he s never been ill all his life until now.....

i dont want to live until im really old and cant look after myself properly......hopefully by then euthanasia will be legal in this country if things get too bad..... ;D

have a good day chaps.....

Shrek

« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2020, 03:47:19 pm »
Lol yeah me too . Don’t think il be looking forward to the nurse coming round so she can put my socks on and wipe my arse for me  :'(

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2020, 03:51:24 pm »
If you don’t have a mortgage at 38 I would say it’ll be very difficult at the moment,you need to decide whether you want to be able to do things while you can or while you are still able too.
So so many retired people i often speak to in my social life all share the same view don’t wait till you retire until you start to do things like holidays etc, do it when you are younger when you feel like queuing at airports and enjoy the places you visit most retirement aged  people when they get there wads of cash they can’t be arsed to go or do the things they would have loved to have done 20-25 years earlier and I’ve heard this many many times.

me and the missus have met loads of older people on luxury holidays abroad who are having the time of their lives!last year it was a couple from sheffield.....it was his 90th birthday  while he was there(mexico)....bless em...... :)

Ooooooog

« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2020, 04:22:28 pm »
Never going to retire! As long as I can play the drums I’m going to keep going.

Boom boom?

TomCrowther

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2020, 04:37:32 pm »
I was a financial planner for a few years. I used to show younger clients, who were on the fence about whether to pay into a pension, a comparison of two, hypothetical guys. Both aged 18. One pays £100 a month into a pension and then stops paying at age 25. The other delays paying until he is 26 and then pays in every month until he is 60.
Despite paying in miles more dosh, the second guys fund never catches up with the first guy because of the benefits of compound interest.
Having said that, I have cocked up my retirement plan and aged 54 haven't much time left.