This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dave Willis

Re: Loss of joy?
« Reply #40 on: August 04, 2020, 06:43:14 pm »
Somewhere between eight and nine houses an hour.
Not for me thanks.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #41 on: August 04, 2020, 07:25:12 pm »
35 is extremely impressive given up to 5 mins between houses. Im surprised they have the stamina for that i would be exhausted.

I can do about 25 if i work hard, with maybe a minute or 2 between houses and thought i was pretty fast. Mind you i only work till 3

What time do your guys start and finish Richard ?

we start at 7:30 on the glass at 8.

we cant do 35 a day with 5 min between houses. i could do 15 in a morning with that space. 4 houses an hour and you'd be done around 1. if all the houses were 5 min between we wouldn't get it done in that time, but we don't really have that. the rounds that are spread out are bigger ticket houses so you get less of those done, but less driving about between jobs

35 is about the max and thats on a decent round for sure. but we do it, possibly more on some days. i think 38 has been done. we have some rounds with 4 neighbours houses, followed by moving the van and then another 3 or 4

doing the same rounds every 4 weeks you get efficient.

all on DD so no door knocking.

no climbing over gates as we have no ladders.

i think it helps that we give a due date for our cleans so there's pressure to get it all done on the day.

not everyone is able to do it. you need to recruit staff who walk quick ;)

the guys can knock off when they are done. I'm good like that :D

thats the spirit of it anyhow.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

NWH

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2020, 07:33:47 pm »
Goood dog yeah yeah yeah yeah goooood dogs 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣 ear boy cmon ear boys 🤣🤣🤣

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2020, 07:34:53 pm »
One person, 35 houses a day. That’s impressive. Do you use a cattle prod?
5m driving between every job is what? 3hrs down time so in five hours you can clean 35 jobs?

sorry i didn't mean 5 min between every job. we couldn't do that. 5 houses an hour on those close together round is doable, but not all day. if you aren't moving the van those semis are done in less than 10 min. just need to move fast between the windows

they do 8.5 hr days. but they can leave when they are done (but have to work late if not completed). its more like 4 houses an hour. thats easy enough on 3 bed semis etc.
iSparkle Window Cleaning

NWH

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2020, 07:37:01 pm »
You trying to tell me how to get my business into shape cleaning houses like that 🤣🤣,trainers on start jogging Richard.

deeege

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2020, 07:39:46 pm »
I’m not doubting you at all richard, as I know you put a lot of thought and effort into improving your business.

However, I’d love to be a fly on the wall watching your lads fly around a house in 3-4 minutes. They must be seriously splashing and dashing to keep up with your expectations.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #46 on: August 04, 2020, 07:48:32 pm »
I’m not doubting you at all richard, as I know you put a lot of thought and effort into improving your business.

However, I’d love to be a fly on the wall watching your lads fly around a house in 3-4 minutes. They must be seriously splashing and dashing to keep up with your expectations.

its more like 10 min on small houses front and back mate
iSparkle Window Cleaning

NWH

« Reply #47 on: August 04, 2020, 07:59:16 pm »
More time setting up on smaller houses I don’t doubt the time at all it’s frightening how quickly you can clean large jobs let alone the smaller ones,it’s when you remember how long stuff used to take with ladders look at what you’ve done by 1 o’clock some days and it’s literally wow.

Ooooooog

« Reply #48 on: August 04, 2020, 08:17:32 pm »
Crazy. I spend more than 5 minutes chatting to each customer.

Stoots

« Reply #49 on: August 04, 2020, 10:14:48 pm »
Crazy. I spend more than 5 minutes chatting to each customer.

I bet I don't even spend 5 mins a week talking to all my customers combined. No time for talking lol

Spruce

« Reply #50 on: August 05, 2020, 07:53:08 am »
"We had a window cleaner who had a beat up old Transit van"

Standard ciu stereotype for dodgy wc.,judge em by their vehicle :)
In my 16yrs window cleaning, the stand out "cowboys/liars/bullies" (delete as appropriate) I've encountered, have been driving newish sign written professional looking vans. Appearances can be very deceptive. (other than that a very good moral to your post Spruce,). I post as a driver of a  non sign written transit van which is getting more beat up by the year  ;D.

Hi Nick. I didn't mean to offend you or anyone else by my comment.

I did mention that these two guys worked very hard and did a good cleaning job for their customers. I would never take that away from them.

Before the Transit van they had a very unreliable, tatty Transit Connect van which, more often than not, was at one of the workshops we pass by regularly being repaired. This van was sign written and had an Ionics Logo on both sides. Inside was a strapped in Wydale tank and 2 Claber hose reels. They used fiberglass poles with Oval Vikans on them.

I often saw them out working and chatted to them from time to time. The owner was a nice guy.

I agree that we can't judge a person's work ethic by the van they drive or the equipment they own. It was certainly the case here.

In business making a profit centered around 2 things; pricing and expenses. These guys skimped on equipment and I imagine their running costs equipment wise were low - excluding the cost of repairs to that Connect van.
The very fact that he admitted that there wasn't enough money in window cleaning suggested to me the reason why he got that well used Transit van. His business couldn't afford it and we all know how expensive vans are now.

So no, I wasn't calling them out as a cowboy outfit. Their reason for failure was that their prices were too low. 

When he decided to sell up he offered the business to his helper but his helper didn't have any money.  So he sold it off to a well know cowboy outfit that can only be described that way. They have since lost most of the customers they bought because they have such a bad local reputation.

Interestingly I was approached recently and asked for a quote to clean this person's windows because he admired how clean and well presented my van was. My van isn't sign written. That's the first time I've ever heard that.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Soupy

« Reply #51 on: August 05, 2020, 08:54:52 am »
What is this "joy" you speak of?

Ooooooog

« Reply #52 on: August 05, 2020, 11:53:18 am »

SB Cleaning

« Reply #53 on: August 05, 2020, 03:05:17 pm »

The quality of clean must be crud on some houses they do especially in the summer time with all the insect marks etc.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2020, 04:21:40 pm »

The quality of clean must be crud on some houses they do especially in the summer time with all the insect marks etc.

obviously we adjust to the amount of cleaning needed  ::)roll

to be honest it doesn't matter what you or I think. what matters is what our customers think.

check out our google reviews  ;D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Smudger

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2020, 05:12:14 pm »
35 is extremely impressive given up to 5 mins between houses. Im surprised they have the stamina for that i would be exhausted.

I can do about 25 if i work hard, with maybe a minute or 2 between houses and thought i was pretty fast. Mind you i only work till 3

What time do your guys start and finish Richard ?

we start at 7:30 on the glass at 8.

we cant do 35 a day with 5 min between houses. i could do 15 in a morning with that space. 4 houses an hour and you'd be done around 1. if all the houses were 5 min between we wouldn't get it done in that time, but we don't really have that. the rounds that are spread out are bigger ticket houses so you get less of those done, but less driving about between jobs

35 is about the max and thats on a decent round for sure. but we do it, possibly more on some days. i think 38 has been done. we have some rounds with 4 neighbours houses, followed by moving the van and then another 3 or 4

doing the same rounds every 4 weeks you get efficient.

all on DD so no door knocking.

no climbing over gates as we have no ladders.

i think it helps that we give a due date for our cleans so there's pressure to get it all done on the day.

not everyone is able to do it. you need to recruit staff who walk quick ;)

the guys can knock off when they are done. I'm good like that :D

thats the spirit of it anyhow.

Wow - you give give them 1/2 pay before getting on the glass   ;D ;D ;D

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #56 on: August 05, 2020, 05:14:56 pm »
The boys can knock off when there done I’m good like that 🤣🤣🤣, more like the guys can knock off when I’ve knocked there pipes out lol.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #57 on: August 05, 2020, 05:20:29 pm »

obviously we adjust to the amount of cleaning needed  ::)roll

to be honest it doesn't matter what you or I think. what matters is what our customers think.

check out our google reviews  ;D
You think your staff are going to "adjust" dont make  me laugh  ;D they will be splashing and dashing in all seasons pal.

Smudger

« Reply #58 on: August 05, 2020, 05:27:44 pm »
My view is if your giving them x amount and say your hours are till 4pm but get it done by 3 I will pay you to 4 only encourages a quick rush job.

Of course you may be setting them work so it's near impossible to finish early...🧐

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #59 on: August 05, 2020, 05:51:50 pm »

you can do a perfectly good job on a small 3 bed semi in 10 mins with hot water and a high flow esp if your cleaning 4 weekly work........including all frames,sills and doors...
price higher/work harder!