Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Daniel Hewlett

What Machine Please?
« on: July 29, 2020, 04:34:49 pm »
Hi All,
I am new to the forum, which I stumbled upon whilst trying to research commercial fabric cleaning, and would really appreciate some expert and impartial advice. I am the co-owner of a company that refurbishes as well as supplying new furniture and fixed seating to pubs, hotels and restaurants. As you can imagine, sales have nose-dived dramatically recently and the road back to normal sales levels is going to be a long and difficult one. Therefore, we are looking to push the maintenance/refurbishment arm of the business harder, and would like to start offering cleaning/steam cleaning of fabric as a cost effective alternative to re-upholstery. My first question is which method/type of machine should we be looking at, i.e. a steam cleaner or a carpet/fabric cleaner? Secondly,  we are currently looking at two machines as potential purchases: the Miniflex LX from Clean Smart and the SC2000DT Steam and Vacuum Cleaner from Steam Clean Systems. The Miniflex seems to have a fair amount of independent comments and info, but can't seem to find anyone who has the SC2000DT, so if anyone could share any information or feedback on these machines, that would be extremely helpful. I should add that this will be one of several services that we offer, so we won't be purely cleaning fabric, but need a commercial grade machine which we could take into the premises and say clean 20-60 chairs whilst we are repairing and refinishing tables etc at the same time. We may look at offering carpet cleaning for smaller premises if this seems feasible, but this won't be the primary purpose of the machine, we are focused more on the cleaning of upholstery on chairs, seating etc. Many thanks, Dan.

Robin Ray

Re: What Machine Please?
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2020, 06:41:01 pm »
I cant comment on the Miniflex as I have never used one however hot water extraction is the method of cleaning which will be most effective for pubs, and 90% of other upholstery come to that.
Steam cleaning isn't a very effective way of cleaning upholstery and may even damage some fabrics.
If you do want to get in to the cleaning industry I would highly recommend getting on a course which covers both carpets and upholstery. Once you understand how everything works you will be in a good position to choose the machine which will most effectively meet your requirements.
Other suppliers you may want to consider looking up are Alltec, Ashbys, Restormate, Cleanspec Cumbria, Prochem, Solutions Cornwall, and Hilite Services. They all sell machines and provide training with the exception of Hilite services, however their machine is particularly innovative, in my opinion that is.
A good machine to look for is something with twin vacuum motors, at least a 135 psi pump, and a heater. Something with those specifications will enable you to work at a rate which will be profitable and do a good job too. Bear in mind pubs tend to be quite heavily soiled so you will need something powerful to get good results, cleaning chemistry will also play a massive part.

Daniel Hewlett

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2020, 09:31:04 pm »
Hi Robin, thank you for that, much appreciated!

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 10:16:48 am »
See my post under Carpet cleaning newbe.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.

CozyTheBest

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2020, 10:41:10 am »
yes, you are right about this.

john martin

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2020, 08:57:36 pm »
Stick with the miniflex of your suggested choices ,   perhaps call cleansmart and ask which version they'd recommend  ,  A heater will be an advantage as pub upholstery can be black greasy at times  ,    an external heater will cost you about 600  ,   your overall budget seems to be around 2000 or so ?      The miniflex with single 8.4  , 250psi , and built in 3kw heater is only about 2000+vat , good value.  I wouldnt usually recommend a single vac but its probably fine at close range  .
Heater will add weight to the machine though for loading , but it can load backwards on its upper wheels if you have a van .

So one quick way of doing the seats  would be spray on orange-x (from cleansmart )  scrub with a drill brush (look it up ) and hit it with the 3kw heated rince from the miniflex .
Get a non messy tool for the upholstery , either just an internal jet stainless ... or something more specific for upholstery,

M.J.M

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2020, 09:14:25 am »
If your doing fabric seats etc I know it's expensive but the sapphire scientific is extremely good  very quick and clean quick 

dustee

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2020, 08:27:55 pm »
A machine is only as good as its operative , so  i would look into training  first especially if your thinking of cleaning carpets

Daniel Hewlett

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2020, 09:36:07 pm »
Thanks all for your replies - very helpful, and much appreciated! We will definitely do the training, as this message is coming through loud and clear. I have been looking into machines more closely now, has anyone had experience with the Tempest twin unit machine from Hilite Services - it seems to tick a lot of boxes and seems a very clever concept, but can’t find any reviews (possibly relatively new to the market?) Any comments would be gratefully received.

john martin

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2020, 10:17:07 pm »
There is a few user reviews on their website , scroll down the bottom . But yeah , they have a nice product there but hopeless at promoting it  , it must be out a year now ?  even just  a couple  of crude  youtube demo  videos  , how hard would that be to organize, pay a student if they cant do it themself . If they are busy enough as is , fair play , but they could be selling more with some basic social media promoting  i would think .

john martin

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2020, 10:30:15 pm »
The tempest  has a 3kw immersion as standard  ....  and then u can opt for the 'rapid heat ' add on for about 170 extra ,    wonder what the rapid heat is  ...    ???         

john martin

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2020, 10:51:49 am »
at 170 it might be a passive heat exchanger , perhaps on the exhaust

Elfyn

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2020, 08:34:20 am »
Daniel, If you asked 40 different carpet cleaners what's the best machine, you'll get 40 diferent answers.
Do some training first, do some homework on the machines available and make an informed choice.

ADavis78

« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2020, 01:57:51 pm »
I'm also on the market of buying a vaccum cleaner, but I'm still hesitant of what to buy. I'm thinking between Shark Navigator Lift-Away, Shark APEX Upright Vacuum with DuoClean for Carpet and HardFloor, Hoover MAXLife Pro Pet Swivel HEPA Media Vacuum Cleaner and Halo Capsule. I've read plenty of positive reviews about all of the above, but maybe someone had any kind of experience with these machines?

Kinver_Clean

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2020, 10:30:09 am »
They are all domestic machines - Would you be impressed if a cleaner got out his vac and you had the same ?
Get a proper commercial vac such as a Sebo etc.
And do not buy any equipment until you are trained.
God must love stupid people---He made so many.