Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john martin

Beware of this one
« on: July 06, 2020, 09:05:12 pm »
https://www.ikea.com/us/en/p/strandmon-wing-chair-gillhov-multicolor-80359858/

went a bit pink  ,   in hindsight i should have gone a foam hand clean route ,  but i never had a problem with a light hwe followed by a dryer . Didn't seem to be a PH thing , just doesn't like water in general .
Anyway i spent about an hour correcting it  ...  agreed it was fine  , couple of hours later ...text , its a bit pink again .
I think i could have got there if i brought it home and worked on it repeatedly  ... but in this case i just offered a replacement.
No more time wasted  ... you win some lose some.
Funnily enough, i had her on a high risk , fussyness chart for carpet cleaning  ... as she said she she was never happy with three previous carpet cleaners ( slow drying , smell etc )   
Goet the carpets done and she was thrilled  , then she asked if i could give a quick rub to this chair  , doh .
Cheap azz ikea chairs .

Steve_Knight

Re: Beware of this one
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2020, 07:53:48 am »
Thanks John

edward coller

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2020, 08:29:52 am »
Thanks for the lookout

jmj

« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2020, 05:16:13 pm »
This could be a regular thing, to let everyone know of any problems, especially suites!

cheers John

mjm

« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2020, 05:28:25 pm »
Thanks john
I think one of my customers has one of these  she said it was made in Chelsea   only one in th world it was given to them as   wedding present    good job I never cleaned it this was last year  before  i upgraded my equipement  and was shown the shampoo method so i can do that chair with prochem shampoo and sponge method

Mr Dvae

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2020, 06:19:08 pm »
hi john,
what did you use in the rinse tank?
regards
dave.

john martin

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2020, 08:24:51 pm »
Hi Dave ,   well the chair cleaning was an after thought and she just wanted a quick once over to remove a few kids paw marks  , i just used no prespray , and what i was using as a carpet rince very dilute in the tank  , ultimate master powder .   
Yes i have chemspec cotton cleaner on the van , i had prochem fibre shampoo and a mit  , i could have done an acid rince  , i could have done a lot of things more carefully in general .
But il cleaned some fine white cotton suites , the ones with the peacocks and plants on them with UM  ... no issues  ,   as well as other cottons.
On the correction side  ,  i tried various thing , only the usual sodium bicarb was working but at almost neat paste concentration , nothing dilute working . Then dryed it with hair dryer .
If you look at the link  to the chair there is a closeup of the leg pic , u see the cotton is speckled grey  .... its something to do with how those speckles are formed as the pink was following the pattern of the speckles .
Not sure if its a dye of something sub surface , anyway most of the IKEA junk is made in china , so could be batsblood or anything 

Mr Dvae

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2020, 10:12:25 pm »
We’ve had the same problem with some well known expensive suites. Ph sensitive fabrics.

homenclean

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 08:43:04 pm »
I’ve had one pink on me before, a large corner sofa and it happen on one arm only, spoke to Richard at Chem Spec and we decided it was acid pinking, sofa was only weeks old and had a few muddy paw prints on it so I cleaned with a rinse of Prochem ff  low and behold all looked great except one arm that acid pinked.

I spoke with my brother in law who is runs a company producing dies and setting agents and he outlined faults in the fabric manufacture and stabilisation of the dye.

Customer took all this info to the manufacturer and they replaced the sofa.

I think I read something from the NCCA that this was becoming more common and the manufacturers threw it back at them saying it’s your problem.

Manufactures probably cutting corners in production or cheap fabric.

John

homenclean

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 11:11:09 pm »
What do you think of ultimate master, IV just bought some.

Like the self neutralising aspect and it claims to be a one stop clean no pre spray required. Bit dubious but let’s see.

John

john martin

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 11:22:40 pm »
What do you think of ultimate master, IV just bought some.

Like the self neutralising aspect and it claims to be a one stop clean no pre spray required. Bit dubious but let’s see.

John

Iv used it for ages  , both as a one step clean and an intank rince after what ever i was prespraying with  ...
I still like it  .... however i think it has become annoyingly difficult to dissolve lately   ,  its no problem if you take your time stirr the mix etc   , but i like to put some powder in the bucket and use the tap pressure to mix it  , lately it seems to cake too easy .
I also miss the bigger bucket it used to come in ... as i used toi use the empty as a clean bucket .
In general  i think it was a different and better product years ago  , they changed the formula several times  ... not for the better imo

homenclean

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2020, 09:52:38 pm »
Thanks, your right with the mixing, I’v found this with several solutions these days they seem quite gritty and need a lot of agitation in the bucket to dissolve, also no scoop which seemed odd.

Craftex powders seem finer and mix a lot easier than most.

John

Steve_Knight

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2020, 06:39:24 am »
We’ve had the same problem with some well known expensive suites. Ph sensitive fabrics.

Duresta by any chance Dave?

Dave_Lee

« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2020, 01:32:36 pm »
Ive had this happen on two suites in 40 years. The first was before the problem was known about and ended up in an insurance claim. The second one, I called Paul Pearce who had not long since found how to rectify the situation. Following his advice a quick misting over with Bi Carb and it returned to its green colour straight away.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Teddycare

« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2020, 11:36:29 am »
The pinkish tinge is caused when the fabric has been fire proofed and has been a problem for quite a few years noticeably on a lot of Laura Ashley furniture and others and yes easily cured if you know how.

John Kelly

« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2020, 04:03:20 pm »
Th pH problem is easily solved however the flame retardant problem can be permanent.