Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

NWH

Re: Milky water and schools
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2020, 11:30:29 am »
I know a roofer used to loads of work for the council in fact most of his work was council,it took 6 months to get his money even with chasing them in the end the bank pulled the plug on him even though he was owed a fortune.
He was getting paid for stuff he’d done 6 months ago when he had just invoiced for another 5-6 months work,he’s now window cleaning lol.

Spruce

« Reply #21 on: June 28, 2020, 01:42:53 pm »
I know a roofer used to loads of work for the council in fact most of his work was council,it took 6 months to get his money even with chasing them in the end the bank pulled the plug on him even though he was owed a fortune.
He was getting paid for stuff he’d done 6 months ago when he had just invoiced for another 5-6 months work,he’s now window cleaning lol.

Unfortunately that's the reality with commercial business.

The council expect your council tax paid pronto but the same doesn't apply to them.

When we lost our first big commercial clean because the company went bankrupt I made a decision that I would not have all my eggs in one basket.  As you have said on this thread,  having lots of residential customers is more recession proof.  If you loose one then it won't impact your business that much.

All of our commercial customers have cancelled on us with Covid19 bar one. One has come back and I need to chase another.  30% of our annual turnover was commercial at one time. I have never chased new commercial when we have lost one.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

NWH

« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2020, 02:09:50 pm »
You would have to be mad to take a
Commercial job on when it would mean you’d be neglecting domestics especially these days,a domestic customer may think about getting rid orPutting you back a bit a commercial job wouldn’t,the email would be sent and you wouldn’t be given a second thought.
It’ll be a long long time before commercial business even begin to worry about having the windows cleaned.

RPCCS

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2020, 06:52:12 pm »
I clean the school where my wife works, once a year in the summer holidays, outside is all wfp, inside trad with a scrubbing pad and scraper handy, wife helps me with inside.
Cheers Rich

NWH

« Reply #24 on: June 28, 2020, 08:20:29 pm »
The only time you are guaranteed to keep a commercial job is if it’s the windows of your own office 🤣🤣,price em so silly like you know it won’t last for long coz it won’t.

Russ Hawthorne

« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2020, 05:20:25 pm »
Hi all, thanks for all the replies.

I’ve visited the school now and have counted 320 windows of various sizes, which more or less average out to be ‘regular’ house sizes.

Without breaking my balls I’m thinking 4 days work, external only.

With deductions, and taking into consideration everyone’s comments, I’m thinking £960. Or am I being too generous?

With all my customers being residential, Im thinking, without reason, that over £1000 makes it feel a huge amount of money, especially to a school.

Opinions would be useful. Cheers  ;D

NWH

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2020, 05:45:14 pm »
If it was going to take me off of my domestic for 4 days it would be a lot I’d want 4 days domestic money + a % on top because it’s commercial,I think what you’ve quoted is very low.

Spruce

« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2020, 05:57:42 pm »

I’ve visited the school now and have counted 320 windows of various sizes, which more or less average out to be ‘regular’ house sizes.

With deductions, and taking into consideration everyone’s comments, I’m thinking £960. Or am I being too generous?

With all my customers being residential, Im thinking, without reason, that over £1000 makes it feel a huge amount of money, especially to a school.

Our school clean has around 280 windows, but we clean that entrance atrium and the other large atrium which add 7 hours onto the job. We also clean the fiberglass panels on each stairwell.
We also have a glass canopy over each exit/entrance - 9 in all.

That lot externally takes 2 of us 3 days - one person 6 days.

It hard continuous graft  and we know exactly where to position the vans to reach with the hoses. We also know exactly which pole we need where. We also know where to start so holiday school activities don't interfere with our cleaning program.

Going on our school clean it will take you longer than 4 days. I think you need to quote higher than that. You won't believe how many bird strikes you have to go back to that didn't come off in the first clean.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: June 29, 2020, 06:31:42 pm »

just go for it...they can either say yes or no.......i wouldnt take the job on but thats just me.....my whole business is based on lots of  much lower paying regular jobs....

good luck with it.......itll be even better if you get the job and it takes you 3 days instead of 4! ;D

let us all know if you get the job(and how long it takes you!) ;)
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

« Reply #29 on: June 29, 2020, 07:15:06 pm »
If commercial doesn’t pay  £650 - 1000 per day Ime not intrested  as domestic  is easier  , less risk  ,it’s regular 4-8 weekly repeat work so less dirt to remove .

NWH

« Reply #30 on: June 29, 2020, 08:11:29 pm »
School work is like a builders clean the only time they look clean is from the road as you drive by em,got offered a similar job not long ago,I said thanks but no thanks guaranteed I wasn’t the first he ask.

Russ Hawthorne

« Reply #31 on: July 01, 2020, 12:33:18 pm »
Well I thought about it and I’ve almost tripled my original price. I’d be happy with that, we’ll see what comes of it. Thanks for all the advice guys 👍🏻

NWH

« Reply #32 on: July 01, 2020, 12:50:13 pm »
Yeah if you look to make 200 on domestics I would do the same 👍

Spruce

« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2020, 05:33:33 pm »
Well I thought about it and I’ve almost tripled my original price. I’d be happy with that, we’ll see what comes of it. Thanks for all the advice guys 👍🏻

If they accept your price then great. If you get asked back next year then its a bonus.

NWH

« Reply #34 on: July 01, 2020, 05:59:07 pm »
You never know you might be cleaning it up ready for Spruce 🤣🤣