Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Terry gunter

TDS problem
« on: May 23, 2020, 08:12:15 pm »
Sorry to be a pain.i set up a ro with resin in last chamber a few weeks ago.300gpd.out the tap TDS reads 210ppm. Filled and refilled 9 25 litre barrels and then filled up 2 200 litr containers.was reading 002 ppm.not a lot of water has been made has it but now it’s crept up to 009 ppm. I changed the resin in the last chamber but it’s still saying the same.any ideas ?this was a brand new setup that came with my trolley

jk999

Re: TDS problem
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2020, 12:08:09 am »
When i had my 300 ltr ro i used to buy a set of 3 filters for it and used a 7ltr resin bottle for polishing water lasted ages  before resin refill

Terry gunter

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2020, 04:42:22 am »
So would I be able to where the last pipe comes Out to the containers that I fill just add a bigger resin bottle ?

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 06:45:11 am »
Sorry to be a pain.i set up a ro with resin in last chamber a few weeks ago.300gpd.out the tap TDS reads 210ppm. Filled and refilled 9 25 litre barrels and then filled up 2 200 litr containers.was reading 002 ppm.not a lot of water has been made has it but now it’s crept up to 009 ppm. I changed the resin in the last chamber but it’s still saying the same.any ideas ?this was a brand new setup that came with my trolley

Let's get some more info.
We have your tap water TDs of 210.

What is the TDs of the pure after the membranes and before it goes to Di?

When processing water how much water goes to waste and how  much is pure. In other words we are looking for about 2 liters of waste water to 1 liter of pure.

You have a 300 gpd r/o.  Who supplied the system?
How many membranes housings does it have?

You are using the third housing as a Di vessel. For window cleaning you need a bigger one. But you need to sort the problem with the r/o first.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Terry gunter

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:13 am »
Not sur of TDS before resin.il try and test today.also the setup was supplied by xline with the trolley system.il also check the pure to waste ratio too thankyou

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2020, 08:40:19 am »
Not sur of TDS before resin.il try and test today.also the setup was supplied by xline with the trolley system.il also check the pure to waste ratio too thankyou

By taking the tds of the pure leaving the membrane/s you can then work out how well your r/o is performing.  The benchmark is that it should be removing between 97 to 98% of the dissolved solids in your water.
With your tap water tds of 210 your pure leaving your r/o should be around 6ppm or lower.

I also asked how many membrane housings you have.

If your pure tds is much higher then you need to work out which membrane (if you have more than one) is a rouge one. You do this by testing the pure from each membrane.
Its easy to accidentally swap pipes with those small membrane housings.  If you have more than one housing it could be that a waste pipe has been linked to the other pure outlets.

Terry gunter

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2020, 02:22:02 pm »
I’ve just
Tested the water before resin and it’s reading 31 ppm.the waste water and the product water are filling a pint glass at the same time.was reading 000 for a short while .so bloody confusing.i haven’t even made a thousand litres yet and hitting problems.cant believe it lol

Spruce

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2020, 03:33:21 pm »
I’ve just
Tested the water before resin and it’s reading 31 ppm.the waste water and the product water are filling a pint glass at the same time.was reading 000 for a short while .so bloody confusing.i haven’t even made a thousand litres yet and hitting problems.cant believe it lol

So here's your problem. This should be 6 or less, preferably less.

Your resin in a 10" di vessel isn't going to last long polishing off 31ppm.

How many membrane housings have you got? If more than one please separate them so you can test the output tds of each of them on their own.

Terry gunter

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2020, 04:14:21 pm »
There are 2 cylinders next to the resin and 2 tubes above it wich I think are the ro membranes.150 gpd each

jk999

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2020, 04:23:37 pm »
There is something not right with the ro it should be fetching tds almost down to zero before resin like the other guys said you need to do some tests

Terry gunter

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2020, 05:08:56 pm »
Ok thankyou il go back and have another look at the ro parts and test.before and after each one.thankyou

Don Kee

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2020, 05:25:31 pm »

This is your major problem with the resin chamber you’re using.
When I used one of these many years ago, the resin would last a week tops.

In regards to what you have going out of the RO and into the resin, first and foremost what is your water pressure going into the membranes (mains) and are you using a booster pump?
I’d probably answer the pressure problem first before you start messing with the plumbing of your RO and then not remembering how to put it back together.

jk999

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2020, 05:33:32 pm »
What is your pressure from tap

Terry gunter

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2020, 06:11:26 pm »
Haven’t got a pressure tester but filling a 25 litre drum in about an hr.ive tests water from top and bottom to and saying 200 in both

jk999

« Reply #14 on: May 24, 2020, 09:16:43 pm »
With my 300 gpd i used to get 3 ltrs a minute

Terry gunter

« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2020, 10:07:23 pm »
Was that using a pump ?

Spruce

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2020, 10:15:34 pm »

My 4040 only does 2 lpm. I compared the output of my 4040 against my 450gpd and the 450 was a trickle compared to the 4040.
Others with a similar r/o used to fill an ibc tank in a similar time (28 hours) in summer so my unit want slow as mine took a similar time.
At 2lpm that would full my tank in just over 8 hours.

Spruce

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2020, 10:19:19 pm »

This is your major problem with the resin chamber you’re using.
When I used one of these many years ago, the resin would last a week tops.

In regards to what you have going out of the RO and into the resin, first and foremost what is your water pressure going into the membranes (mains) and are you using a booster pump?
I’d probably answer the pressure problem first before you start messing with the plumbing of your RO and then not remembering how to put it back together.

I was hoping that he would test the pure from each membrane to see if either was an issue with one membrane. Yes. Water pressure is another problem but i was trying to rule out a rouge membrane.

I wouldn't suggest he starts talking pipes of membrane housings atm

Don Kee

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2020, 10:45:20 pm »
Haven’t got a pressure tester but filling a 25 litre drum in about an hr.

These two quotes make no sense unless I’m missing something?
How can you be getting 3litres if pure a minute but filling a 25litre drum in an hour?

Mate, until you know what your ingoing water pressure, all you’ll be doing is forever guessing.
Most ingoing/outgoing tds problem questions I’ve seen on this forum with the type of RO you’re talking about have always come down to water pressure.

I recommend fitting a pressure gauge and if you find you need a pump, use the Aquatec 8800 for that type of RO.

jk999

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2020, 11:23:40 pm »
Don its two different post the 3ltr a min is mine not the 25 ltr drum in an hour ,i use a 4040 ro now and can fill my 1000 ltr ibc in just over 3 hrs