This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Burd

Re: Everyday pole length - What do you use?
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2020, 06:47:02 pm »
Using a clx for a full time experienced window cleaner is a bit like using argos spanners as a mechanic. They are fine starting out or part time use but false economy.

nope. we've been using CLXs and SLXs for about 8 years now and we all love the CLX. they last fine. the CLX 22 is a great pole. the longer versions we find too bendy and the SLX comes into its own.

a CLX will last us about a year give or take, depending on who's using it
Exactly. An SLX even with staff will last at least 2 years. More likely 3-4.

::)roll
Why the rolly eyes? It’s a fact that you’ll get 2-3 years out of an SLX. I’ve only had one CLX and it didn’t last a year but I’ve probably had 15-20 SLXs and other than a few clamps needing gluing and a couple of snapped sections they last 2 to 3 times longer. Probs not much difference in performance but a big difference in longevity. Otherwise I wouldn’t buy them.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2020, 08:35:12 pm »
I get about 6 months from an SLX. Then I sell it. If CV19 hadn't hit I was planning to drop that to 4 months.

Vin

NWH

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2020, 08:36:24 pm »
You must treat your poles with next to no respect to get that short amount of time with them.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2020, 10:25:05 pm »
You must treat your poles with next to no respect to get that short amount of time with them.

It's not like you to jump to false conclusions. Far from it: I just like working with new, unworn poles. I believe it speeds up my work enough to be worth the small depreciation I suffer when I sell a pretty much brand-new pole on.

Mike Burd

« Reply #44 on: May 20, 2020, 05:57:07 am »

It's not like you to jump to false conclusions. Far from it: I just like working with new, unworn poles. I believe it speeds up my work enough to be worth the small depreciation I suffer when I sell a pretty much brand-new pole on.
They are lovely when brand new though.  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #45 on: May 20, 2020, 06:25:07 am »
Using a clx for a full time experienced window cleaner is a bit like using argos spanners as a mechanic. They are fine starting out or part time use but false economy.

nope. we've been using CLXs and SLXs for about 8 years now and we all love the CLX. they last fine. the CLX 22 is a great pole. the longer versions we find too bendy and the SLX comes into its own.

a CLX will last us about a year give or take, depending on who's using it

Nope the clx 22 is horrible when compared with an extreme 22.

Of course if you have staff then that's what they get given and have no choice but to love them.

Dont get me wrong they are useable but if you are a full time solo operator then the pole is the most important part of your equipment, to scrimp on it is utter madness.

P @ F

« Reply #46 on: May 20, 2020, 07:00:15 am »
I just checked and my SLX18 was purchased in March 2016 .
Still going strong too , all I have had to replace has been the delrin shims .

I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

jonboywalton75

« Reply #47 on: May 20, 2020, 09:19:36 am »
I sold a 4 year old slx 22 once, after laquering it i got £180 for it

NWH

« Reply #48 on: May 20, 2020, 04:12:18 pm »
Like a good pair of shoes better when they are broken in a bit I find,the sections fly out quicker or smoother. 

robbo333

« Reply #49 on: May 20, 2020, 06:00:34 pm »
This question is to the guys that are using 22ft poles every day.....

Dont you have days where you need an extra few foot for skylights,3 storey,the odd awkward window?I'd hate to have to go back to the van for a slightly longer pole just for the odd window here and there.....

Quite simply no!
Anything higher, I either use my stepladders (which are very good), or don't bother.
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2020, 11:14:44 pm »
There maybe some truth in this but even though the clx is a budget pole I doubt it would be in Gardiners interests to sell something labelled as Argos quality.
I can remember back in the day, buying my first pole from Gardiners pre slx or clx before they produced their own..  A 39 ft universal fiberglass with a vikan brush  !  :o
Even a clx is a dream to use compared to that. If I only needed an 18 ft I'd probably just buy a clx, nowt wrong with them.

Mike Burd

« Reply #51 on: May 21, 2020, 06:12:26 am »
There maybe some truth in this but even though the clx is a budget pole I doubt it would be in Gardiners interests to sell something labelled as Argos quality.
I can remember back in the day, buying my first pole from Gardiners pre slx or clx before they produced their own..  A 39 ft universal fiberglass with a vikan brush  !  :o
Even a clx is a dream to use compared to that. If I only needed an 18 ft I'd probably just buy a clx, nowt wrong with them.
Longevity. An SLX outlasts a CLX by years.