This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G Griffin

Re: Serious Question To Those Working
« Reply #160 on: April 04, 2020, 12:47:26 am »
Question for Griff.

With the exception of the organisations covered above in the section on closing certain businesses and venues, the government has not required any other businesses to close - indeed it is important for business to carry on.

The bit in red.

The businesses which the government has closed are bars, restaurants, "non-essential shops" etc. - yes?
How do they "remain open" by your definition?

The bit in purple.

The "other businesses" are not required to close.

What is the difference in operation between businesses required to close by the government and businesses not required to close?
My business is open but I'm not working. Have I closed, temporarily? Maybe. But I haven't closed my business and neither has my old local. It's not open but it's not closed.
But the open/closed thing is to keep people 'in work' even though they might not be working.
We know why window cleaners and gardeners are allowed to work but pubs are 'closed'. It's to do with the numbers, surely?
LOL.
Don't try and work it out, Dry.
You just worry about the grant, lad.
Work it out ? without doubt its the stupidest thing that anybody has ever written on here, I only put the lol reply to stop you deleting it, happy reading when you sober up.
If that's the stupidest thing that you think anybody has ever written on here, I suggest that you look at my post history.
There's far worserer back there. I recently did a thesis that Eddie Large would liver forever and what happeneded.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Carl2009

« Reply #161 on: April 04, 2020, 06:35:23 am »
I've read all 9 pages of this and here's my penny's worth.

I'm staying home. After the lockdown was initially announced by Boris in his address to the nation I still went to work. When I came home my neighbour was in the garden and asked "Is window cleaning an essential service then?". I get on really well with her and I explained that I was permitted to work as I couldn't work from home. I worked through until the Thursday evening when Sunak announced the self-employed grant. Indeed I went to work on the Friday morning, then...

On that Friday, the 27th March: 1st customer was fine, 2nd was surprised to see me and let me know so, 3rd fine, 4th was again surprised to see me and made it clear I should be at home. I decided that long-term working during this partial lockdown might be counter-productive long term, both in terms of hacking people off and driving round in a sign-written van. Reluctantly I decided to stay home.

It didn't help because Boris was been ambiguous with what he originally said ("you can go to work if it's essential" - essential to who? did he mean key workers only?). It didn't help that on the evening of his address when the lockdown was announced the No. 10 Twitter feed published the wrong slide (see below - genuine screen shots from No 10. Twitter feed) quickly changing it after 20 mins by which time much confusion had been sown.

The grant is 80% of net profit UP TO £2500 per month. Not a flat £2500. It's also taxable, so will have to be declared, obvs. Direstors should be able to get 80% of their taxable salary (exc. dividends) if they are furloughed. For most this will be 80% of £12500, as that's when income tax kicks in and we all know why small company directors formed a company in the first place, to reduce their tax liability in an easy and legal way.

The 5% of self employed who will NOT qualify are those earning over £50k pa and those without 3 year's worth of tax records. Everyone else should get it...

Frankly no-one knows how the virus can be spread vis a vis surfaces. I've seen various accounts of how long it can survive on different surfaces. No-one knows. First masks were of no use to prevent you catching the disease, now they might be. It's all fluid.

Personally I think that working alone as a window cleaner on domestic jobs is one of the lowest risk jobs out there if sensible precautions are taken, but certainly I've been let know by some custies that I should be at home. I do worry that what was said on the telly when Sunak announced it (such as you can continue working and still get it) might be changed when it comes to June.

This is direct from the HMRC page "HMRC will contact you if you are eligible for the scheme and invite you to apply online."  and "Once HMRC has received your claim and you are eligible for the grant, we will contact you to tell you how much you will get and the payment details." My italics. Will they deem me eligible?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

At the end of the day if I stay home I'm keeping myself, my family and my customers safe and not creating fear, annoyance or anxiety for those custies who don't want me (but might be reluctant to say so). In the long run I'm hoping my strategy will be for the best. I know everyone is different and no-one should judge anyone who IS going to work whilst permitted to do so.

Keep safe one and all.

Slacky

« Reply #162 on: April 04, 2020, 06:41:05 am »
Since the lockdown Ive had four new customers call for a window cleaning quote. They’ve been visited, quoted, cleaned and paid.

One £1,350 pressure washing job enquiry which has been done.

Two walk ups outside my house enquiring about window cleaning.

An old customer enquiring about a gutter, fascia, conservatory roof and window clean.

Which part of  ‘go to work if you cannot work from home’ means dont go to work?

Slacky

Soupy

Slacky

« Reply #166 on: April 04, 2020, 08:04:55 am »
https://www.facebook.com/100001099046293/posts/2912872072092732/

If it’s that boring go and do something.

I have.

Why the hostility?

Need a hug?

Isn’t hostility sweetheart, a suggestion.

Being bored isnt good for your mental wellbeing. Just trying to help.

BTW, you do a  very good Tosh impression.

Soupy

« Reply #167 on: April 04, 2020, 08:17:46 am »
OK. I'm not bored though but thanks for the heads up.

jonny thompson

« Reply #168 on: April 04, 2020, 08:25:25 am »
Hi mate I’m doing about 3-4 mornings a week, but only the ones I text the night before and pay into bank, I’ve also had a few requests for us to come,in 3 weeks I’ve only had about 4-5 who said leave it,it’s as safe as going for a walk, but wear gloves, take care bungle

Stoots

« Reply #169 on: April 04, 2020, 08:41:15 am »
I've read all 9 pages of this and here's my penny's worth.

I'm staying home. After the lockdown was initially announced by Boris in his address to the nation I still went to work. When I came home my neighbour was in the garden and asked "Is window cleaning an essential service then?". I get on really well with her and I explained that I was permitted to work as I couldn't work from home. I worked through until the Thursday evening when Sunak announced the self-employed grant. Indeed I went to work on the Friday morning, then...

On that Friday, the 27th March: 1st customer was fine, 2nd was surprised to see me and let me know so, 3rd fine, 4th was again surprised to see me and made it clear I should be at home. I decided that long-term working during this partial lockdown might be counter-productive long term, both in terms of hacking people off and driving round in a sign-written van. Reluctantly I decided to stay home.

It didn't help because Boris was been ambiguous with what he originally said ("you can go to work if it's essential" - essential to who? did he mean key workers only?). It didn't help that on the evening of his address when the lockdown was announced the No. 10 Twitter feed published the wrong slide (see below - genuine screen shots from No 10. Twitter feed) quickly changing it after 20 mins by which time much confusion had been sown.

The grant is 80% of net profit UP TO £2500 per month. Not a flat £2500. It's also taxable, so will have to be declared, obvs. Direstors should be able to get 80% of their taxable salary (exc. dividends) if they are furloughed. For most this will be 80% of £12500, as that's when income tax kicks in and we all know why small company directors formed a company in the first place, to reduce their tax liability in an easy and legal way.

The 5% of self employed who will NOT qualify are those earning over £50k pa and those without 3 year's worth of tax records. Everyone else should get it...

Frankly no-one knows how the virus can be spread vis a vis surfaces. I've seen various accounts of how long it can survive on different surfaces. No-one knows. First masks were of no use to prevent you catching the disease, now they might be. It's all fluid.

Personally I think that working alone as a window cleaner on domestic jobs is one of the lowest risk jobs out there if sensible precautions are taken, but certainly I've been let know by some custies that I should be at home. I do worry that what was said on the telly when Sunak announced it (such as you can continue working and still get it) might be changed when it comes to June.

This is direct from the HMRC page "HMRC will contact you if you are eligible for the scheme and invite you to apply online."  and "Once HMRC has received your claim and you are eligible for the grant, we will contact you to tell you how much you will get and the payment details." My italics. Will they deem me eligible?
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme

At the end of the day if I stay home I'm keeping myself, my family and my customers safe and not creating fear, annoyance or anxiety for those custies who don't want me (but might be reluctant to say so). In the long run I'm hoping my strategy will be for the best. I know everyone is different and no-one should judge anyone who IS going to work whilst permitted to do so.

Keep safe one and all.

Your neighbour is a poopbag

« Reply #170 on: April 04, 2020, 10:25:12 am »

[/quote]

Your neighbour is a poopbag
[/quote]

Why  ? They've only interpreted  the government advice same as rest of general public and asked a valid question. We've interpreted it differently to suit ourselves.

I'm not saying its right or wrong to be working btw.
I've worked the last week and have a a full days job booked for Monday. Beyond that I may review my decision as this situation escalates. In answer to the OP's question.......I've worked while safe and possible to do so, hand picking appropriate work that I know will carry a negligible risk to myself, customer or public,  to put enough money in the bank to tide me over until I hear from HMRC in June.  I've had only positive comments for this approach. Some asked me by text. Others I asked by text. Some I just turned up to and they saw me and gave a smile and thumbs up through the window. The only exception was a text last night. Customer thanked me and paid online, concerned for my health requested I stay home but she'd continue to pay me anyway , not that I'm going to accept free money from her, I will do from the government though. We'll all be paying it back in higher taxes/ni anyways whether we take it or not.

Dry Clean

« Reply #171 on: April 04, 2020, 10:47:50 am »
I would say his neighbour is more of an idiot than a poopbag, probably a teacher or public sector worker sitting at home on full pay or married to one,  3months off on the sick yearly with full pay will be nothing new to most off them.
When this is all over and has to be paid for the first thing I would do is remove full salary sick pay for all public sector workers with the exception of our NHS staff who more than deserve it.

Dry Clean

« Reply #172 on: April 04, 2020, 11:03:14 am »
Question for Griff.

With the exception of the organisations covered above in the section on closing certain businesses and venues, the government has not required any other businesses to close - indeed it is important for business to carry on.

The bit in red.

The businesses which the government has closed are bars, restaurants, "non-essential shops" etc. - yes?

The bit in purple.

What is the difference in operation between businesses required to close by the government and businesses not required to close?
My business is open but I'm not working. Have I closed, temporarily? Maybe. But I haven't closed my business and neither has my old local. It's not open but it's not closed.
But the open/closed thing is to keep people 'in work' even though they might not be working.
We know why window cleaners and gardeners are allowed to work but pubs are 'closed'. It's to do with the numbers, surely?
LOL.

The grant's got him, I think it's the plain English part..... the same struggle as Tosh!!😬🤐

If I was interested in grants/handouts I would have spent my life on the dole, Ill pay my own way if you don't mind.
Pride comes before a Falls, Dryo.
You'll never know when you might need a helping hand, young fellow m'Jim.
I'm always here for you.....but make sure it's after closing time.
Believe me Griff pride has nothing to do with it, I have had been on the dole, luckily if wasn't for long as it wasn't a pleasant or financially rewarding experience,  its also what makes me very suspicious of generous no strings attached handouts being promised by the government.

Missing Link

« Reply #173 on: April 04, 2020, 11:19:28 am »
BTW, you do a  very good Tosh impression.

No he doesn't, he just cuts and pastes my stuff. :-\

The bloke has no panache.
Pronouns She/Her/Madam/Ma'am

Missing Link

« Reply #174 on: April 04, 2020, 11:20:40 am »
Isn’t hostility sweetheart, a suggestion.

But you're nicking my stuff too.

Stop it.

Go and get your own insults, ffs, and stop using mine.

Slacky

« Reply #175 on: April 04, 2020, 11:24:12 am »
It can't be your 'stuff'.

I have far more panache than you.

G Griffin

« Reply #176 on: April 04, 2020, 11:39:19 am »
Which part of  ‘go to work if you cannot work from home’ means dont go to work?
If you work in a pub.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #177 on: April 04, 2020, 11:44:22 am »
Question for Griff.

The bit in red.

The bit in purple.

LOL.

The grant's got him, I think it's the plain English part..... the same struggle as Tosh!!😬🤐

If I was interested in grants/handouts I would have spent my life on the dole, Ill pay my own way if you don't mind.
Pride comes before a Falls, Dryo.
You'll never know when you might need a helping hand, young fellow m'Jim.
I'm always here for you.....but make sure it's after closing time.
Believe me Griff pride has nothing to do with it, I have had been on the dole, luckily if wasn't for long as it wasn't a pleasant or financially rewarding experience,  its also what makes me very suspicious of generous no strings attached handouts being promised by the government.
The chancellor mentioned a string. We'll get less tax breaks. Pay it back in some way. We always do.
It's an economic decision that is will also help the government too, hopefully.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

geefree

« Reply #178 on: April 04, 2020, 01:51:37 pm »
I'm working because I have no savings.
I can't wait until June for money.
I'm also working because I'm allowed to.
But I'm also staying safe..
All my customers are at home , so I signal to them to pay online without leaving a slip (most of them  ).
Those who pay cash leave it on a wheelie bin or something. Then the cash goes in a carrier  bag and stays untouched for a couple of days..
I decided to return to work on Monday  and I have not  been in contact with one person all week .  From a distance everyone is happy to see me,  as are dog walkers and passers by , strangers wave and chat from a good distance.
One passer by  said its nice to see me, it brings a little normality to the street.
I live alone and work alone.

Missing Link

« Reply #179 on: April 04, 2020, 02:12:14 pm »
Some good advice for those who're still working...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHWVYl5eDMg&feature=youtu.be