Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G Griffin

Re: maybe a 6 month lockdown/restrictions...will some of you go back?
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2020, 10:44:49 am »
the talk is of 6 months now........for those that employ surely its time for a rethink? (1 man,1 van)and send them out if you can to save your business?...... ???
Blow a whistle and send 'them over the top'?
It might not be the best time to do this- ordering new vans, systems, poles, contracts, insurance etc.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

AuRavelling79

« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2020, 10:53:10 am »
”The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.“

I’m not entirely convinced of that argument. For many factories and businesses an overnight closure would prove difficult. Many have commitments to customers I would imagine and so probably have run till friday just gone to complete orders and tie up the business. Depends on what they are producing too.
A bed company near me kept running all week. For all I know they could be supplying mattresses to the hospitals?

Good point. A friend of mine works selling glass for a glass manufacturer. His company continued until last Friday completing orders and I believe the factory shut Friday and final deliveries go out today and tomorrow. My friend was instructed to stop selling glass by the end of last Tuesday.

He is self employed and his accountant says he qualifies for the £2,500 S/E payment as his three year "profit" average scrapes under the 50K limit.

The factory workers laid off on Friday and the delivery drivers laid off tomorrow get Furloughed.

Interestingly many of the deliveries couldn't be made to the double glazing unit manufacturers because they had shut up their shops and sent their workers home.

Now - making double glazed units doesn't generally seem to be a necessary occupation (unless they are being used in a new hospital?) and so they have shut.

Do you really think the government is going to say to these businesses that they could have continued so that Mr and Mrs Homecastle can have their new conservatory or replacement windows?
It's a game of three halves!

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2020, 10:55:02 am »
Here you go, if you have lost trading profits/income due to Covid-19 you are eligible. I have and so according to the Gov, I am eligible.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/claim-a-grant-through-the-coronavirus-covid-19-self-employment-income-support-scheme
Comfortably Numb!

Granny

« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2020, 12:06:03 pm »
The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed, you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.
This was announced by the DUP on the N Ireland politics show on Sunday because the public are getting annoyed at non essential factory's and businesses who are refusing to close.“
There will be many of us who " have  lost business due to government actions over the virus" O.K we haven't been forced to close but ringing round this morning seeing who's open for tomorrow's work there are loads of places closed for 12 weeks.
I may still be working whenever I can but the loss is real.

JackieW

« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »
I thought it  was ''lost income due to coronavirus'' .

So if i get coronavirus and so do other members of my household which means I have to self isolate, for an extended period,
if  customers say please leave it for a while because of coronavirus,
if my supplier cannot supply me with resin because of the coronavirus,
surely I will have ''lost income due to coronavirus'' and therefore should be able to make a claim. Doesn't mean the claim will be accepted of course.

What it is not clear is if I decide of my own volition to down tools for three months? :)

James Styles

« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2020, 12:36:50 pm »
I don’t think lockdown will happen for 6 months, more like 2 months then social distancing

G Griffin

« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2020, 12:50:30 pm »

So if i get coronavirus and so do other members of my household which means I have to self isolate, for an extended period,
surely I will have ''lost income due to coronavirus'' and therefore should be able to make a claim. Doesn't mean the claim will be accepted of course.

What it is not clear is if I decide of my own volition to down tools for three months? :)
You've been asked to stay home though. And what's to say that you won't be affected later in the year because of corona and you've already received the grant?
As things stand, I think the grant is a one-off payment for most self employed people and I think some are being a bit too suspicious.
We're still at the beginning of this. 
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Dry Clean

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2020, 01:51:28 pm »
”The vast majority of the UK workforce wont be covered which is why many factories and other businesses haven't closed,  you will need to have  lost business due to government actions over the virus or have been forced to close to qualify.

I’m not entirely convinced of that argument. For many factories and businesses an overnight closure would prove difficult. Many have commitments to customers I would imagine and so probably have run till friday just gone to complete orders and tie up the business. Depends on what they are producing too.
A bed company near me kept running all week. For all I know they could be supplying mattresses to the hospitals?

It not an argument Dave, I'm not saying that factory's staying open is a black and white issue, I'm just explaining what the DUP said in regards to the 80% pay out and why they felt the need to clarify it to the public.

Dry Clean

« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2020, 02:03:42 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing, if you employ and walk away from work then your employees get nothing, that has been made brutally clear by the DUP MP's in N. Ireland, believe me if they where wrong or lying the BBC would have pointed it out.

davids3511

« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2020, 02:45:57 pm »

You've been asked to stay home though. And what's to say that you won't be affected later in the year because of corona and you've already received the grant?
As things stand, I think the grant is a one-off payment for most self employed people and I think some are being a bit too suspicious.
You haven't been asked to stay at home, your making a moral decision to stay at home against government guidelines.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2020, 03:19:12 pm »
I'm not sure if they will get stricter either, I think they will want to keep the economy running to some extent unless the virus gets totally out of hand.

It's eerily out this morning.

Anyway time will tell, and 6 months isn't news, anyone who thought this would be weeks is kidding themselves but hope I'm wrong.

For me this is why I’m working shortened hours, but keeping on working.

Could be like this for 6 months quite easily I think, and I still don’t think I’m eligible for the 80% grant.

Time will tell.

Why don’t you think you’ll be eligible Jonny? I won’t be either.

If you can believe what you read on other forums and Facebook (I know you can’t) then a few sole traders have had their accountants say they aren’t eligible.

My feeling is that because we can still work we aren’t covered,

And most importantly I haven’t heard or read anything from hmrc that says I am.

I think we will be part of the 5% that aren’t covered. Who knows though yet?  ???
My accountant said unless the government have a major re-think on the support package (which is highly unlikely)I will definitely be elegible whether I’m working or not.

Dave Willis

« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2020, 03:31:58 pm »

It not an argument Dave, I'm not saying that factory's staying open is a black and white issue, I'm just explaining what the DUP said in regards to the 80% pay out and why they felt the need to clarify it to the public.

That’s ok Dry Clean, prob the wrong word there 👍

Crystal-clear

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 03:44:47 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing, if you employ and walk away from work then your employees get nothing, that has been made brutally clear by the DUP MP's in N. Ireland, believe me if they where wrong or lying the BBC would have pointed it out.

This is a good statement I'd be well surprised if we drop tools to get back dated 80% payouts. Thats because the whole country can do the same cant see how that can be sustained. Those business told to cease trade or semi trade such as restaurants to go take out only.
But those told not to specifically stop  ??

Paul-kent

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 03:53:56 pm »
Social distancing cash payment issue sorted   ;D ;D ;D

Slacky

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 03:55:41 pm »
Thats a 20lb’er.

You should’ve seen the one that got away.

Dry Clean

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 04:16:54 pm »
For anybody interested heres the link

Democratic Unionist Party - Decisions on manufacturing ...
https://www.facebook.com/democraticunionistparty/videos/350738669198287

DAERA Minister Edwin Poots on BBC Sunday Politics. Only businesses severely impacted by COVID-19 can avail of the 80% employment support grant. If you are calling on some other businesses to close you may be asking workers to go home and receive no pay.

Paul-kent

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 04:18:59 pm »
Thats a 20lb’er.

You should’ve seen the one that got away.

Took me around 20 min to land that sucker couldn’t do that working from home  :-X :-X

G Griffin

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 04:34:52 pm »

You haven't been asked to stay at home, your making a moral decision to stay at home against government guidelines.
You've interpreted the message differently to me then, David.
How am I going against government guidelines? I didn't go out for food today, so is that going against government guidelines, too?
And you don't know my situation, so don't tell me it's a moral decision. If I went to work I would be going against government guidelines. Would you like me to explain?
And are you saying that I wouldn't be eligible for the government grant by not working and breaking the government guidelines, in doing so?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

G Griffin

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 04:40:09 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing,
I'm not having that.
How can they possibly police that?
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

p1w1

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 05:22:58 pm »

As window cleaner who is still allowed to work if you decide to down tools and walk away from work then you will get nothing,
I'm not having that.
How can they possibly police that?
more second-guessing I'm afraid, like nearly every other topic regarding all the virus problems.