This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bungle

Re: My experience of asking customers whether to continue working
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 04:54:28 pm »
For what it's worth.

I was unsure  whether to carry on next week or not. So I decided to text and email my customers and ask them whether they would prefer to postpone my services or not.

I explained about social distancing, no contact, working alone, disposable gloves, little risk  etc etc.
I explained that the government have not said not to work, instead have said to carry on work.
That there is no instruction that only  'essential' workers are allowed to work.

Most, but not all,responded and apart from a tiny minority, almost all replies were along the vein, that 'yes, you can continue.'.

However, I have still decided that I would rather heed the message to stay home, as I personally feel it's the right thing to do for me.

So I contacted my customers with my decision in a follow up message.

Response:

Far more honest and appreciative. Rather than short 'yes we are happy to continue' it has been more detailed of their thought processes in whether they actually agree or not.

Most have said they feel that to not carry on is the right decision but they just didn't want to say that before as they wanted to support me as they know its my livelihood.

So it got me thinking, that if I had carried on, some of my customers would deep down not have been that comfortable with it but just wouldn't say.

Since telling them of my decision to pause , several customers who did not reply to my first text asking for their views have now replied, saying that  they didn't want to say no before,  but feel that I've now done the correct thing, and they've acknowledged its not a straightforward decision.

Now, whether I'm right or wrong in my decision,  I do feel happier.

Whether I regret it in the next few weeks and months as I don't have an income coming in and I hear about all the window cleaners on this site continuing to work and earning,  only time will tell.

I think you are trying to convince yourself that not working is the correct thing to do. As stated previously we are working as normal because we are following the government guidelines. So far we have picked up 14 new customers from other local window cleaning companies because they emailed their customer base informing customers that they are not working. This will continue. Don't think your customers will be loyal to you. Summer is coming and people want clean windows and conny's. What will you do when the lockdown is extended to July?

Are really doing that? I can’t for a minute think you are. I’m pretty sure people aren’t thinking, hmm better get another window cleaner in, our regular guy has decided he can’t be 4rsed coming anymore.

If you did that to me I .... probably best I don’t say anymore.
We look at them, they look through them.

p1w1

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 04:57:30 pm »
For what it's worth.

I was unsure  whether to carry on next week or not. So I decided to text and email my customers and ask them whether they would prefer to postpone my services or not.

I explained about social distancing, no contact, working alone, disposable gloves, little risk  etc etc.
I explained that the government have not said not to work, instead have said to carry on work.
That there is no instruction that only  'essential' workers are allowed to work.

Most, but not all,responded and apart from a tiny minority, almost all replies were along the vein, that 'yes, you can continue.'.

However, I have still decided that I would rather heed the message to stay home, as I personally feel it's the right thing to do for me.

Response:

Far more honest and appreciative. Rather than short 'yes we are happy to continue' it has been more detailed of their thought processes in whether they actually agree or not.

Most have said they feel that to not carry on is the right decision but they just didn't want to say that before as they wanted to support me as they know its my livelihood.

So it got me thinking, that if I had carried on, some of my customers would deep down not have been that comfortable with it but just wouldn't say.

Since telling them of my decision to pause , several customers who did not reply to my first text asking for their views have now replied, saying that  they didn't want to say no before,  but feel that I've now done the correct thing, and they've acknowledged its not a straightforward decision.

Whether I regret it in the next few weeks and months as I don't have an income coming in and I hear about all the window cleaners on this site continuing to work and earning,  only time will tell.

I think you are trying to convince yourself that not working is the correct thing to do. As stated previously we are working as normal because we are following the government guidelines. So far we have picked up 14 new customers from other local window cleaning companies because they emailed their customer base informing customers that they are not working. This will continue. Don't think your customers will be loyal to you. Summer is coming and people want clean windows and conny's. What will you do when the lockdown is extended to July?

Are really doing that? I can’t for a minute think you are. I’m pretty sure people aren’t thinking, hmm better get another window cleaner in, our regular guy has decided he can’t be 4rsed coming anymore.

If you did that to me I .... probably best I don’t say anymore.
Exactly..full of poop

vistech

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 04:58:46 pm »
Not the kind of customers I would like on my books

Status Check

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 04:59:46 pm »
Do what to who? They just book on the website..... It's only after talking to them (at a distance) you realise they have binned there cleaner.

Stoots

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 05:04:13 pm »
If someone asks for their windows cleaning i dont ask if they have another cleaner., Its none of my concern, i`ll quote them and if i get it i`ll clean it. simple as that.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #25 on: March 29, 2020, 05:15:51 pm »
If someone asks for their windows cleaning i dont ask if they have another cleaner., Its none of my concern, i`ll quote them and if i get it i`ll clean it. simple as that.

Same here.

I went into my local chippy on Fri night as my local Mcdonald drive though is closed. The chip shop did not ask me were I normally go, nor did they refuse to serve me out of loyalty to Mcdonalds.  :D ;D
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

James Styles

« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2020, 05:16:28 pm »
For what it's worth.

Response:

All this is doing is making people who have chosen to stay home more anxious/stressed as they will be worrying about other windies taking their customers, I’m not saying you mean to do this as you said they just booked up online but imo those customers are nobs if they are jumping ship with all this going on. 

CleanClear

« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2020, 05:20:27 pm »

Nope. Didn't happen of the Year Award.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2020, 05:31:29 pm »
For what it's worth.

Response:

All this is doing is making people who have chosen to stay home more anxious/stressed as they will be worrying about other windies taking their customers, I’m not saying you mean to do this as you said they just booked up online but imo those customers are nobs if they are jumping ship with all this going on.

James, don't worry.  Most will stay loyal.  The ones you lose are not ones you need anyway.
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

andyM

« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2020, 05:32:50 pm »

Some of the old dears are ruthless.
They mark the date of your next visit on their little calendar a month or more in advance, even if you had not agreed to it.
Then if you turn up later than what the X on their little calendar says you are greeted with their exaggerated arm waving movements as you exit your van followed by a barrage of expletives which would put a 1970's "adult" comedian to shame.  And when you reply "Well do you want me to still do them then?"
They reply (through gritted dentures) "Go on then, i was just about to ring someone else but you'll do for now, and i want you to do the inside kitchen window this time?"   
These are the one's that will jump ship given half a chance.
One of the Plebs

Granny

« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2020, 08:18:48 pm »
"No need for that is there"
Satus Check. You might want to consider you're own status.
Part of humanity and the window cleaning fraternity, or an absolute tawt.

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2020, 11:34:46 pm »
Imagine Dazmonds doorstep banter this week,
Custy: crikey Dazmond, didn’t expect to see you out working,
Daz: it’s fine, government said I can and besides I wear rubber gloves.
Custy: no holiday this year then Daz?
Daz, too right I’ve got a fivestar holiday booked in Zante I’m going to row there if I have too.
Custy: dreadful isn’t it this virus thing?
Daz: na, it’s just mild flu
Custy: how’s the family?
Daz, Mum’s got it, Dads got it, Brothers probably got it, his family have probably got it, chap in the newsagents has just died from it. Apart from that fine.
Here’s your mug back Mrs, see you in four weeks, take care.

Yep that's about right dave! ;D.......

On topic I just send my usual text to customers that I notify....most are turn up and clean....if they come out and want to skip,that's fine under the circumstances......4 skippers last week and 5 new jobs.....

Keep it simple guys.....IMO the less said the better.....some of you really seem to overcomplicate a simple notification process

Have you ever thought your customers maybe just want a normal matter of fact text or you to act as normal as possible without all the extra waffle?

Your making a rod for your own back IMO......
price higher/work harder!

Seel

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2020, 09:14:13 am »
Great post......I have done something similar and came to the same conclusion.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2020, 09:41:33 am »
For what it's worth.

Response:

Status Check, are you actually saying that 14 new customers from other local window cleaning companies (who have told them by email they are not working due to corona) have come to you to get their windows cleaned in the first week of a government "lockdown" to defeat coronavirus?

Really?
It's a game of three halves!

AuRavelling79

« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2020, 09:46:35 am »
Do what to who? They just book on the website..... It's only after talking to them (at a distance) you realise they have binned there cleaner.

So now you are saying you  have talked to them - at a distance - and they have binned their cleaner(s).  All within a few days of a government lockdown and them being emailed that their current cleaner has emailed them they are not working due to corona?
It's a game of three halves!

gary999

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2020, 09:57:07 am »
On my limited travels..i haven't seen one Shiner out working...normally see at least a dozen...i do know of one out whose
work is pretty much rural but none in the Town areas.

dazmond

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2020, 04:40:10 pm »
On my limited travels..i haven't seen one Shiner out working...normally see at least a dozen...i do know of one out whose
work is pretty much rural but none in the Town areas.

i havent either gary!not seen any window cleaners working!ive seen quite a few gardeners though and had a chat with a few of them(at a distance naturally)....binmen,postmen and delivery drivers are in abundance......
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2020, 05:02:39 pm »
Poachers will be out while you are spinning the wheel with Phil and Holly.

G Griffin

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2020, 05:26:17 pm »
Poachers will be out while you are spinning the wheel with Phil and Holly.
Poachers get the virus, too.
I won't get if off Phil or Holly.
Unfortunately.
⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

NWH

« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2020, 08:02:24 pm »
I bet you still go  to the supermarkets though that’s the real breeding ground for this especially when you pass the tracksuit wearing latest Nike Air Max wearing chavs that think this virus is transmitted through the inside of a condom,hence why they never wear them and they usual followed by a football team of kids 🤣.
If you think you’ll get this out working on your own over that think again