This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

simon w

Chemical container recycling
« on: March 06, 2020, 07:30:12 am »
What do you guy's do with your empty chemical containers especially the larger 25 L ones etc? Mine are currently washed out and neatly stacked behind the garage but growing in number week on week  ;D I have just applied for a waste tier 1 waste certificate and will be taking them along to the business/commercial side of my sort it centre over the next few days Suez I believe it's called.

Hoping they don't expect me to register as Tier 2 and have to pay the £150 something fee to use their sites for disposal. But I guess I'll find out when they pounce on me as I arrive at the managers office  :P 

Mike Halliday

Re: Chemical container recycling
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2020, 08:06:15 am »
They are a nightmare to get rid of, I have loads littered around the garden.

I takes off the labels and put them in the customers blue recycle bin, I’m honest with the customer and tell then I can’t get rid of them as I might use 20 a week and for me they are commercial waste but they are recyclable so can go in their blue bin
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Smudger

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2020, 11:42:30 pm »
Our Hypo supplier has the black ones and refills them

the rest either go in our waste skip or stack them near the site entrance with a note saying "free" - they are always gone the next day  ;D

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2020, 09:04:43 am »
Just got turned away from our Sort It Centre and told to come back on Monday as it's commercial waste and the manager only works Mon-Fri and apparently the van has to go over the weigh bridge 7 empty 25 litre plastic containers  ::)roll

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2020, 09:45:35 am »
This is a big problem I have been unable to find anyone to take them the recycling center said it’s trade waist and won’t accept it the suppliers won’t take them back so I put a few out each week for the dustmen  what happens to them then I have no idear landfills maybe ?? I don’t like this but what else can we do ???

simon w

« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2020, 10:08:00 am »
This is a big problem I have been unable to find anyone to take them the recycling center said it’s trade waist and won’t accept it the suppliers won’t take them back so I put a few out each week for the dustmen  what happens to them then I have no idear landfills maybe ?? I don’t like this but what else can we do ???

If you put them in your plastic recycling box and they take it away then it gets recycled. I have registered on line for the tier 1 business waste licence which I have as a pdf file saved on my phone. If they accept I'm tier 1 when I finally get to speak to those in charge of commercial waste at my sort it centre then taking empties there should be free. If the Manager believes I'm Tier 2 then I'll have a £150 something pound fee to pay for the year in which case I'll be throwing them in the river Avon to wash out to sea for the dolphins to play with (joke) 

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2020, 06:46:03 pm »

If you put them in your plastic recycling box and they take it away then it gets recycled. I have registered on line for the tier 1 business waste licence which I have as a pdf file saved on my phone. If they accept I'm tier 1 when I finally get to speak to those in charge of commercial waste at my sort it centre then taking empties there should be free. If the Manager believes I'm Tier 2 then I'll have a £150 something pound fee to pay for the year in which case I'll be throwing them in the river Avon to wash out to sea for the dolphins to play with (joke)

They won’t take them they leave them behind I spoke to the guys in the recycling lorry and they said they only take house hold recycling and 20 ltr drums are trade waist ,I have the same issues with 20 ltr Virosol drums as well , no one wants to know or take them ,I spoke to the farm shop where I buy hypo and suggested that they should go back to the manufacture to be re filled and there reply was that they cannot re fill them as they may be damaged and leak then they would be liable !,,, so they only fill new drums !,

DrewHastings

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2020, 07:41:49 am »

Hoping they don't expect me to register as Tier 2 and have to pay the £150 something fee to use their sites for disposal. But I guess I'll find out when they pounce on me as I arrive at the managers office  :P

Tier 1 or lower tier is used when transporting your own waste. That being waste you generate in your own business (these containers are in that bracket). Everyone should have one (its free) as even buying a Mars Bar, and putting it wrapper in the van door can be classed as transporting waste.

Tier 2 (or upper tier) is used when transporting other peoples waste, like house clearance, bags of rubbish from cleaning jobs etc.

Be aware that the tip may have a minimum payment, especially if you're having to go over the weigh bridge. Typically, this is about £70 to £80 inc VAT, but it varies.  If you have no luck there, start ringing around the local skip companies, and ask them if they have a 'waste transfer station' and let you bring your waste in to them. That way, you can talk to someone who isn't a robot, and come to an arrangement.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2020, 10:17:55 am »
I sometimes just remove the labels and stick 9-10 in the back of my estate, then take them to the tip. I’ve been asked once what the were used for and I told them I had them filled with salt water for my fish pond.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

simon w

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 10:59:37 am »

Tier 1 or lower tier is used when transporting your own waste. That being waste you generate in your own business (these containers are in that bracket). Everyone should have one (its free) as even buying a Mars Bar, and putting it wrapper in the van door can be classed as transporting waste.

Tier 2 (or upper tier) is used when transporting other peoples waste, like house clearance, bags of rubbish from cleaning jobs etc.

Be aware that the tip may have a minimum payment, especially if you're having to go over the weigh bridge. Typically, this is about £70 to £80 inc VAT, but it varies.  If you have no luck there, start ringing around the local skip companies, and ask them if they have a 'waste transfer station' and let you bring your waste in to them. That way, you can talk to someone who isn't a robot, and come to an arrangement.

Nicely explained Drew. Looks like I should be ok tomorrow when I go to the sort it centre