This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Re: Not cleaning insides
« Reply #20 on: March 03, 2020, 08:38:34 pm »
My work is rural Nathan they have dogs Horses so that means flys in the warmer months when the windows are always open slightly,the jobs I have that are in and out are usually bigger places they are well worth the effort.
I think you need to offer a complete window cleaning service as far as the glass goes,I wouldn’t do what they do in America with cleaning out the shuts etc but they will charge a 1000 dollars a job in some cases that are once a year and 2 of them spend a full day doing it,washing all round the frames inside etc I would never offer that but if you are not offering an in and out service you are only saying you’ll provide half a job imo not that I want to do insides all the time but I think you should at least be able to offer that service.

what does it matter anyway whether you refuse insides or not?...i used to take on anything years ago...through trial and error and experience i want the easiest,low stress working day  possible so i dont offer inside cleaning anymore.......same with gutter clearing and most conny roofs...i cant be bothered anymore....it doesnt make me any less of a window cleaner! ;D...just a smarter one who picks and chooses what work he wants to do....
price higher/work harder!

NWH

« Reply #21 on: March 03, 2020, 08:59:10 pm »
If you do a largish place in and out you can earn a good days money stopping in one place for 5-6 hours Daz with engine off.

Stoots

« Reply #22 on: March 03, 2020, 09:17:18 pm »
If you can’t squidge you ain’t a proper window cleaner in my book,and I mean be able to squidge quickly and effectively on all types of glass-windows not just just push a pole up and down.
I earn crap loads more than I ever did or would with a blade with a pole but let’s face it cleaning by hand you need dexterity and skill that has to be learned just like plastering.

This always makes me laugh.

Like it's hard to use a squeegee. It's not hard it's just not needed today. Unless of course you do insides, lots of us choose not to because it's a fanny about of a job creeping round someones house in your socks sweating your tits off.. Not for me.

To be fair, its very very rare I've even been asked to do insides. Maybe been asked a dozen times in 5 years.  It's not something I ever think about day to day.

zesty

« Reply #23 on: March 03, 2020, 09:31:39 pm »
I use my trad tools fairly often Adam, I’ve got a car show room, so inside requires squeegee, and several other jobs that need insides done, but I charge good amounts so it’s worth it.

For me, it’s how I learnt the ‘trade’ so it’s no bother, but I don’t enjoy it.

Once you’ve been wfp, trad becomes a nuisance. To think I did it trad for 8 years before going WFP. I should have gone wfp much earlier than I did (2014).

There is an art to trad cleaning though, I do quite like the fact that a lot of newer window cleaners can’t use trad tools, it does create a small niche area for inside work, but you do have to charge well for it, because it takes ages and is annoying!

You’re right though, you can have a perfectly good round without ever touching a squeegee.

NWH

« Reply #24 on: March 03, 2020, 09:52:04 pm »
It doesn’t take ages if you know what you are doing,all window cleaners should be able to use a squeegee end of there are times when you’ll need it,I know one bloke he’s got no tear equipment just an old rag to do a few lanes on the odd door lol.
Yeah it’s easy especially on sunny days like today lol I bet they look lovely when some people have cleaned inside when they don’t know what there doing.

zesty

« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2020, 10:25:23 pm »
It doesn’t take ages if you know what you are doing,all window cleaners should be able to use a squeegee end of there are times when you’ll need it,I know one bloke he’s got no tear equipment just an old rag to do a few lanes on the odd door lol.
Yeah it’s easy especially on sunny days like today lol I bet they look lovely when some people have cleaned inside when they don’t know what there doing.

It takes ages in comparison to WFP, the car showroom I do has big tall panes of glass.

Outside takes half hour, inside over an hour. It’s a faff. Wfp is always going to be easier and much more efficient, hence why so many newbies never bother to learn.

I clean a fair few offices inside and out, the inside takes way longer, Having to move stuff out the way, climb over tables, detail the edges, wipe the frame and/or ledge.

Inside work is just much more annoying than water fed poling the outside. That’s why I charge more for insides personally.

I do think all window cleaners should be able to use a squeegee too, but as I said, I don’t actually mind, means more work for the guys that can use trad tools. Also means you can charge more as there is that bit less competition.

NWH

« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2020, 10:27:23 pm »
Garages are a piece of pee with a wagtail much easier than WFP again if you know what your doing,you won’t beat a Wagtail for speed on windows especially big panes like garage showrooms like you are talking about.

zesty

« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2020, 07:57:58 am »
Wrong, they have small side glass panels next to each pane, they also have large metal support points near the edges of each pane which makes using a wagtail a mare.

Mate you need to to stop assuming.

If you want to meet me there one day and we have a race, you on a wagtail, me with a WFP you’ll be embarrassed.

Stop making assumptions, WFP is far far quicker, how do I know? Because unlike you, I’m the one that cleans the job, not you 😎

Wfp is almost always quicker than trad. Almost no exceptions. That’s the main point.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2020, 08:16:06 am »
I hate cleaning inside windows that much that I lost a nice domestic job a few years ago because I refused to do them......they took me back on last year after a 5 year hiatus(outside only)....

They had 2 trad lads cleaning theirs....I dont know what happened to them.....
price higher/work harder!

cgh window cleaning

« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2020, 08:27:40 am »
I'm full commercial inside and trad work are sometimes a daily occurrence for me.If I didn't do them I would have to go back to houses.
When the weather is really bad like it has been lately the insides of a nice big office can be a welcome relief.

jay moley

« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:31 am »
The thing is you're the boss.

Each of us can decide whether to clean insides or not.

What suits one won't suit the other.

NWH

« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2020, 09:09:44 am »
I know WFP is quicker on 99% of work I would never go back to trad obviously but imo you must be able to use a mop and blade or you are just a window sweeper lol.

NWH

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2020, 09:10:49 am »
It’s tragic to watch some people using a squeegee.

zesty

« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2020, 11:16:19 am »
I know WFP is quicker on 99% of work I would never go back to trad obviously but imo you must be able to use a mop and blade or you are just a window sweeper lol.

I agree, i think it’s very important to be able to use trad tools, most of the newer guys never bother, more work for us who can use them!

deeege

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2020, 11:50:01 am »
Being a window cleaner and not being able to use a squeegee is like being a barber and not being able to use clippers.

You’ll no doubt be able to make a decent living but you’ll be restricting yourself from being able to take on well paying internal commercial jobs.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

Granny

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2020, 11:54:21 am »
I avoid them like the plague.
I did one for a bank manager once (assume respectability) dirty knickers all over the bedroom floor along with used condoms.
Ghastly, never again!

NWH

« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2020, 12:36:56 pm »
Just collect the knickers you can get right in the corners with them lol.