This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jay Le Huray

number 13 lucky for some
« on: February 18, 2020, 03:13:19 pm »
I'm halfway through increasing my prices, most of them are being increased by £1,   jobs of £16 above by £2

the other day I told a customer that it would be increased £1 …. small house of only £12

she replied "no problem but 13 is an unlucky number so we better make it £14" …. me "yes I think we can do that"

another customer was £16 so I told him it would be going up to £18 to which he replied "just make it £20 Jay it's a round figure"
who am I to argue with that?

mufcglen

Re: number 13 lucky for some
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2020, 03:57:05 pm »
Sounds like your underpriced😂
I’ve had customers like that, they understand that when they get good service from somebody they can trust they’re happy to pay that little bit more I’ve found.
I had a guy once suggest I let customers decide what they want to pay suggesting he’d pay more, he’s not underpriced by any means but was an interesting suggestion although there’s no way I’d do that as I know others are tight sods!

Spruce

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2020, 07:00:09 pm »
I'm halfway through increasing my prices, most of them are being increased by £1,   jobs of £16 above by £2

the other day I told a customer that it would be increased £1 …. small house of only £12

she replied "no problem but 13 is an unlucky number so we better make it £14" …. me "yes I think we can do that"

another customer was £16 so I told him it would be going up to £18 to which he replied "just make it £20 Jay it's a round figure"

I have a couple of houses that are £12 and in need of a small increase. I asked one of them if they would accept a price rise of a £1.

"Oh no," she said, "13 is an unlucky number.  I would be happy to pay £12.99."

"That means I would have to keep some pennies in my change float which I'm not prepared to do."

"Oh, I wouldn't accept a penny change;  I would tell you to keep the change."

;D
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2020, 07:13:23 pm »

I have a couple of houses that are £12 and in need of a small increase. I asked one of them if they would accept a price rise of a £1.

"That means I would have to keep some pennies in my change float which I'm not prepared to do."

;D

funnily enough i put a £12 job up to £13 today...no problems....i have noticed a lot of roads where i work DONT have a number 13 house!(they go from number 11 to 15).....personally i think unlucky numbers and suchlike is nonsense myself....

did you really ask a customer would they accept a price rise spruce?i just tell them the price will be going up from next clean...i never ask.....i suppose its because i already feel its fair.......
price higher/work harder!

davids3511

« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2020, 07:34:50 pm »

;D

funnily enough i put a £12 job up to £13 today...no problems....i have noticed a lot of roads where i work DONT have a number 13 house!(they go from number 11 to 15).....personally i think unlucky numbers and suchlike is nonsense myself....

did you really ask a customer would they accept a price rise spruce?i just tell them the price will be going up from next clean...i never ask.....i suppose its because i already feel its fair.......
From what I've heard, houses numbered 13 actually sell for a bit less/are harder to sell so many developers skip 13 .

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2020, 09:35:05 pm »

;D

I usually put the wording like that and never have had it challenged. It makes them feel better to think I'm grovelling/begging. "We have no choice but to adjust our prices and ask if you would accept an increase of a £1."

No matter how you word it, the customer is left to decide if they accept your price or don't accept it. I had one suggest we split the difference recently and I firmly said no. Its a £1 or you look for someone else.

Now I have no problem with the number 13 but I appreciate that some of my customers could well be. I also have experience with one who has always given me an extra pound tip on her £12 job.

A couple of months ago she asked me to clean her daughter's house and she would pay for it.  I quoted £12.00 for that and she again gave me £13 for hers.

The wife and I have been helping an old lady move from her rented house she has been in for 50 years into a council bungalow. The number of the bungalow is No13. I did wonder how many tenants would turn the offer on the bungalow down because of the number.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2020, 09:53:13 pm »

;D

I clean in a street that goes 11 to 15. I clean them both, I always wondered why there was no  number 13 and it didn't occur to me that was the reason, well that's that solved.

Johnny B

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2020, 12:24:13 pm »
They're a superstitious lot here in Ireland!

Talking of the number 13, vehicle registration numbers here start with the year. My van was registered in 2006, so it starts with 06. When the year 2013 loomed, the powers that be thought 'we can't  use 13, it's unlucky'. So to spare everyone's fears, they decided to use prefix 131 (for January to June registrations) and 132 (July-December).

Almost no-one walks under ladders (they would rather take their chances with the traffic) so it's perhaps a real surprise that the number 13 is common on housing estates here.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.