Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

RPCCS

Advice on getting work
« on: January 23, 2020, 04:40:52 pm »
Looking for advice on getting work, I have a Facebook page and 2000 flyers to drop through doors. Is it worth  putting an ad in the local paper ? We have a weekly paper round these parts, I advertised in there late 2018 November time, cost me £140 for a month, got one job from it at £100 ,is it worth another try!? I want to build my carpet cleaning up this year so I can reduce my window cleaning time.
Cheers Rich

Raymondo

Re: Advice on getting work
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2020, 07:12:53 pm »
We have been cleaning carpets for 22 years used to clean windows but in the end the carpet side took over. Now much easier to clean windows now with the pole system fell off the ladder 3 times doing traditional.  It takes time to build up a carpets cleaning business, have you got a website is your van sign-written.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2020, 08:06:24 pm »
You’ve got 2000 leaflets. To quality homes that would take 16 man hours to deliver, have got access to persons  who can help you deliver  them?

A 4 man team can deliver them in a weekend doing 2hrs on Saturday morning & 2hrs on  Sunday morning (or a 3 man team working 2.5hrs each day)

This is how to leaflet, don’t think you alone can effectively deliver 2000 leaflets  quick enough to see an immediate result, get all 2000 out in a weekend and you will start getting call the following week.

then order 10,000 leaflets an d repeat the process for the next 3months
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Ned Kelly

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2020, 09:11:48 pm »
Do you have a website Rich?

RPCCS

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2020, 09:33:13 pm »
In response to. Raymondo and Ned, no website, no signwriting but hoping to get a new van this year and going to get vinyl signs for it.
Mike, my son will help me deliver.
Cheers Rich

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2020, 10:12:54 pm »
Get your son to ask his mates, give then £5-7 an hour, you need a big team to  give them all out
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 04:47:52 am »
RPCCS

you are focused to much on new clients.  your business should sell more services more often to your database. upload your database to facebook make sure you have the mobile numbers setup so you have UK code 44 and not 0 as this helps facebook populate all the data they have on your customers.

and dont forget have recommendation marketing in the mix. paying your customers for referrals is cheap and easy way to get work.

Good luck

Ian Harper

RPCCS

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 07:56:31 am »
Ian, all my customers have been given a flyer but I will be giving them another to remind them. I don’t have a database of customers, just a list , but don’t have everyone’s phone number. As far as rewarding customers for recommendations, I always give a new customer a handful of flyers and ask them to pass on to family and friends, with the offer that if they get me 3 jobs, I will send them a shopping voucher as a thank you. Several customers have left reviews on my Facebook page.
Cheers Rich

Ned Kelly

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2020, 02:30:25 pm »
I recall you asking a similar question last year Rich.  Last year, if my memory is correct, you were advertising in local mags and using some flyers. You were given some sound advice on what to do back then from experienced operators on here, and some not so experienced operators like myself. In fact, I vaguely remember you thanking me for my advice but dismissing it at the same time telling me (and I'm paraphrasing) "that after years of owning my own business I do know a bit about advertising" lol.  I don't want to offend you Rich because you seem like a nice guy, but if you think for a minute that advertising in a paper or delivering a few flyers here and there is in anyway going to make you successful then you should just sell or your gear and stick to window cleaning mate.
We both started our business's at nearly exactly the same time two years ago Rich, we  both attended Derek Bolton's Cleansmart courses(maybe at the same time) and John Kelly's course (maybe at the same) and 18 months ago I was where you STILL are now, looking for work, looking for help and when I do get it choose to ignore it, blaming everyone but myself.  Eighteen months later and my business is growing rapidly. I have just bought the new top of the range Miniflex in cash. I enjoyed three lovely holidays last year and I'm sitting typing this after taking a half day while doing two small jobs in the morning with a £160 in my pocket. If you want to know how to get there Rich then I'd be happy to tell you because you seem like a good guy and I want you to succeed. But if your just going to ignore all the advice like you did last year then what's the point mate?

RPCCS

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2020, 07:10:02 pm »
I hear what you're saying Ned, but last year all thoughts on promting the new venture went out of the window. My mother became ill early summer so I was looking after her. Following my mother's slow recovery my aunt became ill, then was hospitalized, got worse and passed away. It fell on my shoulders to organise her funeral and as executor of her will, I had to see to the house clearance, so I had forgotten about the advice I was given last year.
Cheers Rich

Ned Kelly

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2020, 07:54:55 pm »
Sorry to hear about your loss mate. Life can be difficult at times as well as trying to run a business. Well done for getting through it all. 👍

RPCCS

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2020, 11:09:14 pm »
Thanks, I had a meeting with the solicitor tonight and hatched a plan to go forward from here to get her estate settled. So from the end of this month seeing as I have no other things to take priority, I  am having a blitz with the flyers.I have some estates locally to target.Can you tell me again what you suggested last year please as I can't find it.
Cheers Rich

Ned Kelly

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 03:23:01 pm »
No bother at all Rich and I'm glad you're getting everything sorted.
There's to much info for one post so I'll give you a couple of bits of advice just now. Those flyers you have..... keep them under wraps until you get a website sorted. Think about it? You get a leaflet through the door offering any kind of service which at that time you may need. Before you phone the number most people would google the companies name and look for reviews, accreditations etc. When a customer does this when they receive your flyer, they get zilch, na na ,zero and they will throw your flyer in the bin and call one of your competitors listed on google!!! Okay you may have Facebook but a lot of people can't be bothered with it especially the high end customers who tend to be professionals like doctors, solicitors,teachers etc and their the customers you want. You can set up your first website yourself (https://www.wix.com/business/website). Okay this bit is a bit daunting at first and I did have help but after a couple of days myself and my helper had built a pretty professional looking website from scratch which included the Facebook reviews I had received, plus info on TACCA and my helper gave me some basic tips on key words etc and how to add stuff. This will do until you can afford a professional website (which I got for free and Ill tell you how you may get that in another post if your interested) who'll look after your SEO etc. But the homemade one(which will probably list on about page 5 of google to start with lol) will at least  give prospective customers a chance to see you have received professional training etc, which will give your fledgling business the one thing you need fast as a newbie to compete with the bigboys....CREDIBILITY!!  All this will seem simple stuff to the experienced guys on here but getting a professional looking website is a fundamental building block for a new business no matter what services you sell and it's not that hard. Just to let you know Rich, this basic advice  was given to me by my "helper" who just happens to be a guy like you and me who has started two companies from scratch (in the process of starting up another which he does in his spare time) built them up and sold them on for a small fortune. Before that John Kelly was a great font of info on business building on his training course(as well as carpet cleaning) and I can still see myself laughing when he said that you might be able to charge up to £80 for a lounge clean "aye right" I said to myself who's going to pay that lol. Now I don't leave the house for any less than £80. If you want Rich I can give you more advice on how your going to compete and WIN against the big boys in your area in a years time. It can be done mate

RPCCS

« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 04:03:57 pm »
Much appreciated Ned, I have flyers listing the names of the companies I trained under, I would photo and send you it but I don’t think there is a pm facility on this forum? Are you north east based yourself, if so where? I don’t want to tread on your toes lol. As  for a website, I can ask my daughter to design one for me,she is not actually a web designer, but a graphic designer and has recently done one for herself..

PS if you want to contact me so you can offer further advice or I can contact you, search for R.peters carpet cleaning services on fb; send me a message with  email or mobile number, if you want to that is. That way it’s not public.
Cheers Rich

Ned Kelly

« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 04:26:26 pm »
😂 Don't worry  about stepping on my toes Rich I'm up in God's Country. Even so mate if there was a guy starting across the road from me cleaning carpets I would still give the same advice. Just make sure you use a few  key words and phrases in your website like "carpet cleaning/cleaner in (your area).  Don't be afraid to look at other carpet cleaners websites in your area or beyond and get some ideas but what ever you do DO NOT CUT AND PASTE and put it on your own website as believe it or not Google can recognise you have done this and put your website further down the pile.

Ned Kelly

« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 04:29:58 pm »
No bother at all mate. I'll get your number and give you a wee call on Monday if I get a chance 👍

RPCCS

« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 04:34:20 pm »
Ok, leave it til after 4 though as I will be free to chat then.   Lovely part of the world you live in, one very close to my heart, many happy memories of childhood holidays in the dales , Carlton in Coverdale  is my happy place.
Cheers Rich

Ned Kelly

« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2020, 05:23:54 pm »
😂 I'm up in Scotland Rich. It shares it's title of " God's Country" with County Donegal in Ireland.

Robin Ray

« Reply #18 on: January 25, 2020, 08:22:56 pm »
😂 I'm up in Scotland Rich. It shares it's title of " God's Country" with County Donegal in Ireland.

I noticed that according to the oracle which is Wikipedia "Gods own country" has also been used to describe not only the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland in County Wicklow, a place in India called Kerala and also Yorkshire. The term being interchangeably used with the title "Gods own County" when describing Yorkshire.

No bias as I'm down in Devon just thought Id look it up.

RPCCS

« Reply #19 on: January 25, 2020, 09:25:14 pm »

I noticed that according to the oracle which is Wikipedia "Gods own country" has also been used to describe not only the Wicklow Mountains in Ireland in County Wicklow, a place in India called Kerala and also Yorkshire. The term being interchangeably used with the title "Gods own County" when describing Yorkshire.

No bias as I'm down in Devon just thought Id look it up.
Yeah I  googled God’s country and it came up with Yorkshire
Cheers Rich