Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

olanorman

Like subject says, is there any difference in the quality of the water to losen dirt and make the result better with DI vs RO?

Slacky

No. 0 PPM is 0 PPM, however you achieve it.

dazmond

its a stupid question so your gonna get a stupid answer..... ;D

DI purified water is far superior for cleaning windows than RO purified water.....
price higher/work harder!

Don Kee

Plus it’s doubtful you’ll get 0ppm from your RO, I’d check your TDS meter if you are.

I'm not sure purified water even loosens dirt any better than from the tap. Its sole reason is to leave glass without hard water staining or any dissolvable solids once the dirt is rinsed off. It was a sales myth .

olanorman

DI purified water is far superior for cleaning windows than RO purified water.....

Yes, after more reading from studies and explanations - I found DI water with 0 ppm if far superior for cleaning glass the RO water with 0 ppm.

All qualities of water is not measured with a small TDS meter device for £1.5

harleyman

HO  NO IT ISNT.

Dry Clean

Yes, after more reading from studies and explanations - I found DI water with 0 ppm if far superior for cleaning glass the RO water with 0 ppm.

All qualities of water is not measured with a small TDS meter device for £1.5

Stoots

Well if it were true zero tds then there wouldn't be any difference.

Think about no dissolved solids is no dissolved solids however its achieved.

However we are only measuring parts per million. So the water still has dissolved solids.

So in theory I guess there is probably a difference in composition between the two. How that affects window cleaning I have no idea.

But if you can get zero ppm from an R O you are doing very well I've never heard of that before.

I would d. I it regardless to be on the safe side

I know some (idiots?) use straight R. O water at like 6ppm but for me I only belive in using as pure as we can so 0 ppm.

dd

However we are only measuring parts per million. So the water still has dissolved solids.

So in theory I guess there is probably a difference in composition between the two. How that affects window cleaning I have no idea.

But if you can get zero ppm from an R O you are doing very well I've never heard of that before.

I know some (idiots?) use straight R. O water at like 6ppm but for me I only belive in using as pure as we can so 0 ppm.
You define idiot as someone who does not want to pay £80 for a bag of resin.

My RO water is usually 003-004 so I see no point in using resin. I think the highest it has gone to is 007 before I changed the pre-filter.

It is quite possible purifying water further through resin improves its cleaning ability, otherwise why would Ionics market their parts per billion system.

Personally for me I find RO water works well enough.

Dry Clean

My RO water is usually 003-004 so I see no point in using resin. I think the highest it has gone to is 007 before I changed the pre-filter.

It is quite possible purifying water further through resin improves its cleaning ability, otherwise why would Ionics market their parts per billion system.

When WFO first came onto the market sellers used purified water cleans better as a selling point which was basically nonsense, Ionics just took this one step further, fact is the majority of the crud we remove from the glass will be suspended solids so the purity of the water wont make a difference.

Splash & dash

When WFO first came onto the market sellers used purified water cleans better as a selling point which was basically nonsense, Ionics just took this one step further, fact is the majority of the crud we remove from the glass will be suspended solids so the purity of the water wont make a difference.

If you believe that then just use tap water no di or ro is needed

Dry Clean

If you believe that then just use tap water no di or ro is needed
My tap TDS is around 250ppm so will leave spots on the glass after drying but the dirt that was on the glass will be well removed filtered water or not, why do some people find this so confusing.

olanorman

Brilliant, why not - if it works for customer and you, why not? Sometimes you got the OCD person that will complain at all things. So I just want to use as good as possible..

But for cleaning windows with a pressure washer -> I will most likely later just use RO water ;)

Its nice to be able to discuss things and learn from each other, thats why we go to this forum  ;D

dd

Brilliant, why not - if it works for customer and you, why not? Sometimes you got the OCD person that will complain at all things. So I just want to use as good as possible..

But for cleaning windows with a pressure washer -> I will most likely later just use RO water ;)

Its nice to be able to discuss things and learn from each other, thats why we go to this forum  ;D
Cleaning windows with a pressure washer is probably not a good idea.

Stoots

That sack of resin will last you a year at 4 tds you tight git  :D

Just use 0 ppm water then you can work fast with confidence.

Why scrimp on the most essential part of the job.

You can get away with a higher tds but some days on some windows you won't. Low sunlight in particular. I've seen spotting as low as 2/3ppm.

dd

Only time I find spotting an issue is from things like oxidized frames, or runs from seals, not from the RO water itself.

P @ F

My RO kicks out 002 but I still use resin , before RO I was using a bag a month most of the time , now I get about 5 L a year  ;D
For the cost it’s not worth cutting corners !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Slacky

Have you got some pics or even better a video of that please? I think we could all learn something feom this method of cleaning.

Thanks.

dd

My RO kicks out 002 but I still use resin , before RO I was using a bag a month most of the time , now I get about 5 L a year  ;D
For the cost it’s not worth cutting corners !
Thing is you need to keep the other 20l of resin protected from air and moisture during the several years you keep it. For me resin is just an unnecessary faff.