Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Mike Halliday

Yell.com
« on: January 13, 2020, 07:15:39 am »
These people see to have really upped their game, they now list on the first page of google for most of our search terms.

It’s seems to have happened almost overnight, they never listed unless it was a really uncompetitive area now they have 1 or 2 listing on the first page, they can’t have done this with just good seo I bet they have done a deal with Google.

Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Mike Halliday

Re: Yell.com
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2020, 03:54:32 pm »
And another thing ;D ;D....

When they get on page 1 it knocks someone else onto page 2 which could be some hard working carpet cleaner who does his own SEO who now suffers because of the big players :'( :'(
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

neil 47

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 08:56:39 am »
I think you will find it’s mainly in low traffic areas where a well built and optimised website will rise .

As opposed to template made websites that are rarely updated this allows Yell to grab places .

Check cities and they are no where to be seen .

I don’t think seo is that difficult it’s the time or cost that puts carpet cleaners off investing in their websites the few that do rise to the top .
IICRC

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2020, 09:12:20 pm »
No1 cleaners seem to rank the best

Ned Kelly

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2020, 10:22:36 pm »
Can I advise anyone reading this to not touch Yell with a bargepole.  I really do have a horror story to tell regarding this organisation!! It's a bit late now to really go into depth about what happened to me but can I please urge anyone who gets a phone call from a guy called Connor from their Belfast Call-Centre promising you 10 enquiries a week to tell them to GTF you parasite. 

TonyBrowning

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 08:58:26 am »
Big coincidence, but yesterday I received a call from Yell in Belfast, very professional sounding lady who took me through a system called "cogwheels" so that I could see her screen as she took me through how I was currently ranking etc.
My first thought sadly was this is a scam, so delayed  her initially while I carried out a quick check, but all was above board.

I agreed to one of their sales agents coming around to see me next Wednesday, however, after since reading many of the negative reviews online  which point to many deceptive business practices, I do not think she will get very far!!
I, however have time to entertain, and will post my observations next week.  :)

John Kelly

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 09:00:30 am »
Likewise. One of our customers was conned into saying he had entered into a verbal contract after talking to them on the phone.

John Kelly

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:01:38 am »
Be careful Tony. And make sure she isn't recording.

Glynn

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 01:29:10 pm »
If I were you I would cancel the appointment. In my opinion they are best at convincing you to spend with them only.
Regards
Glynn

Ned Kelly

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2020, 04:43:02 pm »
This is a long read guys/girls I know but please read if you're  thinking about Yell.
A couple of years ago not long after I started up, my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer ( she's totally fine now thank God). As with every new business, work was a bit slow and with my wife's treatment (chemo etc) meant she couldn't  work the hours she previously worked before her illness. Although we were getting by I started worrying a bit about the bills as my redundancy money wasn't going to last for ever. Then out of the blue I get a phone call from Yell. A guy called Connor from their Belfast call centre. I'll be honest and say he sounded like a great guy and engaged me in conversation (he definitely had kissed the Blarney Stone). I even told him about my wife's cancer and my concerns about paying the bills.  As Tony said, he went through all the "cogwheels" stuff and it all sounded to good to be true about the amount of enquires I was going to receive. Somehow we got all the way to him wanting my bank details to sign me up for £90 a month for 12 months. That's when I put the breaks on. I told him I'd have to speak to my wife as £90 a month was a lot of money. That's when this " great guy" Connor showed his true colours. His tone of voice totally changed and started sounding annoyed.  He told  me I was being mad and he didn't offer this deal to everyone and that it was a no brainer if I wanted enquires. He told me that this would be one less thing to worry about and that I could focus all my effort on my wife and her cancer without having to worry about the work coming in. A combination of his now bullying style and his insistence that I would get enquires led me their and then to sign up for the year(I know I know but I was fragile at the time). Well, two months later I had only two enquires through Yell none of which turned into a job. I realised I'd been bullied and lied too by this guy and cancelled the direct debit. That's when the real fun started!!!
 What followed was about two months of relentless phone calls ( 3-4 a day sometimes from private mobile numbers) and emails from Connor and his pals at Yell threatening me from everything to me losing my credit rating to the bailiffs at the door. I acquired the help from my local MP who wrote letters to Yell telling them their behaviour was terrible but nothing bothered them and the daily phone calls and threats continued. It wasn't until I met my brother in law who is a senior manager with one of the biggest companies in the UK and he gave me some advice. He told me to tell them I am going to make a complaint to the regulator and demand that Yell send me all the personal data they have of me including all emails where I have been discussed PLUS the original recorded phone call between myself and Connor. You see folks by law we have a right of access to see all the personal info which companies have on us including emails and recorded phone conversations and companies have one full calendar month to produce it from the day of request. Well then my fun started!!!  Within hours of making the request I had the Yell boss man on asking me if I could kindly  postpone my request as we should be able to get something sorted out. Haw haw aye very good!!  I told them after months of harassment and threats the only thing that will stop my request will be:
1, A full apology for the months of harassment and bullying
2, A full refund for the two months I paid
3, If I do not receive the above within 24 hours of this email being sent then my demand for my personal data will continue as will my complaint to the regulator.
Well folks, the very next morning I had a full apology from one their senior directors plus £180 reimbursed in the bank plus a hamper full of goodies as a goodwill gesture.
Sorry about the long story guys but say well away from this mob.

Jonathan Evans

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 07:32:02 am »
Ned good for you and even better that your wife is doing well. At some point expecially when we start out we all get caught by someone. Thanks for sharing this post it is very useful.

Steve_Knight

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 07:43:49 am »
Firstly Well Done Ned.

I was also caught out a couple of years ago with a Google Ads campaign through Yell.
Ran it for 6 months and got hardly any enquiries and demanded to see the rep who sold me this!!

We met and had a big falling out and I asked him how much they were having per month out of my spend?

I was told 40%!!!

Threw him out ,got onto his manager, got funds back and cancelled agreement!!

Never again!!

TonyBrowning

« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 11:43:06 am »

Denise l

« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 06:52:01 pm »
Not sure but think you can get one free listing on Yell. They ring afterwards trying to get you to advertise more but stick to your free one.

TonyBrowning

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2020, 08:51:14 am »
I have cancelled Wednesdays appointment.

John Higgins

Re: Yell.com New
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2020, 05:34:56 pm »
And another thing ;D ;D....

When they get on page 1 it knocks someone else onto page 2 which could be some hard working carpet cleaner who does his own SEO who now suffers because of the big players :'( :'(

Hi Mike  you rank for most of tour search terms
Patio Cleaners Beverley
Patio Cleaners Driffield
Patio Cleaners Goole
Patio Cleaners Hull
Patio Cleaners Holderness
Patio Cleaners Yorkshire Wolds
Patio Cleaners East Yorkshire

There is only Goole where yell are above you, this is more due to your location than yell been any better coded than your site. Geo Structured data is a major part of ranking as the businesses on yell are local this will give yell an advantage that said a site build is still only 40% of the ranking and quality in context backlinking still remains the other major part of a site ranking.

Ranking websites is like a horse race You need a good website ie the Horse and a good Jokey ie SEO.  That been said it ultimately comes down to the competition if you are going for a keyword phrase where the competition is low or the competition as a poorly built website and a mediocre backlink profile than a well-built website in time will outrank them.