This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

dazmond

Softwashing help......
« on: January 02, 2020, 06:16:53 pm »

How would you go about cleaning the algae off these painted walls and concrete fence posts?wfp wont shift it...

Thanks in advance guys.....
price higher/work harder!

Splash & dash

Re: Softwashing help......
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 06:25:27 pm »
Didn’t think you did add on jobs 😂😂😂.
Wet it down with garden hose apply hypo mix 4-1 leave for up to 20-30 muinits re apply if needed light rub with wfp rinse job done

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 06:26:55 pm »
If its just algae and your doing it relatively soon (as in cant order any hypo in) and want it done cheap as chips. 
Have u a trolley?   Buy some thick bleach from the shop and empty into your tank trolley.  Fill trolley tank with water and apply. Leave for 20 mins and reapply if need to.   Rinse with water. Job done.
(Shop bought bleach has surfactant in it and is around 2.5 strength which is adequate for that level of algea shown)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2020, 07:01:43 pm »
its my girlfriends house.......im gonna clean it in the spring time......so will a bottle of bleach and water in a bucket do it?apply with a brush and leave for 20 mins then hot wfp it off?

nathankaye

« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2020, 07:09:02 pm »
its my girlfriends house.......im gonna clean it in the spring time......so will a bottle of bleach and water in a bucket do it?apply with a brush and leave for 20 mins then hot wfp it off?

Why waste hot water to rinse it off? Just use the outside tap n hose to rinse down afterwards, but yes, thats all that is needed.   
I have a patch down the side of my house which doesnt get much sun and I have to clean it down. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2020, 07:18:46 pm »

Why waste hot water to rinse it off? Just use the outside tap n hose to rinse down afterwards, but yes, thats all that is needed.   
I have a patch down the side of my house which doesnt get much sun and I have to clean it down.

thanks nathan......👍

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2020, 07:28:52 pm »
Where do you purchase this "hypo" from? Any links? Also, do you mix it 4 parts hypo or 4 parts water?😬
Comfortably Numb!

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2020, 07:42:28 pm »
Where do you purchase this "hypo" from? Any links? Also, do you mix it 4 parts hypo or 4 parts water?😬
I use a Scottish company called bonnymans.co.uk and its Sodium Hypochlorite.   You can either buy it at 10 or 15 percent strength and it needs diluting for various jobs which you tackle.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2020, 07:54:15 pm »
is it ok to use household bleach in my gardiners backpack?i only ever use it for chemical application these days(virosol).....this might be a better way of applying it......

nathankaye

« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2020, 08:01:42 pm »
is it ok to use household bleach in my gardiners backpack?i only ever use it for chemical application these days(virosol).....this might be a better way of applying it......

Yep, just rinse well after use
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Mike Halliday

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 08:23:21 pm »
The wall and the fence need treating with a quat ammonia  based chemical,  hypo  on the wall will spill all over the decking so you need to do that as well same goes for the fence,  hypo will mark the fence and the pathway.

It’s not a customer who wants to see instant result before they hand over the money it’s for your girlfriend. The best (but not quickest) solution  is quats, it will also have a residual effect it will stay clean for longer....  with hypo they moment your rinse if off it stops working.
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 08:26:02 pm »

Who said 4 parts water 4 parts hypo ??? Think you have miss read the post , you can buy sodium hypochlorite from any farm shop or swimming pools supplier usually 10-15% strength just dilute it for the job you are doing .
A 4-1 mix would be 4 parts water to 1 part hypo

Mike Halliday

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 08:27:33 pm »
As an example this is what quats do, this is my gate  that I sprayed one side with some spare quat I had in a spray bottle , this is a year later..... see how quats keep surfaces clean. If you want to do the best job possible for your girlfriend use a quat based cleaner

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 08:33:57 pm »
The wall and the fence need treating with a quat ammonia  based chemical,  hypo  on the wall will spill all over the decking so you need to do that as well same goes for the fence,  hypo will mark the fence and the pathway.

It’s not a customer who wants to see instant result before they hand over the money it’s for your girlfriend. The best (but not quickest) solution  is quats, it will also have a residual effect it will stay clean for longer....  with hypo they moment your rinse if off it stops working.

Sorry to disagree with you mike but I have done extensive testing of of biocides and hypo results in my own properties, the results of biocides gave no residual preventative re growth at all within 3 months the path was as green as ever from algi , the hypo area stays clean for around 8-10 months , I have conducted theses tests over a number of years using different brands and different strength mixes of bio and all the results have turned out the same . A weak hypo mix on the pictures provided will give instant clean and take about an hour to do if you dint want the fence or decking affected just spray with water whilst applying the hypo mix and there will be no problem at all , we have been doing cleaning this way for over 15 years with great success, but I would clean the fence and decking at the same time as it will clean the whole area up nice for the spring rather than having  some bits clean and others dirty

Mike Halliday

« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2020, 08:39:12 pm »
We’ll have to agree to disagree on this ;) ;)

I also test everything I use, when ever I do a job if I have any left I alway use it up on something at my home (hence my gate photo)

dazmond

« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2020, 09:42:39 pm »

Sorry to disagree with you mike but I have done extensive testing of of biocides and hypo results in my own properties, the results of biocides gave no residual preventative re growth at all within 3 months the path was as green as ever from algi , the hypo area stays clean for around 8-10 months , I have conducted theses tests over a number of years using different brands and different strength mixes of bio and all the results have turned out the same . A weak hypo mix on the pictures provided will give instant clean and take about an hour to do if you dint want the fence or decking affected just spray with water whilst applying the hypo mix and there will be no problem at all , we have been doing cleaning this way for over 15 years with great success, but I would clean the fence and decking at the same time as it will clean the whole area up nice for the spring rather than having  some bits clean and others dirty

Yeah this is what I'll do mate.....I'll clean the whole area over a long weekend in spring,decking/fences/concrete posts and brick walls.....👍.......I've got a jet wash for the decking.......

֍Winp®oClean֍

« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2020, 10:41:34 pm »

Who said 4 parts water 4 parts hypo ??? Think you have miss read the post , you can buy sodium hypochlorite from any farm shop or swimming pools supplier usually 10-15% strength just dilute it for the job you are doing .

Me, I asked which was the 4 part- the hypo or the water. You stated a 4 to 1 mix but not which was which. Having never used this stuff before, I thought it reasonable, maybe even as far as sensible to confirm which part was which by the experienced user. It wasn't misread.
Comfortably Numb!

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2020, 10:59:53 pm »

Ok sorry for the confusion but generally with any dilution rates the lower number will be the
Product and the higher number will be the diluent

Me, I asked which was the 4 part- the hypo or the water. You stated a 4 to 1 mix but not which was which. Having never used this stuff before, I thought it reasonable, maybe even as far as sensible to confirm which part was which by the experienced user. It wasn't misread.

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2020, 08:10:28 am »
why don't you do a test patch ?.... It won't take you much longer than taking a photo and posting it on here. You could just try a small area with household bleach as Nathan suggests or anything you have to hand. I think it was Chris Turner who's posted in past about getting good results from nothing more than bio washing powder.

Granny

« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2020, 12:07:29 pm »
As an example this is what quats do, this is my gate  that I sprayed one side with some spare quat I had in a spray bottle , this is a year later..... see how quats keep surfaces clean. If you want to do the best job possible for your girlfriend use a quat based cleaner

Why did you fix your gate on upside down? ;D