This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

gaza

lime burn or what?
« on: July 05, 2006, 12:47:58 am »
a customer said that I hadent cleaned the other half of her french doors,Iwas gobbed smacked to say the least.so Iofferred to do them there and then even though Iwas collecting.when i went arround the back my memory was jogged,yes you have lime burn my dear.
After explaining how lime burn appears  I looked up to see they  had had new guttering quite a few months ago [so Iwas informed] but on my last visit no marks were there. it looked like someone had been watering the plants with a hose but aeter 3 scrubs only a little was removed but its stained the glass like lime burn.
any ideas lads and lassess what it could be.told them to get some lime scale remover and rubber gloves and give it a wipe,while Igo and ask the pros

really miffed on this one ???

gaza
IM AT THAT AGE MY BACK GOES OUT MORE THAN I DO

rosskesava

Re: lime burn or what?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2006, 12:53:41 am »
Hi Gaza

It maybe a little old fashioned and pre wfp but have you tried going over the glass, when wet, with wire wool?

Cheers

gaza

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2006, 01:19:48 am »
no , but I will suggest it its not my problem,but customer relationship is my main concern, till they say Ive got no money this week or can you come back weds/thurs
NEVER USED STEELWOOL ON WINDOWS do u use it with some fairy or brillo pad though that would be a little course.

gaza

Spursboy1972

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2006, 07:31:06 am »
Try using a product called MDR. You can get it from window clean centre. You can use it. Non abrasive and just rinse with applicator after.
Clear Vision~"The Difference is Clear"

Southampton- Hampshire

gaza

« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2006, 08:05:09 am »
mdr had some of that stuff is it in a white bottle,hang on Ill have a look under the sink,mrs had knabbed it last time Isaw it,guess what its no longer there

thannks for the advice

gaza

Ian_Giles

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 09:30:44 am »
The trouble with limescale is that although you can get a lot of it off (if its on there thick enough) you will not get it all off.

It can be caused from the lime in the cement in the mortar leeching out from either the rendering or brickwork.
MDR or some other acid based product that will disolve limestone will help, but the stuff does etch itself into the glass though, and it won't all come off.

Ian
Ian. ISM CLEANING SERVICES

Trevor Knight

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 10:03:12 am »
WIRE WOOL, OMG how does that not damage the glass??

When we get limescale we use a standard unger scraper blade and just take it off, never had any problems and the customers are delighted. Only takes a few minutes as well.

Best of luck,

Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

jeff1

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 11:55:42 am »
WIRE WOOL, OMG how does that not damage the glass??

When we get limescale we use a standard unger scraper blade and just take it off, never had any problems and the customers are delighted. Only takes a few minutes as well.

Best of luck,

Trev
Hi Trev
I use the same method as you, my trusty unger scraper, But I have heared of the method that ross uses, and if you use 000 guage wire wool it is so fine, it won't damage the glass.

Don't forget they use fine grade wet and dry sand paper to polish scatches out of glass, and just to prove it, if anyone has used a CD repair kit to repair there CD's this also contain's a strip of wet and dry sand paper, and this repairs your CD,s

as ross said use it wet, and make sure its fine grade (000)

Clear Vision

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 11:59:02 am »
Trevor, I'm shocked :o

You don't use wire wool ???

Yes you are right in saying that a scraper blade will take it off but thats only if you catch it at the early stages.

If not you can use MDR along with 000 grade steel wool. Trust me it WILL NOT scratch the glass as its very fine.

I use ooo grade on new windiows to remove sticker marks that the scraper will sometimes not remove.

Clear Vision

Clear Vision

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 12:00:35 pm »
jeff1, you beat me too it. went to post my reply and noticed someone got there before me ;D

carl stanton

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 12:01:36 pm »
i have this proplem often as in hard water area, and some numpties water there windows when doing their plants, so i slapp them and tell them dont do it again!!   ::) as if,
it does not always scrape off easy after sun baked particually on older glass!
so would you charge extra? how do you tell the customer?

jeff1

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 12:09:03 pm »
jeff1, you beat me too it. went to post my reply and noticed someone got there before me ;D

;D ;D ;D
Clear just ignore it when it tells you some one else has posted or scroll down to see what the new post says, if you still want to post then just click post. hope this helps but get in faster next time. ;D ;D ;D ;D

dai

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 12:31:36 pm »
The main culprits for causing this are lawn sprinklers and dripping overhead overflow pipes.Dai

Trevor Knight

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 09:22:29 am »
This just proves what I have always said.

It doesn't matter how long you have been in this industry, you can always learns something new!
Thanks for this guys, I never knew you could use wire wool, if my lads turned up with that at a job I would have sacked them for being so stupid.

Guess the egg is on my face now  ;D ;D

15 years and still learning, I love this industry.

Cheers,
Trev
Covering Hampshire, Dorset, Surrey, Berkshire

gaza

« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 12:41:24 pm »
My w/c has 26 years experience,and I show him things hes never heard off before,
at first he thought of me as a egotistical upstart beginner :( now he looks at me in a different light] even though Im still a beginner in his terms its nice to be infront of him in knowledge,power to the forum

gaza

« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2006, 04:25:31 pm »
DONT DO IT Wire wool that is .I have just cleaned 220 windows which have just had a builders clean done by a Tiler?????? he had three young men using wire wool to scrub cement etc off and 180 window now need replacing.

JohnL

« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2006, 05:49:14 pm »
mm -  wire wool on glass!

if the item which is 'stuck' to the window is hard and abrasive and attaches itself to the w-wool doesnt that cause a problem?

JohnL
West Somerset. On the edge of the Quantocks and looking at The Exmoor National Park.

jeff1

« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2006, 06:34:30 pm »
The Original post was for lime scale, now wire wool is fine for this so long as its kept wet.

Now if you are going to use wire wool as a scraper then you are asking for trouble.

If I was going to have three young lads working for me, to clean the deposits off the windows, then I think training come's to mind,
letting three young lads loose with wire wool on windows has ended with the results I would expect. 

If you use a scraper first to remove, cement, or any size deposit, once you have it flat, any stain can be removed with wet wire wool.

jeff evans

« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 02:34:55 pm »
To remove limescale just use pure vinager, try it you will be amazed how easly it removes it, and it,s cheep. ;) ;)

Cheers jeff.

abacus

« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 06:26:01 pm »
Hi
 cement deposit can  always scratch glass as it contains sand especially sharp sand it is as hard as glass or slighly harder after all its what glass is made of you should never take the liability  builders know this you may of been had! but if you have to removeit use unger knife under running water and change the blade often

regards grant
A service you can count on
SAFEcontractor approved