This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stuartb

Heated system vs snail trails?
« on: October 23, 2019, 03:31:34 pm »
If you fit an emersion heater to your system does the heated water help remove snail trails?

I hate snail trails 🤨

Smudger

Re: Heated system vs snail trails?
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 03:56:32 pm »
No, only the specially heated water through a professionally designed and fitted system has any chance of removing snail trails   ;D

NK - has a super special home made concrete dissolving system - I'm sure he will be along to advise you ....

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 04:02:27 pm »
Get a proper glass cracker not an emersion setup,donyou want to clean windows or take a Luke warm bath during the day lol,doesn’t matter what’s on the glass with mine m8 unless it’s paint it’s going.

zesty

« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 04:13:32 pm »
You know what, I actually find a lot of snail trails only show once you’ve wet the window up.

Sometimes I find not bothering to scrub them off makes no difference as they don’t seem to show when the window dries.

How’s that for an answer 😂

Disclaimer - I’m not advocating the above point. (Although in my experience, it’s true.  Point isn’t valid when snail trails are visible on dry glass. Terms and conditions apply)

stuartb

« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2019, 06:56:51 pm »
Mmm...ok. So what systems do the job? And will it cost a million pounds? Also. How much do they cost to run per day?

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2019, 07:15:47 pm »
No, only the specially heated water through a professionally designed and fitted system has any chance of removing snail trails   ;D

NK - has a super special home made concrete dissolving system - I'm sure he will be along to advise you ....

Darran

Hot water is hot water, regardless of how you get it.  If you are able to heat water to a satisfactory heat for your working needs, then start with the cheapest option and go from there.

I use an immersion heater, 2kw 27inch long at the very bottom of a 500ltr upright tank and the tank is also insulated and the volume, along with the starting temp can vary. Therefore this method suits my needs, though Im hoping Rich gets his project completed as Im keen to use his project.

However, to pip sean to it!  ;D lol,   a good brush and technique also removes snail trails with ease as well.  Granted, heated water does however make light work of it!
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

stuartb

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2019, 07:35:55 pm »
Hi Nathan,
So are you saying your immersion  heated system gets rid of the snail trails and there’s nothing else making making the water even hotter like a gas jeered water heater or something?
I just want to be sure it’s gonna work before I install it.
Stu

P @ F

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 07:46:47 pm »
Any water will remove it , but the hotter the water the faster it should come off  !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 08:01:11 pm »
Don’t worry Nath we are very close now matey !
Had to re jig the latest model a bit , it now has a tube and shell exchanger the same size as the original burn tube , this is the pre heater , it gets water from 15 to 35 , then it goes back into the centre of the burn tube  through a copper coil like the original design , so 35 will be the start temp , with any luck it will jump up a fair bit by the time it gets through the 4 or so metres of coil  !

Plankton

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2019, 08:22:25 pm »
P@F can this be used with the van doors open for ventilation and when's the two man system coming.

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2019, 09:02:15 pm »
Hi Nathan,
So are you saying your immersion  heated system gets rid of the snail trails and there’s nothing else making making the water even hotter like a gas jeered water heater or something?
I just want to be sure it’s gonna work before I install it.
Stu

These are a couple of vids on my channel (very basic channel as well, done in spare time not like trad man or squeeky dave  ;D)

https://youtu.be/OezEoESVr74

https://youtu.be/v0CeiiO5qoM

Which kinda shows im using hot water which I use an immersion for.  For me and how i use it, it works great. 

Sure you can use the gas boiler set ups but that carries a huge risk element to it and then you have the expensive diesel set ups like daz. Which if you have a spare 5k then thats great and a strong healthy battery.  Then theres the knowledge needed to maintain it etc
So ermmmm yes, the immersion for me at the moment which works on the likes of snail trails, pollen marks, tree sap, spider poop, egg, concrete splatter and such nots 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

P @ F

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2019, 09:09:08 pm »
P@F can this be used with the van doors open for ventilation and when's the two man system coming.
Are you meant to be asking if it can be used with the van doors shut ?

stuartb

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2019, 09:45:32 pm »
Thanks for the help Nathan. I’ll prob install one on my 500ltr upright. Looking forward to easier snail trail removal. Do you know the temperature of the water when it’s been heated? I may do an experiment with some heated water in a trolley first and test it on some snail graffiti

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2019, 10:03:41 pm »
Thanks for the help Nathan. I’ll prob install one on my 500ltr upright. Looking forward to easier snail trail removal. Do you know the temperature of the water when it’s been heated? I may do an experiment with some heated water in a trolley first and test it on some snail graffiti

I use my tds stick which also reads the water temp.
If using a 2kw ellement you do not need to alter the home electrics. However you need an electrician to sort out the home wiring for a dedicated 3kw plug/power source.

Obviously take other things into account which im sure you have. Ie, running costs and length of time required to run the heater to get required temp.
Insulated tank to hold the heat / minimise heat transfer loss.

I dont always use a full 500 ltr tank of water.  I went with 500 when i first switched from trad to wfp, to ensure I wouldnt run out of water.
So with the heater, i changed a couple of things to see if it made a difference.  So for instance after a full tank of cold water, I would leave the immersion on for quite some hours. At the end of the day, I may be starting with x amount of water at 40 degrees before I turn the immersion on for another night.  This worked for me, however this may not be how everybody else works.

Provided electrics are good etc, its a very safe way of heating the water.  The gas option, will take your cold water and take it up to your desired temp straight away which is an advantage but then its gas......

I did a first clean the other day where the windows were minging but I forgot to turn the immersion on.  This is a big down side!  Though I simply filled a couple of 25ltr drums with Hot water straight from my house tap and used my trolley for the initial clean and went back over with my van mount with pure water
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2019, 10:06:57 pm »

The money is waiting to be paid into your account mate! Hurry up and get it produced! Winters coming!!!

;D

Plankton

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2019, 10:27:04 pm »
No I'll switch it on when I get to the area I work and from there I'm just round the corner etc. When I get another van next year I can get it vented through the floor.

Slacky

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2019, 08:35:51 am »
Regards snail trails. If I turn up and one of my customers has snail trails on a window I just call the local double glazing outfit. Get them to replace the affected pane. 

Jonny 87

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2019, 08:51:05 am »
If you fit an emersion heater to your system does the heated water help remove snail trails?

I hate snail trails 🤨

Immersions are ok, but my general experience was that immersions only give you warm water. Not hot.

Warm water helps, but a professional diesel system which can give piping hot water is even better.  ;D

This heat calculator gives an accurate representation of how hot you can expect your water to be.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

For example.......

500 litre tank,
Starting temp of water in winter of 7 degrees,
2kw heater,

Time to heat to 60 degrees.......15 hours.

That’s the standard in my findings. A 2kw heater will only give you warm water, unless you want to spend a small fortune in electric.

Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dry Clean

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2019, 09:55:39 am »

Stuart will forgive you just this once for getting NK to link his videos (lol) scrub snail trails in a circular motion and they come off easily .

Dry Clean

« Reply #19 on: October 24, 2019, 10:03:48 am »

I hate snail trails 🤨

Immersions are ok, but my general experience was that immersions only give you warm water. Not hot.

Warm water helps, but a professional diesel system which can give piping hot water is even better.  ;D

This heat calculator gives an accurate representation of how hot you can expect your water to be.

https://www.jimsbeerkit.co.uk/calc.html

For example.......

500 litre tank,
Starting temp of water in winter of 7 degrees,
2kw heater,

Time to heat to 60 degrees.......15 hours.

That’s the standard in my findings. A 2kw heater will only give you warm water, unless you want to spend a small fortune in electric.

Yes but the secrete is to only use a small fraction of your hot water, this way you're always starting at a base temp of around 40 degrees.