This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Granny

Re: One of my "rules" gets broken by a customer.
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2019, 12:53:09 pm »
My rule is to not have hard and fast rules. I have a variety of types of customers from weekly shop fronts, 6 weekly 'turn up and cleans', and others who ring me as and when they need me. I get a few 'not todays' from the regulars, and they tend to be the same ones who say it, but not all at the same time. I don't find that it restricts me as I have enough work to ride it. I could dump them, but I keep them on as long as they are making me money, and if they do it too often, I just put them into the 'ring me when needed' category.

In the winter I find it does me a favour for some to leave it for a couple of months. The days are shorter and I'm inundated with xmas cleans. In January the weather is poo and I'm wrecked after the xmas rush, so again, I am happy to take my foot off the gas and coast through, while still having enough to keep going through till March when things pick up in earnest again.

John

What's a Christmas clean ? You mean you take on a load of one offs at Christmas?

See that's another rule I have. No one offs. I want to be slowing down at Christmas not taking on a load of one off cleans.
I think John is in Ireland. Most on here don't know how lucky they are and just how easy and simple window cleaning in urban areas in the UK is.
Most wouldn't last a week in Ireland. Christmas cleans are an important part of your income just like Easter.
I left Ireland some years ago so I don't know exactly how it's going now but in the 1980's and 1990's the concept of a window cleaner on the west coast of Ireland was virtually unknown, and a window cleaner who kept coming back every month or so was unheard of except among the few Irish who had worked and lived in England.
You would pick up a clean at Christmas and if you were lucky they would say "Sure you'll be back at Easter", or "We have a confirmation or a wedding in June" You would note it down and return because that was the nearest you could get to a 'certain' job.
Every day was put the ladders on (no WFP) and go out knocking on doors hoping to pick up some jobs.
Driving up to 30 miles radius to find enough houses.
It took years to build up to a decent amount of work.
Cleaning windows in England is a piece of p**s.

Stoots

« Reply #21 on: October 14, 2019, 03:00:51 pm »
My rule is to not have hard and fast rules. I have a variety of types of customers from weekly shop fronts, 6 weekly 'turn up and cleans', and others who ring me as and when they need me. I get a few 'not todays' from the regulars, and they tend to be the same ones who say it, but not all at the same time. I don't find that it restricts me as I have enough work to ride it. I could dump them, but I keep them on as long as they are making me money, and if they do it too often, I just put them into the 'ring me when needed' category.

In the winter I find it does me a favour for some to leave it for a couple of months. The days are shorter and I'm inundated with xmas cleans. In January the weather is poo and I'm wrecked after the xmas rush, so again, I am happy to take my foot off the gas and coast through, while still having enough to keep going through till March when things pick up in earnest again.

John

What's a Christmas clean ? You mean you take on a load of one offs at Christmas?

See that's another rule I have. No one offs. I want to be slowing down at Christmas not taking on a load of one off cleans.
I think John is in Ireland. Most on here don't know how lucky they are and just how easy and simple window cleaning in urban areas in the UK is.
Most wouldn't last a week in Ireland. Christmas cleans are an important part of your income just like Easter.
I left Ireland some years ago so I don't know exactly how it's going now but in the 1980's and 1990's the concept of a window cleaner on the west coast of Ireland was virtually unknown, and a window cleaner who kept coming back every month or so was unheard of except among the few Irish who had worked and lived in England.
You would pick up a clean at Christmas and if you were lucky they would say "Sure you'll be back at Easter", or "We have a confirmation or a wedding in June" You would note it down and return because that was the nearest you could get to a 'certain' job.
Every day was put the ladders on (no WFP) and go out knocking on doors hoping to pick up some jobs.

Jesus.

That's sounds like a complete farce.

Johnny B

« Reply #22 on: October 14, 2019, 08:12:37 pm »

John

Some are regulars who may want an extra clean before xmas. Some are the 'ring me when needed' type and others may be new calls which may fall into one of the former categories or be one offs/once a year cleans. The weather can be poo in December but it doesn't deter many because they must have their windows clean for xmas! As long as I'm making money from them it doesn't worry me. I would rather be flexible and please myself than to have a regimented set of rules which stress me more than my preferred ethos of going with the flow.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

Stoots

« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2019, 10:44:22 pm »

John

Some are regulars who may want an extra clean before xmas. Some are the 'ring me when needed' type and others may be new calls which may fall into one of the former categories or be one offs/once a year cleans. The weather can be poo in December but it doesn't deter many because they must have their windows clean for xmas! As long as I'm making money from them it doesn't worry me. I would rather be flexible and please myself than to have a regimented set of rules which stress me more than my preferred ethos of going with the flow.

John

It would worry me if I could fit in extra cleans or or do a load of one offs etc as that would mean I don't have enough regular work the rest of the year....

AuRavelling79

« Reply #24 on: October 15, 2019, 11:31:07 am »
Update...

I forgot to mention the reason for the request which is the lucky pair are off to Oz for four months.

However I sent a text saying I normally require customers to be regular all year round but in the circumstances I will accommodate their request but that the clean in March will be 'appreciably more' as I will be removing six months dirt.

Reply: That's fine thank you for being understanding.

It's a game of three halves!

Smudger

« Reply #25 on: October 15, 2019, 01:28:26 pm »

There is a big difference between being FULL and having ENOUGH

if you need to fill every minute of every day then your outgoings are exceedingly high or your not earning enough

you can have enough work on a regular basis that allows you, as and when you choose to do extras

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #26 on: October 15, 2019, 03:27:29 pm »
Tbh I would say that if you are right up to date on a regular basis you don’t have enough work,if I ever look like I might catch up anywhere near to being on time something happens like weather or single jobs over the course of the week that may take a day or half a day to do.

Stoots

« Reply #27 on: October 15, 2019, 03:35:19 pm »

There is a big difference between being FULL and having ENOUGH

if you need to fill every minute of every day then your outgoings are exceedingly high or your not earning enough

you can have enough work on a regular basis that allows you, as and when you choose to do extras

Darran

Quite right.

You could be full at 4 days then choose to do extras when it suits

But sounds like these guys rely on this extra work which is different.

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: October 15, 2019, 06:18:39 pm »
Tbh I would say that if you are right up to date on a regular basis you don’t have enough work,if I ever look like I might catch up anywhere near to being on time something happens like weather or single jobs over the course of the week that may take a day or half a day to do.

rubbish!why would you not want to be on time?less dirt to clean off the windows then....also who wants to work more than 5 hours a day?i dont,not these days...i havent got the stomach for it ..... :)
price higher/work harder!

Stoots

« Reply #29 on: October 15, 2019, 06:51:46 pm »

rubbish!why would you not want to be on time?less dirt to clean off the windows then....also who wants to work more than 5 hours a day?i dont,not these days...i havent got the stomach for it ..... :)

Dont you have days or weeks off though Daz?

Im always behind schedule, i`ll catch up a bit slowly over a couple of months then a few missed days or a week off and im behind again.

Currently a week behind, was 2 weeks behind a month ago so hopefully i wont be far off up to date by christmas to then have 2 weeks off and be behind again  :)

Its always a good idea to be slighty behind, that way cancellations or skippers never effect me i simply get on with whats next due.

If i was always up to date i would stress, i much prefer being behind i feel like i have an abundance of work that way.

Shrek

« Reply #30 on: October 15, 2019, 07:36:45 pm »
I work on a monthly basis so I’m always up to date by the end of the month  :)

Hard work though if I’m ill or want a week off  :'(

Johnny B

« Reply #31 on: October 15, 2019, 08:28:10 pm »

John

Jesus.

That's sounds like a complete farce.

Nope. When I arrived here 8 years ago it was like the way Granny described. I learned to adapt to the change in culture here and now have, as I said, regular and ad hoc customers. I rarely 'dump' anyone without a good reason, but merely reassign those whose needs may change into one of the above categories. It's very simple, stress free and it maintains good relationships with customers who all get a personalised service.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

dazmond

« Reply #32 on: October 15, 2019, 10:12:52 pm »

Dont you have days or weeks off though Daz?

Im always behind schedule, i`ll catch up a bit slowly over a couple of months then a few missed days or a week off and im behind again.

Currently a week behind, was 2 weeks behind a month ago so hopefully i wont be far off up to date by christmas to then have 2 weeks off and be behind again  :)

Its always a good idea to be slighty behind, that way cancellations or skippers never effect me i simply get on with whats next due.

If i was always up to date i would stress, i much prefer being behind i feel like i have an abundance of work that way.

of course i take holidays  and get behind but i only take off around 4 or 5 weeks a year.the rest of the time you can (almost!)set a watch by me.... :)

dazmond

« Reply #33 on: October 16, 2019, 06:45:22 pm »
I have a rule that cleaning is "all year round" not seasonal. When people ask/tell me not to come back until spring they are "explained to" and if necessary, dumped if they don't comply with said rule.

However two things have come together recently in that I am trying to trim my round a little and have recently passed off about £250 of my poorer work and am now quite happy to do a bit less during winter too and so while I hold to my rule I am thinking of letting this one have their way without making them go through my explanation as "it suits me, thanks."

It's nothing major - just a £22, 3 bed semi with conservatory which takes about 25 minutes every 8 weeks but the guy also owns a set of four flats which I do quarterly at £65.00 for less than an hours work which DO get done in the winter.

So I am going to graciously accept the request to stop until March "as it suits me thanks."

My lesson? Don't stick to a rule just for the sake of making a point. If it fits my plan even when it comes up by chance I'll think about it before reacting.

Have you any rules that you occasionally allow to be broken? And if so, why?

ive got a domestic job i only clean once a year for £35 next door to a couple of 8 weekly jobs,she was straight with me from the start saying she could only afford me once a year.....the job takes me around 40 mins,shes very nice(primary school teacher) so i just tag it onto the 2 jobs next door when its due..... ;D

NWH

« Reply #34 on: October 16, 2019, 07:28:52 pm »
Blimey Daz she must be crumpet on that hourly rate.

dazmond

« Reply #35 on: October 16, 2019, 09:27:52 pm »
Blimey Daz she must be crumpet on that hourly rate.

why?......£35 to clean her windows then 20 mins to clean next doors for £25 so £60 for an hours work then 20 mins to clean next door to that at £22.....im ok with that......👍

H2GoKent

« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2019, 10:45:26 pm »
Do whatever suits you, not the customer., or rather do whatever you are prepared to as long as they are willing to pay for it.
Otherwise you're letting the tail wag the dog.
I'm very flexible up to a point but will charge extra for every extra thing, longer between cleans,texting the day or whatever.
I am service provider that's how I make my money, so I provide a good service and charge extra for it.
I aim to work  a certain number of hours each week and to make the most money possible per hour.
And that's it really

Actually I do have a rule I won't deal with ignorant people or if I do I charge a LOT more
A manager is generally someone who has been promoted to the position by someone else who didn't see them as a threat.
Hence all people are promoted to the level of their incompetence

Slacky

« Reply #37 on: November 13, 2019, 12:17:31 am »

Sometimes you dont get a choice in the matter Daz. Especially if you havent got the back for it, let alone the stomach.

NWH

Re: One of my "rules" gets broken by a customer. Some
« Reply #38 on: November 13, 2019, 09:56:44 am »
If you can have 5 weeks off work and you are still up to date you don’t have a huge amount of work imo,I am nearly always 10 days behind or so I like it like that always loads to do when and where I want.
5 whole weeks off I would have to say sod it I’ll start again on all my work till it was on some sort of schedule again,although I don’t have a strict schedule where I go I usually look in the book the evening before and think I’ll go there tomorrow unless I have a job booked in.

dazmond

Re: One of my "rules" gets broken by a customer. Some
« Reply #39 on: November 13, 2019, 07:11:15 pm »
If you can have 5 weeks off work and you are still up to date you don’t have a huge amount of work imo,I am nearly always 10 days behind or so I like it like that always loads to do when and where I want.
5 whole weeks off I would have to say sod it I’ll start again on all my work till it was on some sort of schedule again,although I don’t have a strict schedule where I go I usually look in the book the evening before and think I’ll go there tomorrow unless I have a job booked in.

of course i get behind....but its only a week usually (after a holiday) but on some work ill be 2 weeks behind this time (on certain jobs) due to a holiday last month and being laid up with my back this week......

i dont want to be bursting at the seams with work....i have around 340 jobs at present and its manageable....i dont want any more work TBH.....

but some window cleaners are running 3 or 4 weeks late all the time all year round.....i dont see the point.....you d be better selling some off and getting round more often,theyll be less dirt on the windows and your customers will be happier.