This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard iSparkle

Customer says we broke his WiFi!
« on: October 11, 2019, 07:53:27 pm »
Did a first clean 3 weeks ago. Customer emails today and says his external WiFi was broken and the engineer says it’s because it was soaked.

Customer is sure this was us.

The external WiFi box is on the underside of his overhanging external roof.

I replied that we wouldn’t have soaked it, but there is a chance it could have been splashed with a little water.  We weren’t washing the fascia or gutter! The object is about 12” from the window

I said if it’s designed to be outside it should be designed to get wet so he should contact the supplier.

I’d be interested to hear other people’s thoughts

Cheers
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

nathankaye

Re: Customer says we broke his WiFi!
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2019, 08:08:52 pm »

Its not on the same par too much, but i cleaned a customers windows the other day and saw they had a mounted TV outside in their garden on the garage wall........its crazy!

Anything designed to be outside, should be built for the British elements. Therefore as you rightly say,  water of any kind should not be able to get into it
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2019, 08:18:06 pm »
Do not accept liability.  The customer instructed you to so the job.  He is aware of your process.  He is aware of his gadgets, you're not unless informed.  You followed his instructions.    Clear cut
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2019, 08:19:23 pm »
Well what about all the rain we have had ;D

Dont listen to it mate, dodgy wifi box.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2019, 02:31:48 am »
Now it may go against the grain here, but I’d approach this differently.

I’d firstly find out how much the repair/replacement cost is (not from the customer, look it up yourself)

Then, you have to decide how much you want to keep the customer. It’s a simple decision.

For example, if the repair cost is £20 but the customer is a great house that’s well priced and easy to do, and worth keeping even after a £20 loss, then it’s simple. I would just tell the customer I was not sure it could have been my fault, but regardless I’ll pay to replace anyway.

The customer will most likely be over the moon with that attitude, especially if they were expecting a dispute and an argument, and you’ll most likely keep them forever.

However, if you’re not bothered about keeping the customer or the repair cost is too high, you could challenge them to prove it was your fault. You’ll almost certainly lose the customer, and might end up in a pain-in-the-neck dispute.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 07:57:19 am »
Now it may go against the grain here, but I’d approach this differently.

I’d firstly find out how much the repair/replacement cost is (not from the customer, look it up yourself)

Then, you have to decide how much you want to keep the customer. It’s a simple decision.

For example, if the repair cost is £20 but the customer is a great house that’s well priced and easy to do, and worth keeping even after a £20 loss, then it’s simple. I would just tell the customer I was not sure it could have been my fault, but regardless I’ll pay to replace anyway.

The customer will most likely be over the moon with that attitude, especially if they were expecting a dispute and an argument, and you’ll most likely keep them forever.

However, if you’re not bothered about keeping the customer or the repair cost is too high, you could challenge them to prove it was your fault. You’ll almost certainly lose the customer, and might end up in a pain-in-the-neck dispute.

hi pete,

it's a £36 a clean 4 weekly customer

usually I'm inclined to agee with you and we just replace anything which we the customer says we have broken. if i think there is a chance we have broken it then we just replace it.

but every now and then we get something that's just silly and if i don't see how we could have done it i won't pay for it.

the truth of the matter is, is if this item cannot stand any water, and we have somehow splashed it enough cleaning his windows on the first time, there's a good chance it'll happen again and 1. be expected to pay again, and 2. be cancelled.

my best chance of keeping the customer (and my sanity) is to call it out for what it is and see how he takes it
iSparkle Window Cleaning

harleyman

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2019, 08:30:55 am »
Totally dissagre with that you are leaving your self wide open for let's say the guy says you have scratched one of my Windows or broke a garden ornament list gose on.stuck to for guns denie.

mufcglen

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2019, 09:04:02 am »
This might be stupid but isn’t pure water not too bad with a lot of electrical items as it’s basically non conductive?
I’ve seen videos of phones being immersed in it and be fine?

zesty

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2019, 09:07:47 am »
It is possible you did break it, unless rain can reach it round the overhanging roof...

Ask him if it’s protected when it’s raining?

If so might be worth giving him the money then carrying on, but telling him you won’t be doing any windows near that particular place.

If he says no, then his loss...

Sometimes I find keeping the peace is easier than an unhappy customer that can leave bad reviews etc...

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2019, 09:19:43 am »
It is possible you did break it, unless rain can reach it round the overhanging roof...

Ask him if it’s protected when it’s raining?

If so might be worth giving him the money then carrying on, but telling him you won’t be doing any windows near that particular place.

If he says no, then his loss...

Sometimes I find keeping the peace is easier than an unhappy customer that can leave bad reviews etc...

Totally agree with about keeping the peace. Just for my state of mind as much as  anything else.

Like I say that’s what I do as standard. There’s only been 4 cases in 8 years when I said I wouldn’t pay.

Rain can get anywhere in the right weather conditions. And throughout a year I think you’d expect any external electrics will get splashed so should be built to wishstand some degree of water

I do agree with you about saying we won’t clean that area though. That is an option I had missed.

I’ll see what he comes back with.

I will have escalated things a bit with my initial response as no doubt he’ll be ped off  now and probably on a battle footing!
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Granny

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2019, 09:33:45 am »
Start by finding out the IP rating of the WiFi box.
http://www.dsmt.com/resources/ip-rating-chart/

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2019, 09:44:12 am »
This might be stupid but isn’t pure water not too bad with a lot of electrical items as it’s basically non conductive?

I cant believe nobody has picked up on this valid point. 
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2019, 01:27:52 pm »

I cant believe nobody has picked up on this valid point.

But then the same applies to rain water falling from the sky. I would probably not use this as an argument tbh.

I'm not sure how non conductive rain doesn't stop lightening strikes though.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Ralphie

« Reply #13 on: October 12, 2019, 02:30:55 pm »
Rain water contains ions which is the conductive element in water so  as long as you use pure water you cannot conduct electricity.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2019, 02:44:46 pm »
Why has it taken three weeks for him to complain? Has he paid yet? Is it a "fast one?" After all it's a new customer so you have no track record with him.

I would be suspicious. If he is insistent I might ask for the technician's report.
It's a game of three halves!

zeusjazmin

« Reply #15 on: October 12, 2019, 02:47:25 pm »
I would not offer to pay him,if its outside it should be resistant to the elements let alone some water from a wfp

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2019, 02:51:30 pm »
how come he s not noticed before?after all 3 weeks have passed.....if it was the day after the clean maybe it was something to do with you but not 3 weeks......id tell him to do one and never go back(i dont have a website so he couldnt leave a bad review)... ;D

i reckon he s trying it on........just ignore and forget,onward and upwards....id also block his number...
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2019, 03:00:09 pm »
if its 12in from the window how on earth could you splash it with water unless your really careless and dont use a univalve/tap,etc?

i had a customer who accused me of scratching the paint off a newly sprayed fascia above her bungalow windows....i know i didnt do it for defo so i told her in no uncertain terms i wouldnt be back to clean her windows ever again....
price higher/work harder!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #18 on: October 12, 2019, 03:15:41 pm »
Customers sometimes find it very difficult to say thank you very much for that especially when they've agreed for something they didn't really want. Am I the first person here that's thinking he just wants to cancel?.and a one off?
I wouldn't bet my house on it but I if you offered to replace the router no questions asked there's a good chance he would say cheers but we would like to cancel regardless as it can happen again.
I personally think the get out of jail free card here without him looking like a Messer to get out of a £470 annual liability.
Ask him down to Earth we'll replace and see you 13x a year?
I think his ideal scenario would be either option..you replace it or you don't replace it could be wrong but I think cancelling is high on the agenda lol

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #19 on: October 12, 2019, 03:19:09 pm »
I get tired of the number of times I see other trades blaming window cleaners of damage, from window installers to alarm companies to satellite companies to builders and many more.   They must think we are simpletons, being easy prey for a scape goat, blame industry.    Probably because too many of us let them get away with it too, clearly!
Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://r.sumup.io/fXMfH