This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

harleyman

brushes
« on: October 03, 2019, 08:51:33 am »
I have been doing a bit of an experiment lately through boredom sad I know.  I have been trying  all the various brushes  I have bought.  all of them in good order  right up to the latest model in my humble  opinion   I think it is a placebo all these changes of brushes  I have tried  different scenarios and all have produced the same  results I even dug one out of the shed I made years ago out of a Bissell brush I bought from asda many years ago for a couple of quid same results ,clean glass. granted no sill brush .only reason I still buy shop bought brushes is it looks more professional . just wondered if any body thinks the same,

alank

Re: brushes
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2019, 10:23:15 am »
I've tried various brushes and now only use extreme they are very light and I find them more than capable even on first cleans. On maintenance work I think they are unbeatable I'm ordering another couple today. I didn't like the ones with the natural bristles though I thought it was like pushing a damp sponge round the glass, to much resistance on certain jobs for me. ;D

harleyman

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2019, 11:35:48 am »
I have to be honest I have not tried a natural bristle only because I could not find one so that's next on my list

zesty

« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2019, 11:49:44 am »
Been saying this for years, all I use is xtreme brushes, and wide brushes for commercial.

There is never a day where I think ‘man, i wish I had a ultimate, or supreme etc etc’

The xtreme does everything perfectly for me, from maintenance cleans to first cleans.

I do like a wide brush for some of my commercial work, but that’s based on the extra coverage, not scrubbing power.

harleyman

« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2019, 12:20:30 pm »
I think we may be going slightly of topic  what I am trying to say is I personally don't think it matters what  brush it is,   I m o  I get  just the same result no matter what I use. others will say other wise.

Spotfree

« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2019, 03:52:56 pm »
I think we may be going slightly of topic  what I am trying to say is I personally don't think it matters what  brush it is,   I m o  I get  just the same result no matter what I use. others will say other wise.

I use extremes mostly 95% of the time.

I also have more heavily bristled brushes like tucker dual trim and the boar hair version.

I have to disagree with you, I find different brushes are best for different types of window. I like a natural fibre brush for hydrophobic glass, if you drag it slowly you can see if there are any marks left on the glass.

Different bristles remove different things better, you wouldn't want to try and get off a 1/4" seagull slop that's been baked on the glass for 6 months with an extreme (although it would remove it eventually, you would have to do a lot of soaking), you would be better off with a weighty stiff brush.

Nylon bristle are not very good with snail trails.

Spotfree

« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2019, 03:54:41 pm »
I've tried various brushes and now only use extreme they are very light and I find them more than capable even on first cleans. On maintenance work I think they are unbeatable I'm ordering another couple today. I didn't like the ones with the natural bristles though I thought it was like pushing a damp sponge round the glass, to much resistance on certain jobs for me. ;D

I prefer them, and they're being discontinued too.

I use the new TaperTec's a lot but am still not sure about the scrubbing power, they are definitely not as good on snail trails.

harleyman

« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2019, 04:03:51 pm »
I e.  bird shyte use the attachment  that fits to poll that has the green scrub problem solved.

Spotfree

« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2019, 04:16:21 pm »
I have to be honest I have not tried a natural bristle only because I could not find one so that's next on my list

Gardiners are stopping doing the natural bristle, the only other natural bristle (not boar hair, which is easily found) is from WCW the phantom brush which is a shady version of the tucker. I have owned both and the phantom was given away, useless.

harleyman

« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 04:27:44 pm »
ill skip the idea of a natural brush .

robbo333

« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2019, 05:57:54 pm »

Exactly the same.  ;D
"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

dd

« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2019, 06:22:13 pm »
Extreme flocked sill is very good.

Paul-kent

« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2019, 07:25:02 pm »
In my experience light weight brushes will not clean a window as well as a brush full of bristles

Xline or wcw DuPoint brush gave supreme scrubbing power on snail trails

dd

« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2019, 07:39:51 pm »
In my experience light weight brushes will not clean a window as well as a brush full of bristles

I used to think that but was pleasantly surprised at how well the extreme hybrid (with natural bristles) worked. This version is discontinued, but I found the extreme flocked sill cleans very well.

With the extreme I think what helps is the bristles are shorter so hold their shape better, meaning they scrub better (the more a bristle splays the less it scrubs).

chris turner

« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2019, 08:04:56 am »

Totally agree. Xline evo lite are the bees knees.
The best brushes are those that squeeze ss many bristles as possible into a stock whilst remaining fairly lightweight.

Jonny 87

« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2019, 09:16:46 am »
Sometimes we can try and fool ourselves into believing something because we want it to be true, ie - extreme brushes clean just as well as heavier and denser brushes.

In my experience extremes are ok, but to work as fast and efficient as possible, I need a larger brush. Supreme is my brush of choice. It also lets you clean the sills which extreme brushes don’t really do.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2019, 09:27:57 am »
Sometimes we can try and fool ourselves into believing something because we want it to be true, ie - extreme brushes clean just as well as heavier and denser brushes.

In my experience extremes are ok, but to work as fast and efficient as possible, I need a larger brush. Supreme is my brush of choice. It also lets you clean the sills which extreme brushes don’t really do.

I agree, just thrown my extreme away, although very light it wore out too quickly. Put an old supreme on and the difference was significant.

Dave Willis

« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2019, 03:32:10 pm »
‘Stop in the name of love!’ Don’t talk to me about the Supremes.
‘Where did your love go?’ I know, ‘Up the ladder to the roof?’
‘Things are changing’ you know, ‘Some things you never get used to’ but ‘I’ll try something new’ I use them in ‘Bad weather’ you should see the ‘Reflections’
I looked at my Xtreme brush hanging in the van, all I could think was .......................
‘Someday we’ll be together!’

Spotfree

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2019, 04:59:07 pm »

To work as fast and efficient as possible, and to be able to sustain that without collateral damage you want an extreme.

We are all different, when I go to work I go "hard" for 6-8 hours. If I do that with my tucker brush at 300g then I'll feel it at the end of the day. I suffer so much less pain with extremes.

Spotfree

« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2019, 05:09:48 pm »

I agree, just thrown my extreme away, although very light it wore out too quickly. Put an old supreme on and the difference was significant.

I don't know how people are going through brushes so fast, my last extreme hybrid was like new for 12 months.

Some people must be quite literally leaning on the pole when scrubbing, what a waste of effort, equipment and joints.

You have to work with the water, its dissolution properties are the single most effective part of window cleaning. I live on the coast and some parts of my round are terrible, like 4 weekly first cleans. When I used to come across a bad bird muck or similar I used to scrub away like a man possessed, now I do nothing! I simply squirt a bit of water on it and let the water do the work when I return it'll come off easily. If not I carry a waist bag with some abrasives and a scraper, I find mindless scrubbing away at a bird muck a bad idea.