Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

john martin

My leather hack today ...
« on: September 10, 2019, 10:04:24 pm »
I have so many hacks i use to get the results i want ...many of them wouldnt be found on a course  :v   this is one from today

This suite was for the skip imo , but i was asked to clean it

After cleaning i used some regular wall paint tester  from B&q

rub it in ....Half done

What ? ... is that a new chair ?     :o

john martin

Re: My leather hack today ...
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2019, 10:10:44 pm »
a carpet hack this week  ...    This lady had two tesla's in the driveway  ... i had to get her good
I shaved the entire sittingroom with a two inch blade   ...   
( result ...  im invited to clean every other room )   no shaving required

john martin

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2019, 10:16:55 pm »
another ...    A laura ashley wool rug was looking tired with sock fluff etc    ...   
do i apply the right ph solution and tickle it with soft brush   ...   no ... black pad   ... took all the  craap of the top and it needed very little cleaning then .

dutchman

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 08:58:45 pm »
Some good hacks there John. The black pad is something I have seen mentioned before but not used myself. Do you use it often on carpets and are there any types that it does not work on/ damages?

john martin

« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2019, 10:09:13 pm »
Some good hacks there John. The black pad is something I have seen mentioned before but not used myself. Do you use it often on carpets and are there any types that it does not work on/ damages?
Hey , a black pad i would use rarely ,  it suited that rug and i know it would do less damage than a stiff brush .. on that rug  , i only used it for a few seconds also .  A black pad wont 'get going ' on many carpets also  ... at least with my drive board , the carpet often has more grip than the driveboard and it just spins around stationary .
if it was just general aggitation of a chemical id use red or sometimes blue pads .   Or my stiff brush if its suitable to the carpet .
Or often , nothing at all if the carpets in good shape.

Mike Halliday

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2019, 06:24:04 am »
I shave my head (so have a shaver) i’ve Used that to shave part of  a carpet, it gave me the idea to buy a pair of electric horse or dog  shears they are a lot wider and stronger, I keep looking on eBay.

Sealing the paint on the leather might be a issue, you would need to really polish it off so it just soaks into the cracks so you don’t get transfer onto clothing
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

john martin

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2019, 11:28:39 pm »
I shave my head (so have a shaver) i’ve Used that to shave part of  a carpet, it gave me the idea to buy a pair of electric horse or dog  shears they are a lot wider and stronger, I keep looking on eBay.

Sealing the paint on the leather might be a issue, you would need to really polish it off so it just soaks into the cracks so you don’t get transfer onto clothing
Yeah , i too have being meaning to look at electric shears for a while .  I was also going to make  ... like a large wooden version of a  ' bic disposable '  that would use the four or six inch stanley blades .   But then im not shaving carpets every day so never got to it .
On the leather ..yes ,  i rub the excess off the top and it fills in the gaps .  I would mostly use the paint in rougher rental situations where you could only make it better . But the odd time iv done it in regular houses to disguise a bad patch .

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2019, 10:05:50 pm »
Steve Gunn used to use Grison leather balm and apply to pigment leather where they were especially cracked and dye had come off revealing the dark veins.

john martin

« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2019, 12:11:27 am »
Steve Gunn used to use Grison leather balm and apply to pigment leather where they were especially cracked and dye had come off revealing the dark veins.
looks good , i should really get some for the better leathers.

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2019, 04:35:34 pm »
When there are such good leather products available including ones that are a simple wipe on solution I cannot believe that professionals are using products like this  ???
This will not be flexible when dry and will take no time at all to look twice as bad when it cracks again
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC

john martin

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2019, 05:00:53 pm »
Haha , i knew id be in trouble if the leather guys spotted this post .  I dont do a lot of leather , if i get asked to recolour i pass it on to guy in my town who only does mobile leather /vinyl repair and recolouring etc , he dosnt clean carpets / cloth couches .  But yes , iu could be doing more myself , i think i will include it as a proper service in future .  The likes of the couch above , i doint think the owner would have being willing to pay a bit extra for a proper job , so they are delighted with what i did , to get the rental turned around again .   I actually have to do her the same for her son next week , leather suite in garage , going into a rental .

john martin

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2019, 08:28:14 pm »
LTT  , you dont seem to have a cremey white restorer on your site ?    i see other colours   ??

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2019, 10:10:01 pm »
When you say it's for a rental and will just do for now... i imagine this guy

john martin

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2019, 11:22:39 pm »
added caulk could be the answer to any cracking  !  ...  ima play around with it and report back

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDv5-b6Bv40

This might be better  ...
https://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-latex-plus-white-1-5kg/48884

would need very little , i say about £1 including tester to do a suite

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2019, 06:29:08 pm »
The filler I've used in the past is similar to caulk, so maybe, you would need a protective layer though yo keep it on

john martin

« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 07:00:49 pm »
The filler I've used in the past is similar to caulk, so maybe, you would need a protective layer though yo keep it on
great , i might play around with some of the water based polyurethanes .

LTT Leathercare

« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2019, 07:15:34 pm »
The Leather Recolour as it stands at the moment works much better on dark colours
Our trade website has the full set of colours to mix yourself which includes a cream and a white
We are currently working on a better product for pale colours so watch this space!!
http://www.lttleathercare.co.uk
Leather Consultant to the Furniture and Cleaning Industry
Leather Cleaning, Care and Restoration products and services
AMU
IICRC (LCT)
NCCA
SLTC