This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

AuRavelling79

Can't loosen me nut!
« on: August 23, 2019, 08:36:50 pm »
Titter ye not!

So seven years ago I put a 3KW immersion in my 650L tank and on the end of the thread inside the tank put one of those 2.25" BSP smooth solder flange nuts on the inside of the tank wall.

But I cannot undo it as it has probably corroded on the thread and I don't want to use loosening oil as it's on the inside of the tank.

Any ideas?

It is smooth and round with no "nut" faces at all. I did wonder about getting a large jawed set of mole grips or using a pipe wrench - but I can only get one hand inside the through the tank opening.
It's a game of three halves!

nathankaye

Re: Can't loosen me nut!
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2019, 10:02:12 pm »
Time for a new tank me thinks
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Ooooooog

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2019, 10:03:45 pm »
Small clamp, vice or summit?
Or do they slip off just when you think you’ve a good fix?

andyM

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2019, 07:51:29 am »
Mole Grips would be my first weapon of choice.
One of the Plebs

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2019, 10:50:10 am »

Problem is that their jaws don't go as wide as 68mm.

I'm gonna try a set of stillsons type thingies with Dan the Man on one side and me on t'other with the box spanner.

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2019, 12:31:00 pm »
oil filter wrench - we have one that looks similar to mole grips - has some wicked teeth on it - should be enough to gain purchase

really its a 2 man jobbie

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2019, 02:51:20 pm »
Use a bit of heat from a hot air gun obviously don’t melt the tank but usually it will help

andyM

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2019, 05:20:00 pm »

Problem is that their jaws don't go as wide as 68mm.

I'm gonna try a set of stillsons type thingies with Dan the Man on one side and me on t'other with the box spanner.

Have a look at water pump pliers.
Screwfix do a couple of the Irwin Vise Grip larger size which accommodate up to 70mm or Stanley Fatmax 75mm.
One of the Plebs

AuRavelling79

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2019, 10:36:54 pm »
Thanks everybody! Problem solved.

Dan the Man got a set of these from Screwfix with a 70mm opening which is JUST big enough.

https://www.googleadservices.com/pagead/aclk?sa=L&ai=DChcSEwj_wO3uuZzkAhXW53cKHTWXC7cYABABGgJlZg&ohost=www.google.com&cid=CAASEuRohbg_S6hkiaofts_mFMAbXQ&sig=AOD64_3GNjX3-lmajaLGd_14AZcpeoEkgw&ctype=46&q=&ved=0ahUKEwjN9-fuuZzkAhVFyaQKHaqCB74Q9aACCEI&adurl=

He put it on the smooth immersion heater nut through the filler hole in the tank and I used the big box spanner on the outside. I had drained the tank and sprayed penetrating spray on the threads.

It came apart as sweet as a sweet thing in a sweet factory.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 05:55:21 pm »
All is good!

Immersion replaced with a 2KW; tested for leaks and whether it is working - which it is.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 11:04:28 pm »
All is good!

Immersion replaced with a 2KW; tested for leaks and whether it is working - which it is.
If it’s the same 2KW immersion that NK uses you’ll be a fully fledged member of the concrete melting club👍

AuRavelling79

« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2019, 07:03:23 am »
All is good!

If it’s the same 2KW immersion that NK uses you’ll be a fully fledged member of the concrete melting club👍

Well as I replaced a 3KW I reckon I'll be ok!

tlwcs

« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2019, 08:32:18 pm »
All is good!

Why?

Spruce

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2019, 08:09:25 am »
All is good!

Why?

I would feel better using a  2kw element rather than a 3kw from a safety point of view - extension cables etc.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

AuRavelling79

« Reply #16 on: August 28, 2019, 09:24:28 pm »
In answer to tlwcs and to expand upon Spruce's post ...

When I put the 3KW in back in 2012 I found that the plugs got very warm and over time would scorch the socket hole on the live pin.

Then my bro upgraded it to 16 amp caravan electrics and that part was good but the switch to the outside (garage/carport etc) in the house got warm (and I replaced it twice in seven years as it was getting brittle) after a couple of hours being on and more so if I charged a battery or had lights on outside - that extra 100w or so took it right to the limit.

So I thought I could either get a sparky in to run a dedicated feed from my circuit board but decided to just drop to 2KW so I could revert to 13 amp plug and extension lead and use light amperage stuff at the same time off the same spur.

I never had the immersion on for more than 5 hours at a time and so I reckon I can get the same heat in 7.5/9 hours overnight and not worry about melting plastic or worse.

tlwcs

« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2019, 06:39:52 am »
In answer to tlwcs and to expand upon Spruce's post ...

When I put the 3KW in back in 2012 I found that the plugs got very warm and over time would scorch the socket hole on the live pin.

Then my bro upgraded it to 16 amp caravan electrics and that part was good but the switch to the outside (garage/carport etc) in the house got warm (and I replaced it twice in seven years as it was getting brittle) after a couple of hours being on and more so if I charged a battery or had lights on outside - that extra 100w or so took it right to the limit.

So I thought I could either get a sparky in to run a dedicated feed from my circuit board but decided to just drop to 2KW so I could revert to 13 amp plug and extension lead and use light amperage stuff at the same time off the same spur.

I never had the immersion on for more than 5 hours at a time and so I reckon I can get the same heat in 7.5/9 hours overnight and not worry about melting plastic or worse.

Thank you for your reply
I have  the 3 kw all set up by a sparky. Short cable runs and 16amp socket, however I’m moving and the next house I will need a far longer cable run. I’d be interested where you got the element from and what sort of temps you achieve on an 8 hour hook up.
Thanks

AuRavelling79

« Reply #18 on: August 29, 2019, 07:59:50 am »
I had one specially made. You can buy 3kw and 1kw off the shelf. It cost about £80. I'll check the name of the company when I get home. Lead time was about 4 weeks.

tlwcs

« Reply #19 on: September 11, 2019, 06:16:46 pm »
I had one specially made. You can buy 3kw and 1kw off the shelf. It cost about £80. I'll check the name of the company when I get home. Lead time was about 4 weeks.
Can you update for me please 😁