This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

TomCrowther

genny in van
« on: August 22, 2019, 06:23:05 pm »
I got a new Genny last week and used it for the first time in anger today. Large house with heavily blocked, mossy gutters.  All ok except when I came back to the van to turn the genny off it was about 1100 degrees inside the van and the exhaust had been facing one of the flow controllers for the WFP and had basically melted the front, distorting the whole thing so the screws pinged off etc. Knackered.
I had one rear door closed and the other ajar. I'm guessing this was not enough air for the genny as it was running a little off toward the end of the job. My question is how do the guys who keep the genny in the van position it and do you keep both rear doors open?
I'm worried about things getting nicked out of the van while I'm the other side of the building.
Cheers.

Plankton

Re: genny in van
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2019, 07:56:52 pm »
Mmm, lift out the van? I damaged the hardtop on my pickup before.... Not good >:(
On the bright side pure freedom sells control case for 15 bucks.

TomCrowther

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2019, 08:10:47 pm »
Mmm, lift out the van? I damaged the hardtop on my pickup before.... Not good >:(
I ain't lifting it out the van. I work on my tod and it's a big/awkward lump.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2019, 08:24:55 pm »
depending where your tank is we have the side door fully open and the exhaust pointing out - our tank is mid mounted
its not secured - but id like to see someone try and take it - but in the early days we had a chain and lock the chain went either through the loading eye or a ring screwed to the ply floor

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

TomCrowther

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2019, 08:10:38 am »
depending where your tank is we have the side door fully open and the exhaust pointing out - our tank is mid mounted
its not secured - but id like to see someone try and take it - but in the early days we had a chain and lock the chain went either through the loading eye or a ring screwed to the ply floor

Darran
Cheers Darran
Yes, one guy would definitely struggle, but two barstewards could easily chuck it into their van/pick up. I think I will do the same and chain it up and re-think where I keep my other stuff so it's harder to see /reach. ta

Jonny 87

« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2019, 08:48:45 am »
From my pressure washing days I remember that the heat pretty much entirely comes from
The exhaust outlet, so whatever your set up is, you have to have it positioned so your exhaust is facing out the open door.
Vision Technician / Visual Engineer /  Vision Enhancement Operative /...........................................................OnlyUseMeWFP AkA Jonny the Windy Wesher

Dry Clean

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2019, 10:22:51 am »

Why do you think a lot of us have gutter vacs sitting in garages doing nothing, I have a 4.6kw 3 motor gutter vac and it would take three men to lift a generator big enough to handle it.
I rarely do gutter cleans now but if I do arrange to do one I run it of the customers electric, 2 motors, and only run the third for a few seconds if I get something that needs that extra boost.

Stoots

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2019, 11:07:29 am »
Just make an exhaust Flexi pipe for it and put it out the door.

Scrimble

« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2019, 12:12:42 pm »
buy some ramps?

Ooooooog

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2019, 10:08:54 pm »
I got a new Genny last week and used it for the first time in anger today. Large house with heavily blocked, mossy gutters.  All ok except when I came back to the van to turn the genny off it was about 1100 degrees inside the van and the exhaust had been facing one of the flow controllers for the WFP and had basically melted the front, distorting the whole thing so the screws pinged off etc. Knackered.
I had one rear door closed and the other ajar. I'm guessing this was not enough air for the genny as it was running a little off toward the end of the job. My question is how do the guys who keep the genny in the van position it and do you keep both rear doors open?
I'm worried about things getting nicked out of the van while I'm the other side of the building.
Cheers.

Are you crazy? Running a genny in your motor?

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2019, 10:45:55 pm »
When using a genie in the van we leave both side doors open and one back one and make sure it’s not going to affect anything in the van , providing we are off the road and working in a safe place , if not the genie comes out of the van 

Plankton

« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2019, 03:38:12 pm »
Oh just remembered one time the plastic Jerry can in back of pickup was twice the size when I finished the job! Sht a brick when I seen that  :o

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2019, 10:09:37 pm »
don't use plastic ones - but I have left a metal one in sunlight for a few hours and that was taking on the shape of Humpty Dumpty  :o

I thought is best not to open it  ::)roll

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2019, 10:26:00 pm »
Yes I leave the metal one 10 or so meters away from the van/pw behind a tree now!
The thought of waring the contents whilst alight doesn't float my boat!

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2019, 11:14:03 pm »

you can buy a trolley and some ramps for it and then take it in and out with minimal bother.

ive literally only just done this as I didnt realise it was an option at all.

made life a lot easier though
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

TomCrowther

« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2019, 08:38:52 am »
I will have a look at the ramps and wheels side of things.  The cloths, brushes and mops will probably appreciate it. Thank you.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2019, 07:20:44 pm »
I will have a look at the ramps and wheels side of things.  The cloths, brushes and mops will probably appreciate it. Thank you.

get these...

https://www.manomano.co.uk/loading-ramp-2917?model_id=1514886&g=1&referer_id=686945&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho7rBRDxARIsAJ5nhFoF8F2Eo5rouWig0rqB9UnN1xvqTUX2mnB2mOYOuzNQwtvwKheA7_8aAh0TEALw_wcB

i bought them when they were £50 from the same place! :(

and something like this for your size genny

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-Trolley-CP5050-CP6050-Generator/dp/B072S46VJD

i got mine from grippatank
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

TomCrowther

« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2019, 08:35:08 pm »

get these...

https://www.manomano.co.uk/loading-ramp-2917?model_id=1514886&g=1&referer_id=686945&gclid=Cj0KCQjwho7rBRDxARIsAJ5nhFoF8F2Eo5rouWig0rqB9UnN1xvqTUX2mnB2mOYOuzNQwtvwKheA7_8aAh0TEALw_wcB

i bought them when they were £50 from the same place! :(

and something like this for your size genny

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Clarke-Trolley-CP5050-CP6050-Generator/dp/B072S46VJD

i got mine from grippatank
Cheers Richard
I already ordered some {more expensive :-(} ramps and wheels etc earlier today.