This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Richard iSparkle

Gutter vac. blocked downpipes
« on: August 20, 2019, 10:32:23 pm »
For people who use gutter vacs... we've had a couple of jobs recently where the downpipe was blocked and unable to clear with a vac. how do you get around this? is there any way of clearing it without climbing? is there anyway to check if the down pipes clear?

i really want to avoid going up ladders if possible...

thanks
iSparkle Window Cleaning

www.isparklewindowcleaning.uk

Elfyn

Re: Gutter vac. blocked downpipes
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2019, 11:44:09 pm »

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2019, 07:55:12 am »
I've had it with cleaning gutters with a vac.

I bought one a few months ago and on some jobs it's great.

But then I had a couple of real pigs and it put me right off.

One was solid when we had that really hot weather, took me 4 hours to clear them all. Poles weigh a tonne and I had to spray water in all the gutters to soften them up.

You really need a ladder as well.

Cleaning windows is so much easier, an hour with the gutter vac and I'm knackered.

TomCrowther

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2019, 09:37:45 am »
I do quite a lot of gutter clears/cleans. I think if you are going to do them you need to be prepared to use the ladders on some jobs-
The really compact dirt that has built up over years and is two foot down the  downpipe.
To replace the end cap you knocked off while cleaning.
To push back slipped slates/tiles etc.
I use the vac and they are great for most jobs, reaching over extensions/conservatory but have the ladders and laddermate/stand off too.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2019, 12:26:47 pm »
I do quite a lot of gutter clears/cleans. I think if you are going to do them you need to be prepared to use the ladders on some jobs-
The really compact dirt that has built up over years and is two foot down the  downpipe.
I use the vac and they are great for most jobs, reaching over extensions/conservatory but have the ladders and laddermate/stand off too.

i have a ladder on one van for end caps etc

how do you check if the down pipe is blocked? we have a decent HD camera that we can check the gutters on, but this wont show blockages beyond the top of the downpipe
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2019, 12:32:52 pm »

do you charge extra if you need to unblock a downpiep that the vac wont do?
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Slacky

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2019, 12:53:48 pm »

Do you charge less because you can't be arsed getting your ladder off the van?

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2019, 01:14:40 pm »

such a wit  ::)roll

it's a bigger job. we tend to charge more where more time or work is involved   :D
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Dave Willis

« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2019, 01:20:20 pm »
I've had it with cleaning gutters with a vac.

I bought one a few months ago and on some jobs it's great.

But then I had a couple of real pigs and it put me right off.

One was solid when we had that really hot weather, took me 4 hours to clear them all. Poles weigh a tonne and I had to spray water in all the gutters to soften them up.

You really need a ladder as well.

Cleaning windows is so much easier, an hour with the gutter vac and I'm knackered.

Ditto ☝️

Crystal-clear

« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2019, 03:18:46 pm »

it's a bigger job. we tend to charge more where more time or work is involved   :D

Naturally you could go down the route price is x if
It can be unblocked with the gutter vacuum from the ground however if ladder work is required 2 people it will be x dont see why you couldn't do that. :)

TomCrowther

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2019, 04:21:08 pm »

It can be unblocked with the gutter vacuum from the ground however if ladder work is required 2 people it will be x dont see why you couldn't do that. :)
My method is guttervac the lot first. Push the end of the short, straight attachment into the top of the downspout as far as it will go and then listen to the bottom of the downspout. You should be able to hear the air rushing into the top of the pole/attachment.  This tells me the downspout is clear. any doubt and I use the ladder to take a look. You can use the Gardiner spike or similar to check the flow is ok. You could also use a camera on the end of the pole.
I did a job the other week where someone else had recently cleared the gutters but when I looked, all downspouts were blocked with rock hard dirt. Not been touched. Anything out of the ordinary, I take a few pics to explain the problem to the customer as I also now do the easier repairs. New brackets/seals etc. I charge £30 per fix and customers seem to appreciate it. One new bracket and a new seal £60 ta very much.

Richard iSparkle

« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2019, 05:25:23 pm »

My method is guttervac the lot first. Push the end of the short, straight attachment into the top of the downspout as far as it will go and then listen to the bottom of the downspout. You should be able to hear the air rushing into the top of the pole/attachment.  This tells me the downspout is clear. any doubt and I use the ladder to take a look. You can use the Gardiner spike or similar to check the flow is ok. You could also use a camera on the end of the pole.
I did a job the other week where someone else had recently cleared the gutters but when I looked, all downspouts were blocked with rock hard dirt. Not been touched. Anything out of the ordinary, I take a few pics to explain the problem to the customer as I also now do the easier repairs. New brackets/seals etc. I charge £30 per fix and customers seem to appreciate it. One new bracket and a new seal £60 ta very much.

thanks Tom. that makes sense
iSparkle Window Cleaning

Splash & dash

« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2019, 05:31:38 pm »
Tom has summed it up well , there are some jobs that it’s impossible to do without a ladder but I would say we get ladders off one job in twenty , by careful quoting and putting up a camera you can usually predict which ones will be difficult, we did this job from the ground everyone else said it couldn’t be done , nice little earner 😂😂

Spruce

« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2019, 07:49:40 pm »

I think you have to be careful when quoting gutter clearing, especially with downpipes as Tom has said.

If a downpipe has a 'foot' on the end then you can hear if the pipe is clear as has been said. We sometimes are able to release the top  bends to clear the pipe at the top with a bit of gentle persuasion, but we need to use ladders for this.

Some downpipes go into 'sealed' drains. We have one house where there is an inspection cover next to the down pipe so we can remove dirt in the U Bend.
We also have one where the downpipes go into a sealed housing. The downpipe has to be removed. Unfortunately, we don't offer that service and they need to get a plumber or roofer in to do that job.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Nick Day

« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2019, 07:55:21 pm »
Make one of these for yourself https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKijkAClaSE

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2019, 09:09:07 pm »
Guys, - ive been clearing gutters with a vac for over 10 years - never needed to unblock a downpipe with a ladder - we do repairs and re-seal joints so we do use a ladder.

IME - the following has been learnt - you need a full aluminium swan next - if you have the silicone bend or end you will not get the purchase to lift out wads of cr@p in the gutter or the down pipe - if the downpipes has a ballon of similar you can only dislodge it with a solid end and an angle cut so it can run flat along the gutter

The swan neck end also needs to be swaged down slightly to 45mm (from the standard 50mm/2" diameter) 2 " is just to tight on the joins and will have difficulty in dropping into the downpipes

If your using 38mm diameter carbon pipes and hose - go home - there is not enough airflow/suction or room in the pipe to handle larger lumps and clumps.

If your really stuck then you can (where possible) soak the obstruction with water - this softens and swells the blockage and when you put the vac end on it you get a better 'seal' and can pull the whole wad out.

is it empty ? - use a camera - put your ear to the down pipe and run the gutter vac - if its clear you'll hear the air flow - put water down and listen or check the outlet at ground level

HTH

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Splash & dash

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2019, 09:50:39 pm »

I think you have to be careful when quoting gutter clearing, especially with downpipes as Tom has said.

If a downpipe has a 'foot' on the end then you can hear if the pipe is clear as has been said. We sometimes are able to release the top  bends to clear the pipe at the top with a bit of gentle persuasion, but we need to use ladders for this.

Some downpipes go into 'sealed' drains. We have one house where there is an inspection cover next to the down pipe so we can remove dirt in the U Bend.
We also have one where the downpipes go into a sealed housing. The downpipe has to be removed. Unfortunately, we don't offer that service and they need to get a plumber or roofer in to do that job.

When needed we fit inspection hatches in the bottom of the downpipes for customers , it’s a simple job takes about 10 muinits maximum  , all you need is a battery saw , and a couple of screwdrivers , it’s a nic3 little extra we have lots of customers ask us to fit them

Splash & dash

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2019, 09:56:40 pm »
Guys, - ive been clearing gutters with a vac for over 10 years - never needed to unblock a downpipe with a ladder - we do repairs and re-seal joints so we do use a ladder.

IME - the following has been learnt - you need a full aluminium swan next - if you have the silicone bend or end you will not get the purchase to lift out wads of cr@p in the gutter or the down pipe - if the downpipes has a ballon of similar you can only dislodge it with a solid end and an angle cut so it can run flat along the gutter

The swan neck end also needs to be swaged down slightly to 45mm (from the standard 50mm/2" diameter) 2 " is just to tight on the joins and will have difficulty in dropping into the downpipes

If your using 38mm diameter carbon pipes and hose - go home - there is not enough airflow/suction or room in the pipe to handle larger lumps and clumps.

If your really stuck then you can (where possible) soak the obstruction with water - this softens and swells the blockage and when you put the vac end on it you get a better 'seal' and can pull the whole wad out.

is it empty ? - use a camera - put your ear to the down pipe and run the gutter vac - if its clear you'll hear the air flow - put water down and listen or check the outlet at ground level

HTH

Darran

Sometimes a silicon bend is better the one in the picture I posted was done using a silicon bend and we cleared the whole gutter with it , I personally find a fixed angle more fiddly although they do have there place but mine spends more time on the van than being used .
I make all my own gutter tools as I generally find the bought ones dont fit or work that well , it  costs a maximum of £2.00 per end to make m I have evan made ones in site to do awkward jobs takes just a few muinits

jay moley

« Reply #18 on: August 22, 2019, 12:36:41 pm »
One of these works quite well, especially if you put mains tap pressure through it.
https://gardinerpolesystems.co.uk/all-products/water-fed-poles/goosenecks-pole-fittings/pole-fittings/quick-loqtm-gutter-spike.html

Maybe I'm not understanding this product but if it attaches to your pole surely the water flow wouldn't be strong enough to dislodge a blocked down pipe??

Spruce

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2019, 01:39:47 pm »

When needed we fit inspection hatches in the bottom of the downpipes for customers , it’s a simple job takes about 10 muinits maximum  , all you need is a battery saw , and a couple of screwdrivers , it’s a nic3 little extra we have lots of customers ask us to fit them

Sorry to sound ignorant, but please explain. Thanks
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)