This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Crystal-clear

What would 3500l week cost aprox
« on: August 10, 2019, 07:23:26 pm »
On a meter or even better without the meter charge. Taking into account resin pre filters and membranes for the year with about 350 PPM from tap
I know it's hard to estimate but some sort of indication should be possible
Cheers

Pete Thompson

Re: What would 3500l week cost aprox
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2019, 10:51:54 pm »
Ok this is a rough estimate, I use about the same amount of water per week.

Well, actual water itself costs me £3.10 per cubic metre, and you will put approx 50% to waste, so the water itself will be around:
(£3.10 x 2) x 3.5 = £21.70

That £3.10 includes the sewerage charge (which is calculated based on usage so you can't avoid it), but does not include standing charges as you have to pay them anyway.

Then I change my prefilters once a month, they cost approx £4.60 for a 10" carbon and about £2 for a 5 micron filter.  So, £6.60 per month is about £1.52 per week.

Resin, well a 25LTR bag of resin lasts me about 7 months and costs about £84 as my 4040 RO gets the water down to about 9ppm.  Thats about £2.80 per week.

Then there's the RO membranes themselves, mine last about 5 years and cost £316.  So that's £1.21 per week.

So your rough weekly estimate:
Water : £21.70
Prefilters : £1.52
Resin : £2.80
RO Membrane : £1.21

TOTAL WEEKLY COST: £27.23

You might be able to get the water cost down slightly by arguing to the water company that the water used for window cleaning does not go to the sewer (and therefore get the sewerage charge reduced).  I've never done that because I can't be bothered over such a small amount, and also I'm afraid they'll try put me on a commercial tarif or a commercial meter in or some other nonesense.

dd

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2019, 08:19:48 am »
IMO you are over thinking. If you are using 3500l a week you should be earning a lot of dosh.

As long as you use a a half decent RO set up water production should not cost to much even if you are on a meter. (If you are on a meter you can claim a sewage rebate).

My experience of reading your posts is you over think/analyze and just need to get on with it and build your business.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2019, 09:30:16 am »
IMO you are over thinking. If you are using 3500l a week you should be earning a lot of dosh.

As long as you use a a half decent RO set up water production should not cost to much even if you are on a meter. (If you are on a meter you can claim a sewage rebate).

My experience of reading your posts is you over think/analyze and just need to get on with it and build your business.

Always a good idea to know costs. Then you can put them on your tax return. Also good to know whether a method is cost effective.
It's a game of three halves!

Crystal-clear

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2019, 09:36:12 am »
Well thank you very much pete for the detailed response.

DD I wasn't going to respond but if you must know it's not over analysing it's spending a lot of money on water and we're here to make a profit.
So I wanted to figure out how much of business income I would save Pete's response was very helpful for me to put it in perspective much appreciated.

p1w1

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2019, 10:10:03 am »
Why not just times your current running costs to your new figure?

dd

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2019, 01:22:42 pm »

Always a good idea to know costs. Then you can put them on your tax return. Also good to know whether a method is cost effective.
I do work out the annual cost of pure water production for my tax return, including being on a metered supply. I do not know the figure offhand, but am always surprised at how low it is, especially being on a water meter.

zesty

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2019, 02:11:00 pm »
Ok this is a rough estimate, I use about the same amount of water per week.

Well, actual water itself costs me £3.10 per cubic metre, and you will put approx 50% to waste, so the water itself will be around:
(£3.10 x 2) x 3.5 = £21.70

That £3.10 includes the sewerage charge (which is calculated based on usage so you can't avoid it), but does not include standing charges as you have to pay them anyway.

Then I change my prefilters once a month, they cost approx £4.60 for a 10" carbon and about £2 for a 5 micron filter.  So, £6.60 per month is about £1.52 per week.

Resin, well a 25LTR bag of resin lasts me about 7 months and costs about £84 as my 4040 RO gets the water down to about 9ppm.  Thats about £2.80 per week.

Then there's the RO membranes themselves, mine last about 5 years and cost £316.  So that's £1.21 per week.

So your rough weekly estimate:
Water : £21.70
Prefilters : £1.52
Resin : £2.80
RO Membrane : £1.21

TOTAL WEEKLY COST: £27.23

You might be able to get the water cost down slightly by arguing to the water company that the water used for window cleaning does not go to the sewer (and therefore get the sewerage charge reduced).  I've never done that because I can't be bothered over such a small amount, and also I'm afraid they'll try put me on a commercial tarif or a commercial meter in or some other nonesense.

This is the reason I now buy my water from a mate, £15 for 750l, and that lasts me a week sometimes.

So easy, and by your calculations, costs me less than to do it all at home without any of the faff.

High-Tower

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2019, 02:52:54 pm »

This is the reason I now buy my water from a mate, £15 for 750l, and that lasts me a week sometimes.

So easy, and by your calculations, costs me less than to do it all at home without any of the faff.

It is not cheaper. Yours costs £0.02 per litre, whereas his costs £0.007 per litre. He would save over £40 per week. Or almost £2000 per year.

Pete Thompson

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2019, 04:12:13 pm »

As High-Tower has correctly pointed out, it is much more expensive to buy pure water [750 litres costs me about £5.25]. You're paying nearly 3x as much.

But cost is only one part of it.  I would NEVER be dependent on anyone else for supplying something so essential to the business as pure water.  Without it your business (and therefore your income) will simply grind to a halt.

What if you go to collect your water one day and he's not there?  What if you fall out with him? What if he has an equipment malfunction?

Also, how can you plan to grow if you're dependent on someone else supplying adequate water?  What if you take on more work and need 3,000, 4,000 or 5,000 litres?  Will he still be able to reliably supply it?

I'm fascinated to know how 750 litres can last you a week?  That's about 1 day's consumption for me.

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2019, 04:43:31 pm »
I use approx 2000L a week DI only and it costs me around £12 a week in resin (including  my water bill).I'm also on a water meter.....
price higher/work harder!

Plankton

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2019, 06:00:07 pm »
Roughly going through about 3000l per week so again roughly £22.00 per week Di only.

Crystal-clear

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2019, 07:46:26 pm »
well i would make humongous savings it's fair to say the cost is pretty minimal in comparison.

For smaller volume the convenience outweighs the savings but when you start reaching higher volumes the expenses that rack up you start talking about serious money over 12 months.
That's better of in your pocket ultimately.

The 750 for £15 is probably about 2 1/2 times cheaper than the going rate that's a very good deal however it still considerably more expensive over a long period of time then making your own and of course as Pete says it's better to rely on yourself in an ideal world.

Thank you all for your input.

zesty

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2019, 05:20:21 pm »

As High-Tower has correctly pointed out, it is much more expensive to buy pure water [750 litres costs me about £5.25]. You're paying nearly 3x as much.

But cost is only one part of it.  I would NEVER be dependent on anyone else for supplying something so essential to the business as pure water.  Without it your business (and therefore your income) will simply grind to a halt.

What if you go to collect your water one day and he's not there?  What if you fall out with him? What if he has an equipment malfunction?

Also, how can you plan to grow if you're dependent on someone else supplying adequate water?  What if you take on more work and need 3,000, 4,000 or 5,000 litres?  Will he still be able to reliably supply it?

I'm fascinated to know how 750 litres can last you a week?  That's about 1 day's consumption for me.

Easy mate, I only do around 4-5hours a day, and have a very good round. But I did say it ‘sometimes’ last all week, not always.

Been buying it for a couple of years now, no problems, I prefer the lack of faff, plus I live in the 2nd hardest water area of the whole country, so filters are shot to bits much quicker than else where.

My mate isn’t on a water meter, so it makes sense for him, and although I could do it cheaper at home, I prefer the ease. He lives 5 mins away, it’s so simple and that’s worth more to me than the money, One house and the 750l is paid for, so it’s not even worth contemplating the cost. It’s just easy and means my small garden and garage is free of the system and ibc.

If something went wrong, your right, I’d be in a pickle, but there are other who sell water in my area, so it’s no big deal.... or I could just set up my own system again. But to be honest, I can’t see anything going wrong. He’s a mate, and we have no problem with each other.

I don’t know why, but it certainly feels cheaper doing it this way, probably because I hand over the £15 and don’t really ‘see it’.

Each to their own, but I can honestly say, I much prefer it.

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 06:44:16 pm »
sometimes convenience is more important than cost.....
price higher/work harder!

zesty

« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2019, 06:46:17 pm »
sometimes convenience is more important than cost.....

Yes mate, that’s my preference 👍🏼😎