This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

SherwoodCleaningSe

Vauxhall Combo van battery to split charge relay
« on: August 04, 2019, 11:23:03 am »
Hi

I'm helping my son set up a system for his Combo van. He's taking water from me so it's a simple delivery only system.

Its' a 63 plate but I'm wondering if anyone has set up on of these vans before. I'm just trying to route a line from the van battery to a split charge relay. Has anyone done this before?  Maybe there is already battery voltage in the loading bay. Any advice would be appreciated.

Simon.

Spruce

Re: Vauxhall Combo van battery to split charge relay
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2019, 08:04:04 pm »
Hi

I'm helping my son set up a system for his Combo van. He's taking water from me so it's a simple delivery only system.

Its' a 63 plate but I'm wondering if anyone has set up on of these vans before. I'm just trying to route a line from the van battery to a split charge relay. Has anyone done this before?  Maybe there is already battery voltage in the loading bay. Any advice would be appreciated.

Simon.

If there is voltage at the back it will be a low capacity wire, perhaps suitable for a 15amp auxillary power socket. That might be good enough for most things but in my experience restricts the charging rate of the auxillary battery.

I would suggest a good heavy duty battery cable Simon. On my Citroen I had a 5meter 70 amp cable run from the main battery.
On my current Peugeot Boxer I have used 110 amp cable.

My Citroen Relay had the battery in the engine compartment. I ran the cable underneath the van on the near side, attached it to the fuel and brake lines with cable ties and then up into the cargo area by drilling a hole in the floor.

The Boxer has the battery in the floor space in the drivers compartment. I wish I had done the same instead of running it with all the other cables to the back behind the door jam panels and up into the roof line.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Granny

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2019, 07:53:05 am »
I've got a Combo. It's quite easy to run a (fused) cable from the battery through the bulkhead on the nearside, tucked up under the plastic panel below the door.
There is a wire that comes out of the alternator to the instrument panel alternator warning light, (blue I think) , cut it, rejoin it with a cable connector, add an extra wire, so you have one wire in one side of the connector and two in the other side, then you run it through the same route as the cable from the battery to the relay.
The cable from the Van battery is connected to the leisure battery and the relay behind the driver's seat or wherever you have your battery.
If you're unsure an auto electrician would sort it quickly for you.

Spruce

« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2019, 08:26:22 am »
I've got a Combo. It's quite easy to run a (fused) cable from the battery through the bulkhead on the nearside, tucked up under the plastic panel below the door.
There is a wire that comes out of the alternator to the instrument panel alternator warning light, (blue I think) , cut it, rejoin it with a cable connector, add an extra wire, so you have one wire in one side of the connector and two in the other side, then you run it through the same route as the cable from the battery to the relay.
The cable from the Van battery is connected to the leisure battery and the relay behind the driver's seat or wherever you have your battery.
If you're unsure an auto electrician would sort it quickly for you.

If he has a voltage sensing relay then that extra wire from the instrument panel shouldn't be necessary.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)