This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Bill OCallaghan

WFP in back of MPV?
« on: June 17, 2019, 12:57:02 pm »
Hi Guys.
I've been successfully using a trailer for my WFP system for the last 10 years. I'm now thinking of ditching the trailer but don't want to run 2 vehicles, or just a van. I was thinking about getting a Berlingo MVP or similar and putting the tank, pump etc behind the back seats. Has anyone else done this or have any advise on it?

Smudger

Re: WFP in back of MPV?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2019, 01:22:40 pm »
Can be done - has been done - what size tank you thinking of ?

What’s the reason for ditching the trailer ?

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Bill OCallaghan

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2019, 02:50:37 pm »
I was thinking of a  300 litre upright tank.
As for the trailer, it's been good but I reversed recently, forgot I had it hitched up and it swung round and trashed the side of the car!

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2019, 02:56:53 pm »
Should be ok with 300 litre tank,  you will need to strap it down get/make a pump box and mount the reel on a decent bit of ply that you can strap to the top of the tank (or fit next to) try to make it as easy as you can to take in/out and water tight

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Pete Thompson

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2019, 05:33:14 pm »
I suspect this will put a lot of weight over the back axle, you'll probably get pulled for this.  You'll be within the overall payload weight for the vehicle, but that weight must be evenly distributed.  Each axle has a weight limit, exceeding it is against the law and unfortunately very easy for the coppers to spot.

I faced a similar dilemma 18 months ago. I needed a bigger van but also needed transport for non-work use.

I opted for a new Toyota van with a 700 litre ionics pure2o system, and also a car.  I'm glad I did to be honest, I don't want to use a work vehicle for getting around in, going shopping, going on holiday etc.  You need rear seats in your private vehicle IMO.

However, I am now facing yet another dilemma.  New business is continuing to come in at a strong rate, and I now need another van on the road (so I'll be operating 2) but having 2 vans and a car seems a bit much.  Then there's the problem of parking...

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2019, 06:02:05 pm »
Hi Guys.
I've been successfully using a trailer for my WFP system for the last 10 years. I'm now thinking of ditching the trailer but don't want to run 2 vehicles, or just a van. I was thinking about getting a Berlingo MVP or similar and putting the tank, pump etc behind the back seats. Has anyone else done this or have any advise on it?

Jeff Brimble had a tank in the back of an early Citroen Berlingo. But it wasn't behind the back seat. Jeff also used to be able to clean a window with a thimble full of water and never washed or rinsed the top window frame - only did the glass wfp.

As Pete Thompson says. overloading an axle can be dangerous. The early Berlingo Multispaces (1999 to 2008) had a payload of 450kgs. The van came out in 2 payload variants, 600 and 800kgs.
I'm not certain what the specs are on newer models.

If I was advising on this now and the person I was talking to had their mind set on doing this, I would suggest they look to a LWB Vivaro/Trafic with a rear seat conversion. One of the local businesses uses this and its a great conversion for business and pleasure.

For me I find driving around in a van with half a tank of water for pleasure isn't the way I would choose to go. I personally would be less happy with children in the van in the back seat.
I take the Grandchildren to school on a Wednesday morning in the van. They love it but I'm very ware of the dangers even with a over engineered water tank frame secured through the chassis and a solid factory option steel bulkhead.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

dazmond

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2019, 06:32:11 pm »
Hi Guys.

id just buy (or lease) a van specifically for work.......WFP is not ideal for leisure as well.......the weight of water is a problem esp if your driving about with your family in it as well and no matter how hard you try THE VEHICLE WILL GET WET/DAMP......

also its easier for recording vehicle expenses if you have a van solely just for work....

sorry its not what you wanted to hear,but from my experience its far better to have separate vehicles for work and leisure in this business......
price higher/work harder!

Bill OCallaghan

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 06:39:08 pm »
Thanks everyone. Good advice 👍

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 08:35:51 pm »
Have you considered a pick up double cab with a truckman top ?

JJay

« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2019, 08:09:23 pm »
I had the same problem. Some of my windys friends using domestic estates or suv and I was thinking to do the same. After few jobs and few gutter cleans my car start to looks dirty messy and I was feeling it's going to ended up selling for dole money.  Personally I think if you got one car to do everything that means car would be soon to nothing :)

Bill OCallaghan

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2019, 09:09:46 am »
Hi Guys.
Have now decided to stick with the trailer but to be more careful!
I hadn't thought about a axle weights etc and as one of you mentioned, inevitably, there are water leaks, no problem in a trailer but unpleasant in a car.
Thank you all for your suggestions and opinions, very helpful.
Over & out. 👍