This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

hank jr

How to clean Indian sandstone?
« on: May 31, 2019, 09:18:28 pm »
Hi everyone, can anyone point me in the right direction on wer to learn about driveway cleaning and softwashing?

I want to expand my window cleaning business into an exterior cleaning business.... (Smudger's doing the same type of business)

any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for your help!

Much appreciated.

ps any tips or advice on a decent pressure washer and techniques would be appreciated too.

davids3511

Re: How to clean Indian sandstone?
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2019, 10:33:48 pm »
Ask on the general cleaning section, they love a newbie over there. Extra points for being a window cleaner doing some power washing on the side.

hank jr

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 11:23:46 pm »
Ask on the general cleaning section, they love a newbie over there. Extra points for being a window cleaner doing some power washing on the side.

OK will do thanks.

Smudger

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 12:42:17 pm »
the general cleaning section is far less aggressive than it once was - some recent thread will point you in the right direction

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

hank jr

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2019, 02:19:27 pm »
Thanks, seems a lot quieter over there....

nathankaye

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2019, 03:03:16 pm »
Obviously be aware of poor pointing before you begin, unless you intend to repoint afterwards as well.
Yet generally, I would wash and then apply Hypo soft mix, about 3 - 5% dilution depending how bad the lichens are, add a suffactant and a scent to mask the smell.  Apply, leave and then rinse off.

However the specifics on this will be on numerous threads on the pages mentioned above.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

hank jr

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2019, 03:08:00 pm »
Obviously be aware of poor pointing before you begin, unless you intend to repoint afterwards as well.
Yet generally, I would wash and then apply Hypo soft mix, about 3 - 5% dilution depending how bad the lichens are, add a suffactant and a scent to mask the smell.  Apply, leave and then rinse off.

However the specifics on this will be on numerous threads on the pages mentioned above.

Thanks Nathan, I can always rely on you to help me out :)

Do you do pressure washing as well as windows?

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2019, 06:05:46 pm »
Yep, pressure washing, soft washing of house render etc and then obviously Conny roof cleans n fascia cleans.
I'm currently looking into roof cleaning at the moment
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2019, 06:13:59 pm »
The simplest way would be to grab a watering can, add sodium hypo and water (maybe start with 1-4 mix) and pour on the sandstone.

Leave for a fair few mins.

Rinse off with a hose.

If that doesn’t shift it all, add more sodium hypo to the mix and try again.

That is literally how simple softwashing can be 👍🏼

hank jr

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2019, 06:37:36 pm »
The simplest way would be to grab a watering can, add sodium hypo and water (maybe start with 1-4 mix) and pour on the sandstone.

Rinse off with a hose.

Really? Wow I like this softwashing malarky! Screw window cleaning :)

hank jr

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2019, 06:38:54 pm »
Yep, pressure washing, soft washing of house render etc and then obviously Conny roof cleans n fascia cleans.

Thats a good move mate, did you just learn off here then put it into practice at work? Im a bit bothered of destroying someones property in some way ha ha

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2019, 06:51:54 pm »

Thats a good move mate, did you just learn off here then put it into practice at work? Im a bit bothered of destroying someones property in some way ha ha

Jet washing is easy enough really, especially if you start off with decent equipment to begin with.  Ideally 15-21 ltr per min machines, turbo nozzle (which are amazing) and fsc (flat surface cleaners) make light work of anything.  Practice makes perfect, as to the amount of pressure and distance from surface you need to hold.   Mostly it's common sense really...... 😂 You've probably come across people's attempts with karchers n cheap machines, leaving stripes all over the place or even circular patches on fences where they couldn't resist using a turbo to perhaps rinse the wooden side fences 😂😂

Hypo/soft washing was a lot of research into the safe ways of using.  😂😂 Stay away from American videos as they don't seem to care about drift Hypo falling wherever it likes 👍
As different surfaces n cleans need a different strength mixing up.   

Roof cleaning looks easy enough as it's a combination of the above two,   but I'm looking into the IPAF's. So I can hire and control various platforms to get me to the heights required and be fully insured etc to do so.  (mostly because of all the gutter clean jobs I've done and you just know that regardless of how good your gonna clean those gutter, all that moss on the roof will soon end up back in it lol
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

SB Cleaning

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2019, 07:22:32 pm »

Rinse off with a hose.

It wont do as good as job as pressure washing then applying hypo though.

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2019, 08:16:27 pm »

Rinse off with a hose.

Painfull
https://youtu.be/rfytcEJZ-K4
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2019, 08:33:08 am »

Rinse off with a hose.

I’m working on the basis it’s too soft to pressure wash, but that would also be my preference if it was doable without damage.

Softwashing alone should be fine though, no reason it won’t bring the sandstone back to its original look.

Slacky

« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2019, 10:10:56 am »

Rinse off with a hose.

Really? Wow I like this softwashing malarky! Screw window cleaning :)

Its not quite as simple as that.  If you think it is youre going to come unstuck, which may prove very costly.

Smudger

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2019, 02:41:38 pm »

Rinse off with a hose.

What a load of BS - that will never clean up to. decent standard with pressure washing

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2019, 02:43:44 pm »

Rinse off with a hose.

Painfull

Agree - waste of chemical - get on and turbo the bl**dy areas then treat with chemical - job done in 1/4 of the time he spent on that - ah well we see it differently I suppose

Darran

nathankaye

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2019, 06:12:46 pm »

Rinse off with a hose.

Painfull

Agree - waste of chemical - get on and turbo the bl**dy areas then treat with chemical - job done in 1/4 of the time he spent on that - ah well we see it differently I suppose

Darran

I love how it was a video on how to do it,   I honestly don't know why he decided to post it.  A lot of faff and waste of time.
Nope I agree, it could have been done in no time at all, that small area. I'm one for the turbo, (love the thing) /fsc first and remove as much ofthe surface dirt as possible so the Hypo can do its job on what's left, then a final rinse.

Posted vid i saw, to counter act the comment of just using a watering can to sprinkle on and it's that simple.  Yep, watch all the chemical just rinse of as there's no suffactant either..... 😂
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

zesty

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2019, 06:55:43 pm »
Of course if it’s pressure washer ‘able’ then that’s the way to do it.

But if it’s soft stone and you can’t, then a softwash is the alternative. I’ve done it on Customers sandstone window ledges, works great. Watering can, hypo and water, simple.