This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Tom-01

"Cheapy cheap cheap cheap"
« on: April 10, 2019, 11:47:14 am »
We have a customer we have been cleaning for for over 5 years, which we bought from someone else who had been cleaning for 3.5 years.

3 storey town house, £22 8 weekly. I haven't put the price up in all this time. Price rises to come later this year. Also its a faff as you have to drive round the back, clean, reel in, pack up and drive round the front to clean.

Had a text saying thank you for services, but no longer required.

I replied saying that's fine, is there a particular reason for the cancellation?

Reply:
"Hi Tom. We have always been happy with the window cleaning you've done for us, it's just we've found a window cleaner who is a lot cheaper. Thanks again"

I replied:
"Hi xxxx, thats fine, thanks for letting me know. We were due to do a price increase from May as we haven't changed the price for the 5 years we've been cleaning, and for a three storey house £22 is below our minimum price. There's always cheaper window cleaners popping up, I hope they will be reliable for you. Thank you for your custom over the years. Tom"

Now obviously it's part of business life, lose some, win some etc. But 'a lot cheaper' than £22? So maybe £15?

I think with the influx of newbies, or others needing to fill their vans and days, it seems like a bit of a race to the bottom.

Not to worry though, it was replaced on the same day with a new one 9 times the price! Thats how it always works hey?  ;)

M & C Window Cleaning

Re: "Cheapy cheap cheap cheap"
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2019, 01:34:31 pm »
I lost a 12 weekly 3 storey town house I was charging £25 under almost identical circumstances as you describe to another guy who apparently charged them £8. He drives there from about 7 miles away where he cleans her daughter's windows, and doesn't do any other in the area.
What is annoying is that my customer was told by this guy that I was ripping her off. A couple of years has past since this happened. I'd love to know if he's still doing it.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Stoots

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2019, 01:37:06 pm »
Love how prices are so diverse, I would charge about £12 for a 3 storey town house or maybe £15 8 weekly.

£22 is a great price imo, you just be on £500+ a day at that rate surely

David Beecroft

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2019, 01:54:26 pm »
I’ve just taken on a house that the last cleaners were described as unreliable. I quoted twice the price that she was paying. When she winced I explained that that’s why they were unreliable, they had underpriced it and then groaned every time they were supposed to be there.!  I got the job. 😁

dazmond

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2019, 03:27:04 pm »
how long does a 3 storey townhouse take you to clean?i can clean some in 10-15 mins (front and back) and charge  £20 on a 8 weekly frequency....i too have lost a few myself over the years to cheaper WCs...the price is obviously too high for some...thing is i cant be bothered to clean them for any less....
price higher/work harder!

Smudger

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2019, 04:13:51 pm »
I think you handled that really well Tom, we usually talk along those lines and always let the customer know there is no problem if they want to use us again

Newbies will always undercharge - give it 6 months or around December when they either give up due to lack of earnings or its too cold for them and they stop

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

M & C Window Cleaning

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 04:35:48 pm »
Had a lady react very surprised when I quoted her £12 for an 8 weekly clean on  a 3 bed semi last week. She was even more surprised when she realised the price included the backs of the house as well.  When I asked why she said that the previous guy she asked quoted her £25.
We have a choice! We can do one or the other, the opposite, both, or neither depending on which way the wind is blowing.

Cookie

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 06:22:19 pm »
Had a lady react very surprised when I quoted her £12 for an 8 weekly clean on  a 3 bed semi last week. She was even more surprised when she realised the price included the backs of the house as well.  When I asked why she said that the previous guy she asked quoted her £25.

He probably didn't want the job. If I don't want the job I just say so and refer them to another window cleaner.

Klean07

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 08:06:27 am »
I've recently canvassed an area and some of the comments were " our last windie only used to charge £8" my quote was £15. My reply to them is " He probably died of starvation or he was doing it for beer money" most understand and sign up though odd one or two don't bother!
kkleanwindowcleaning.co.uk

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 08:10:19 am »
Every single potential customer that’s asked me to quote and then tells me that their old window cleaner stopped coming. I say to them , there’s one main reason window cleaners stop coming and that’s because they have undercharged.
This gets them ready for my high price

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 08:23:45 am »
Yesterday I cleaned a small conservatory roof for a non customer, £100.
Afterwards they asked for a quote on cleaning the windows. So I had a quick look and quoted £18 for the house and an extra fiver for the conservatory. So £23. Both hubby n wife virtually at the same time said they would think about it! 😂😂 After speaking a little more they told me their current chap is much cheaper.
Haha felt like saying  "well stop moaning and looking for other quotes and if your not happy with them, then I wonder what the problem is!!"
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

RPCCS

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2019, 08:38:02 am »
I had someone a couple of years back had 2 window cleanwrs at once .! I was off wirh broken back and ankle, so she asked these guys to do the windows while I waa off. She told them it was only temporary until I got back, but after I did, she didn't cancel them. I knew she had someone else as the ladder holez in the lawn were not from me. When I told her the price was going up to 7 quid, she told me rhese otjers had quoted her a fiver? So I said if you can get the job done cheaper., go for it. Just be aware that if your new cleaner lets you down, you can't come back to me. I refuse to play second fiddle to someone else.
Cheers Rich

tlwcs

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2019, 03:53:17 pm »
Lad by me, started last year, wrapped van and a two man x-line system, is packing up due to ill health.
I’ve met him and he’s a decent fella but I can’t help but think there just isn’t the work there.

nathankaye

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2019, 03:57:34 pm »
Lad by me, started last year, wrapped van and a two man x-line system, is packing up due to ill health.
I’ve met him and he’s a decent fella but I can’t help but think there just isn’t the work there.

Without taking a gamble and buying ready made rounds, it has to be hard for new starters n thankfully so.
People like me and most on here, we have been operating for many years and invested time, energy and money into building our established rounds. So in essence new starters are working the odd ones which are scattered between people's established rounds
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2019, 04:24:11 pm »
I had someone a couple of years back had 2 window cleanwrs at once .! I was off wirh broken back and ankle, so she asked these guys to do the windows while I waa off. She told them it was only temporary until I got back, but after I did, she didn't cancel them. I knew she had someone else as the ladder holez in the lawn were not from me. When I told her the price was going up to 7 quid, she told me rhese otjers had quoted her a fiver? So I said if you can get the job done cheaper., go for it. Just be aware that if your new cleaner lets you down, you can't come back to me. I refuse to play second fiddle to someone else.

are we in a time warp?......is it 1999? ;D ;D

Simon Trapani

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2019, 07:11:59 pm »
Like your rent Daz ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2019, 08:38:18 pm »

lost me there?
Cheers Rich

Simon Trapani

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2019, 09:39:10 pm »
The price ::)roll

dazmond

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2019, 10:36:20 pm »

lost me there?

the ladder holes in the lawn....that took me back...... ;D

RPCCS

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2019, 11:27:21 pm »
Still got the odd trad job.
Cheers Rich