This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

John Mart

Broken window
« on: February 01, 2019, 12:06:25 pm »
Customer leaves a message to say we cracked a window. Phone the cleaner and he said he didn't notice anything at the time. It was a first floor window and nothing unusual to report. I phone the guy back and it emerges he's just have roof repair work and scaffolding up and gets annoyed when I say that's where I'd be looking. In this situation would you pay for a new window?

Simon Trapani

Re: Broken window
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 12:21:31 pm »
I know that's what public liability insurance is for but no it sounds much more likely to have been the roofers or scaffolders. Don't be taken for a mug.

Do you use hot or cold & how much d'you trust the employee?

drakestar!

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:02:28 pm »
Hold your ground and if you know that it's wasn't anything to do with you don't except liability for it.
He will need proof.
I had 1 like this who blamed me for loads of  scratches on their glass after the painters had left.
In time he admitted that it wasn't me.
Took a while..

SB Cleaning

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 01:05:52 pm »
I would go out and inspect the window before saying anything about the roofers  ::)roll

John Mart

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 03:04:05 pm »
It's got a 20cm crack emanating from the frame. I've said I'll send to insurers. We don't use hot. He's adamant it wasn't there before we cleaned the windows. He seems decent and honest.

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 03:10:33 pm »
No way , I’d just dump the customer. I got blamed for scratching a single window on a conservatory last week. She said you can only see it in the sunlight , I had a look and couldn’t see anything and she couldn’t see anything, but she suggested I get some stuff to get the scratches out  ???
I showed her the flocked brush I use and said I can’t scratch the glass with the tools I use. She said it was a blue brush I usually use ( I only use Gardiners and I don’t think they sell blue brushes) , so I showed her my brushes in the van and told her to get someone else if she’s insisting that it’s me. She said it’ll be ok , carry on. Maybe it was the tradder before me but it defo wasn’t me

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 03:36:12 pm »
Personally i would just say sorry nothing to do with us.

Dump and leave it at that.

whats he gonna do ?

not very good customer service i know, sorry  :-X

John Mart

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2019, 03:51:04 pm »

whats he gonna do ?

It’s one of a row of 5 £25 townhouses of which we do 4. I’ll forward it to Hiscox Insurance and forget it.

Splash & dash

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2019, 04:02:18 pm »

whats he gonna do ?

It’s one of a row of 5 £25 townhouses of which we do 4. I’ll forward it to Hiscox Insurance and forget it.

Are you covered for the window you are working on ? Most insurance companies don’t only one I know of that does is gleaming . If you are responsible for the damage and Ime not saying that you are you would be better paying for it out of your own pocket as there will be an access charge then your premium will go up  and you will have to declare a  claim for the next 5 years , never worth the hassle for a £40-60 pain of glass surely

Slacky

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2019, 04:10:53 pm »
Why are you bothering with an insurer?

Just deny it or fess up and pay out of your pocket.

Not worth the aggro of using your insurer.

John Mart

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2019, 05:07:05 pm »

No? I’d think it would be several hundred? Am I wrong? I know we couldn’t have done it by the way.

Using insurance is a way of letting someone else sort it.

Frankybadboy

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2019, 05:40:40 pm »
cowboys  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

AuRavelling79

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2019, 07:38:08 pm »

No? I’d think it would be several hundred? Am I wrong? I know we couldn’t have done it by the way.

How do you "know" this. Also what type of pane is it? Sealed unit? Single pane? Old, new?
It's a game of three halves!

John Mart

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2019, 08:37:10 pm »

How do you "know" this. Also what type of pane is it? Sealed unit? Single pane? Old, new?
Sealed unit. 6 years. New build.

“Know” is too strong, but the window was closed and it is a bow shaped crack that starts or ends up against the frame. Around 20cm.  I can’t conceive of how a brush could have done it.  As above, a few weeks before there was scaffolding up but the seemingly honest owner is adamant the crack was not there until Vince cleaned.

P @ F

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2019, 08:42:48 pm »
If I knew I hadnt done it then I would no way pay for it , couple year ago I had one ring me up and say I had shattered a pane in the glass connie roof , I knew I hadnt so said I would pop over to have a look  , she sumised that I had dropped the pole onto roof while reaching an above window .
I then asked her  if both her boys had flown the nest , to which she replied that they were both at university thank god , I then asked her whose football that was near to the place of damage then ?
The penny dropped on her then , she went red and I went home  ;D 
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

AuRavelling79

« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2019, 10:07:50 pm »
If your cleaner says he's sure he didn't do it then I would back him to the hilt.
If he starts giving it "hmmm, might have" or the corner of the brush might "have" ... then I'd stump up.

It's a game of three halves!

Spotfree

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2019, 10:34:48 pm »
No doubt the windows were filthy by the time the building work had finished, then your guy comes along and cleans them, revealing the builder's damage? I'd buy it.

capn sparkle

« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2019, 02:43:13 am »
Have a proper chat with Vince.
Reassure him that the broken pane is not an issue but you need to know for certain if he is responsible or not, if not back him to the hilt.

deeege

« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2019, 07:29:06 am »
Forward onto Hiscox and forget about it.  If it was not a part of a decent run of houses I’d probably deny it and dump.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

John Mart

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2019, 08:04:20 am »
Forward onto Hiscox and forget about it.  If it was not a part of a decent run of houses I’d probably deny it and dump.
That's the deciding factor and the only reason I haven't just denied and dumped. I'd pay if I thought we'd done it.