This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Poll

Have you suffered an injury at work which was severe to lay you up for 3 days or longer.

Yes
33.3%
9 (33.3%)
No
66.7%
18 (66.7%)

Total Members Voted: 25

david mark

Re: Work related injuries
« Reply #20 on: December 10, 2018, 07:55:51 pm »
Love to meet the idiots who invented imprinted concrete deadly for trad guys .

dazmond

« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2018, 07:58:32 pm »
Some nasty injuries described here.

I have been extremely fortunate not to have been hurt when I have had the ladders slip or slide away.

I've had 4 or 5 incidents of the ladders going from under me in the 21 years I am in this game, and not once have I been hurt.

The fall which could have been very serious but which would have looked amusing to any eyewitnesses was the one where I was on a flat concrete ledge over a front door. I stepped back to check how clean the window was and fell backwards onto the concrete path below! I was wearing a builder's pouch which protected my lower spine when I landed on it.  Very embarrassing but I got up and walked away unscathed.

John

i cant understand why any window cleaner would remain on the ladders in this day and age when theres a much safer(and faster alternative).........

even the real die hard tradders near me have all switched to WFP now over the last year or two.......
price higher/work harder!

dazmond

« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2018, 08:01:00 pm »
Love to meet the idiots who invented imprinted concrete deadly for trad guys .

thats how i fell of my ladders first time(slipped right down from first floor height)over 20 years ago now...it shook me up for a few mins.....landed on my heels..... ::)roll

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2018, 08:37:09 pm »
Currently off work at the moment.

Fell off a covered walkway end of August, smashed my lower tibia which is now screwed back together with 5 screws, had fractures all the way up tibia.
I’m in a metal fixator cage till March then hopefully a walking boot after that.
The worst injury I had in the 23 years of window cleaning.

You’d have been ok if you’d gone to the gym a few times a week and used xtreme poles and brushes.

(On a serious note, hope you have a speedy recovery mate!)

Cheers Fella, if I had the physique of mo farah it might have helped!!!
Quality is doing it right, even when no-one is looking.

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2018, 08:41:01 pm »

Fell off a covered walkway end of August, smashed my lower tibia which is now screwed back together with 5 screws, had fractures all the way up tibia.
I’m in a metal fixator cage till March then hopefully a walking boot after that.

did you fall off a ladder?

No, like I say I was on a flat covered walkway, actually using water fed and just lost my footing,  next thing I know I’m on the deck.

P @ F

« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2018, 08:41:42 pm »
Only had one 3 floor fall in my time !
It was a standard house but I also went down the basement stairwell for good measure  ;D
Why did it happen ?
Because I was dumb and rushing , normaly I would lash the ladder to the basement railing , on this time I forgot the little rope and could not be bothered to go get it from the car , once up top I felt the ladder jump twice , then it went with a vengeance , it was one of them moments when you freeze and just hold tight for the ride  ;D
I got lucky as on the way down I ripped out a hanging basket which slowed me down a bit , I then hit the top of the railing with my knee and continued head first into the basement, still holding the ladder which I  might add saved my head from busting open on the concrete .
All I suffered was a bruise on my knee , a very lucky boy that day !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

dazmond

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2018, 09:40:53 pm »

No, like I say I was on a flat covered walkway, actually using water fed and just lost my footing,  next thing I know I’m on the deck.

hope your on the mend mate......seriously though try a bit of weight training when your feeling  better....no doubt the doctor has already suggested it....its good for the bones....keeps them strong as we age.....

P @ F

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2018, 09:50:20 pm »
Daz , I dont really think hes gonna be rushing out to pump iron mate , if the doc has mentioned anything it would probably be more along the lines of light physio for 6 months !
You really are a Bullet proof Monk aint ya  ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2018, 10:02:59 pm »
Daz , I dont really think hes gonna be rushing out to pump iron mate , if the doc has mentioned anything it would probably be more along the lines of light physio for 6 months !
You really are a Bullet proof Monk aint ya  ;D ;D ;D

ive fell off ladders twice and landed on my heels both times from 1st floor height....i was fine but i know guys who ve shattered their heels and had to have metal pins in their ankles and one guy who fractured his spine...second time i went for a back x ray and i was fine......there must be some truth in it.....

Gordon_Taylor

« Reply #29 on: December 10, 2018, 11:14:46 pm »

hope your on the mend mate......seriously though try a bit of weight training when your feeling  better....no doubt the doctor has already suggested it....its good for the bones....keeps them strong as we age.....

Many thanks,

I’ve actually gone back to the gym this week under the advice of the physio, I’ve been training in gyms for years so it’s lije my second home, I know my limits but it certainly been a good change of scenery.
Although some of the looks I got when walking around the gym on crutches were priceless, where’s there’s a will there’s a way.

P @ F

« Reply #30 on: December 11, 2018, 12:23:03 am »
Dont think I even know what a gym looks like inside , big bits of metal laying about I hear  ;D ;D ;D

dazmond

« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2018, 08:30:45 am »
Dont think I even know what a gym looks like inside , big bits of metal laying about I hear  ;D ;D ;D

your missing out big time......what could be more satisfying than slowly(over years) building a stronger body,adding muscle,stronger bone mass and generally improving our health....

it also improves mood drastically after a good 60-90 min workout......i  go 3 times a week usually.......

so 3 or 4 hours out of a week to add extra health and vitality is priceless......

Dave Willis

« Reply #32 on: December 11, 2018, 09:21:25 am »
Doesn’t beat Retail Therapy though does it Dazmond? 😀

Johnny B

« Reply #33 on: December 11, 2018, 07:47:28 pm »
Some nasty injuries described here.

I have been extremely fortunate not to have been hurt when I have had the ladders slip or slide away.

I've had 4 or 5 incidents of the ladders going from under me in the 21 years I am in this game, and not once have I been hurt.

The fall which could have been very serious but which would have looked amusing to any eyewitnesses was the one where I was on a flat concrete ledge over a front door. I stepped back to check how clean the window was and fell backwards onto the concrete path below! I was wearing a builder's pouch which protected my lower spine when I landed on it.  Very embarrassing but I got up and walked away unscathed.

John

i cant understand why any window cleaner would remain on the ladders in this day and age when theres a much safer(and faster alternative).........

even the real die hard tradders near me have all switched to WFP now over the last year or two.......

I'm happy being trad. The last fall I described was not from a ladder, it was from a flat concrete roof. And my last incident was years ago, not that I am in any way complacent.

I am very, very careful and not like some who used to run up and down ladders. I take my time and plod away at my customary (slower than) snail's pace.

I have genuinely given much thought to going wfp but I know that it would frustrate the hell out of me with snagged hoses, dragging hoses through dog poo, and not least carting hundreds of litres of water around. On top of that I wouldn't take kindly to spending hundred on new poles etc., which brings me to my point: I would have to earn more to service wfp equipment than I am now to keep my trad gear in order. And I'm not money driven so I'm not looking to make any more than I need. So I have conceded that on those bases wfp really isn't for me.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

P @ F

« Reply #34 on: December 11, 2018, 07:51:06 pm »
John , If you are making good money now then why not make the leap , you will make more and safer .
Depending on the round type of course .

P @ F

« Reply #35 on: December 11, 2018, 07:53:28 pm »
Could you spend a day out with a WFP'er to see whats what ?
Way better than running out and buying on a whim .

Johnny B

« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 07:59:56 pm »
John , If you are making good money now then why not make the leap , you will make more and safer .
Depending on the round type of course .

I didn't say I was making good money, I said I was making enough 😊 I really don't want to change though as I love what I do and how I do it. I appreciate the suggestion though.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

P @ F

« Reply #37 on: December 11, 2018, 08:11:13 pm »
Just a thought , if it isnt your bag then it isnt your bag !
I just went out and got a 175 litre system that fitted into an estate , cost me £700 , could do it cheaper now I reckon . ;D

Frankybadboy

« Reply #38 on: December 11, 2018, 08:21:11 pm »
i fell off a bike once  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

9months off work and another 6months get me back working full time

P @ F

« Reply #39 on: December 11, 2018, 08:26:35 pm »
Lets not forget , It was quite a fall Franky  ;D ;D ;D