Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

mr smear

You tube training videos
« on: November 05, 2018, 08:47:45 pm »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend some Uk preferably training videos for carpet cleaning on You tube or other sources. I have done courses  years ago but need updating. Also interested in learning about bonnet mopping. I don't have much time to go on refresher courses.
Many thanks.

Sergio

Re: You tube training videos
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 10:19:29 pm »
Hi,
Can anyone recommend some Uk preferably training videos for carpet cleaning on You tube or other sources. I have done courses  years ago but need updating. Also interested in learning about bonnet mopping. I don't have much time to go on refresher courses.
Many thanks.
+1

Simon Gerrard

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 06:34:07 pm »
The problem with trying to learn carpet cleaning on YouTube is that you can learn a whole lot of very bad techniques and practises that you then apply to your customers carpets and get yourself into a whole lot of trouble.
I Know a guy, in fact quite a few  guys who thought it was a good idea. It turns out they didn’t know the first thing about shrinkage and thought that it was the pile that shrinks, which is utterly bonkers.
My advice is to go on a proper recognised training course, or look for something else to do as a business.

MarkSutcliffe

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 08:06:56 pm »
I dont have the time,

do you have the time to make money? Training makes money...

NOt just saying that, I had the same opinion when i started out and then realised...

Robin Ray

« Reply #4 on: November 08, 2018, 06:43:37 pm »
I went on a training course before cleaning a carpet and it was well worth it. It not only gave me an idea of why things like browning can happen and how shrinkage can occur in different situations along with what ph levels can cause dye bleed in different situations. It also gave me an idea of what solutions to use on different soils on certain fibers to get the best results. But even more than the technical knowledge it gave me the confidence to talk to the customer with authority about what I was doing. This in turn over the years has given me the confidence to charge more for what I do.
Most of the main suppliers and manufacturers in the industry provide training and it is all worth the effort and money to do. Not everything on Youtube and Forums is rubbish but it is taking someone else's word for it. How do you know what you can do and what you cant really do without proper training..... or costly mistakes.

Dave_Lee

« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 10:03:16 pm »
I did the original training too long ago to mention in carpet cleaning, upholstery cleaning and marketing. They were great courses run by Prochem and gave me a wonderful understanding of the techniques chemicals and pitfalls. However the most useful thing following training, which helped give me confidence and structure was to go with an existing active carpet cleaner for a day. there are many carpet cleaners who will happily accomodate you and pass on usefull practical tips and info. just contact a reputeable one who has been in business for several years at least, who is not on your doorstep and simply ask.
Dave Lee, Owner of Deepclean Services
Chorley Lancs. Est 1980.
"Pay Cheap -You get Cheap - Pay a little more and get something Better."

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2018, 06:57:42 pm »
mr smear

Hi

Prochem course is the best. if you dont want to leave home (correspondence)  then contact BICSc they do a much wider course that will be of greater benefit to you in the long run. and its NVQ level training. I would advise do both.

YouTube has some really big issues as far as carpet cleaning goes. the way it works is that the top videos which are crap keep at the top. the information in these is really poor and sometime dangerous.

Regarding bonnet talk to John

http://www.restormate.co.uk/epages/15094.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/15094/Products/0006jj

This product is far advanced that the rest. I use it on a pub carpet for a regular clean and it great. if its contract work your interested in then check out

https://cleanfax.com/market-research/2018-carpet-cleaning-benchmarking-survey-report/

its got some interesting numbers in it

Respects

Ian Harper

Kevin wilding

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 11:11:09 pm »
Are there any training courses happening in the NE of England? Sunderland Newcastle area.

Robin Ray

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 05:34:45 pm »
Are there any training courses happening in the NE of England? Sunderland Newcastle area.

Restoremate are up there and do courses, also Cleanspec are on the other side in Penrith.

Kevin wilding

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 11:25:07 pm »
Sent them an email restore this morning with no reply, I'll try calling them.

Thanks

mr smear

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2018, 07:09:26 pm »
Thank you for the replies and sorry for the delay. The comments were very helpful. giving me lots to think about.
I've now done a few jobs and got my confidence back. I've cleaned a lot of carpets in the past and done a lot of training NCCA and so on. So I do know what i'm doing.  I had just lost my confidence as it can be a scary business. Thanks again.