Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

Re: Debt Collection
« Reply #20 on: August 30, 2018, 11:49:59 am »
It all depends what's in the contract.

I'd you have agreed to 4 weekly and tbey cancel after the first then you would have thought you would have a case

However it's also a cancel at any time contract, unless you set a clear start and end date to the contract then they can cancel anytime.

However if you have cleaned as agreed and not been paid then you are a winner... You would just need to prove what you agreed in court. That's why you must always get full name address and preferably a text or email conversation on what was agreed.

A case for what ? you cant claim for work you didn't do,  a builder will draw up a contract because they will buy equipment, materials and so on before starting the job so could end up out of pocket if cancelled, but all they will get back is what they have lost and not what they would have made on completing the job.

What u on about...

I said if you agreed to a 4 week clean tgey have a right to cancel anytime before the clean.

Once cleaned as agreed  they owe you money

Dry Clean

« Reply #21 on: August 30, 2018, 12:47:11 pm »

I'd you have agreed to 4 weekly and tbey cancel after the first then you would have thought you would have a case

However it's also a cancel at any time contract, unless you set a clear start and end date to the contract then they can cancel anytime.

However if you have cleaned as agreed and not been paid then you are a winner... You would just need to prove what you agreed in court. That's why you must always get full name address and preferably a text or email conversation on what was agreed.

A case for what ? you cant claim for work you didn't do,  a builder will draw up a contract because they will buy equipment, materials and so on before starting the job so could end up out of pocket if cancelled, but all they will get back is what they have lost and not what they would have made on completing the job.

What u on about...

I said if you agreed to a 4 week clean tgey have a right to cancel anytime before the clean.

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you where talking about cancelling future agreed cleans not non payment for the first clean.

Soupy

« Reply #22 on: August 30, 2018, 01:05:40 pm »
So i currently have a "bad" debt list of about £300, all from ex customers cleaned since the start of this year.  Basically customers that messed me about, bad payers, or cancelling service when i turn up etc the list goes on.  These are mainly new customers who started off okay, but have messed me about since after the first few cleans.

They still owe me money, i'm sick of waiting and when they say "oh sorry i'll get it paid ill tell the wife or the husband to sort it."

I've had enough now.  I'm going to be sending Thomas Sanderson letters to all of them.  Legally i need to give them 7 days notice of my terms to receive payment before i take matters further, how would you personally enforce this. 

Send a text message with 7 days to pay?
Send them my own letter with payment options and 7 days notice?
Not going round knocking, done that tons before gets nowhere and just makes my anxiety worse tbh.

Need to toughen up there is some right messers out there, make empty promises for payment, but never see it.

The only ones worth chasing are the non-payers.

Send out a Thomas Higgins* letter to them all, bank the payments that come in, forget the rest and move on.

You only have one life. Don't wallow in negativity.

Vin

*Definitely don't send a Thomas Sanderson letter to them. It just won't work.

I got chucked by Thomas Higgins for using their services in this way  :(

Edit: just looked back, they didn't bin me exactly, they trebled their fees if I continued to use them as a "Letter Only Service" so....

Shrek

« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2018, 01:47:07 pm »
I think if your a member of the Fsb , this is a free service

Soupy

« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2018, 01:49:52 pm »

What is? Thomas Higgins?

John Mart

« Reply #25 on: August 30, 2018, 01:54:55 pm »
So i currently have a "bad" debt list of about £300, all from ex customers cleaned since the start of this year.  Basically customers that messed me about, bad payers, or cancelling service when i turn up etc the list goes on.  These are mainly new customers who started off okay, but have messed me about since after the first few cleans.

They still owe me money, i'm sick of waiting and when they say "oh sorry i'll get it paid ill tell the wife or the husband to sort it."

I've had enough now.  I'm going to be sending Thomas Sanderson letters to all of them.  Legally i need to give them 7 days notice of my terms to receive payment before i take matters further, how would you personally enforce this. 

Not going round knocking, done that tons before gets nowhere and just makes my anxiety worse tbh.

Need to toughen up there is some right messers out there, make empty promises for payment, but never see it.

Send out a Thomas Higgins* letter to them all, bank the payments that come in, forget the rest and move on.

Vin

Edit: just looked back, they didn't bin me exactly, they trebled their fees if I continued to use them as a "Letter Only Service" so....
Why don’t you just write your own? Mine rarely fails.

Soupy

« Reply #26 on: August 30, 2018, 02:35:01 pm »

Vin

I've been doing that for about 20 years. It [was] for the ones that do.

Shrek

« Reply #27 on: August 30, 2018, 02:47:26 pm »

What is? Thomas Higgins?

Not sure if it’s thomas Higgins but it’s 20 free solicitors letters each year

https://www.fsb.org.uk/benefits/finance/fsb-debt-recovery

John Mart

« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2018, 02:47:38 pm »

Vin

I've been doing that for about 20 years. It [was] for the ones that do.
Gotcha.

The Jester of Wibbly

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2018, 03:03:24 pm »
I have a letter before action template if any one wants it.

Claim your 50% off your mobile payment card reader with Sum Up.  http://fbuy.me/f7Ve3

Stoots

« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2018, 06:28:20 pm »

What u on about...

Sorry I misread your post, I thought you where talking about cancelling future agreed cleans not non payment for the first clean.

No i didn't word it very well...I meant if they agree to 4 weekly clean then they can cancel anytime before each clean. However if they have one of the cleans they have agreed to then they owe you money.

Unless you had a contract with specific terms to the contrary.

Perfect Windows

« Reply #31 on: August 31, 2018, 07:41:02 am »
I find it amusing that whenever debts come up there's a sudden rush of barrack-room lawyers appearing who fire off their opinions about the law.

Forget the law. Look at your time and quality of life. Do you really want to spend time on legal shenanigans that, with a following wind, hours of effort and a court case regarding the exact contract you have with your customer (taking previous case law and precedent into account) might get you twenty or thirty quid out of a customer?

No. Take reasonable steps (I set the limit at about 15 minutes total) to get the money out of people whose windows you actually cleaned and who didn't pay.  Then dust yourself down, forget the money you didn't collect and move on to customers who want you to clean and who want to pay you.  Don't spend time chasing them to court, spend the time with your family, watching TV, picking your backside or even looking for good customers.

Life really is too short.

Vin

Slacky

« Reply #32 on: August 31, 2018, 08:11:06 am »
Lets hope your custards dont read this forum.

dazmond

« Reply #33 on: August 31, 2018, 08:25:47 am »
rather than whinging  do something about it mate if its bothering you that much....forget the letters if its small amounts and knock their door in the evening.....whats wrong with some of you that you cant be arsed collecting?even if its just that once before you dump them for good....armed with a card reader they cant escape paying...... :)
price higher/work harder!

Soupy

« Reply #34 on: August 31, 2018, 08:28:57 am »
I find it amusing that whenever debts come up there's a sudden rush of barrack-room lawyers appearing who fire off their opinions about the law.

Forget the law. Look at your time and quality of life. Do you really want to spend time on legal shenanigans that, with a following wind, hours of effort and a court case regarding the exact contract you have with your customer (taking previous case law and precedent into account) might get you twenty or thirty quid out of a customer?

No. Take reasonable steps (I set the limit at about 15 minutes total) to get the money out of people whose windows you actually cleaned and who didn't pay.  Then dust yourself down, forget the money you didn't collect and move on to customers who want you to clean and who want to pay you.  Don't spend time chasing them to court, spend the time with your family, watching TV, picking your backside or even looking for good customers.

Vin

I wish Tesco would adopt this attitude. I reckon I could outrun them for 15 minutes, even with £30 worth of shopping.

Dry Clean

« Reply #35 on: August 31, 2018, 09:05:52 am »

Vin

I wish Tesco would adopt this attitude. I reckon I could outrun them for 15 minutes, even with £30 worth of shopping.

If Tesco where only losing £300 a year on theft then that's exactly the attitude they would take, never confuse a business decision with the need to get the money back because its become personal.

John Mart

« Reply #36 on: August 31, 2018, 09:54:34 am »

Vin

If Tesco where only losing £300 a year on theft then that's exactly the attitude they would take, never confuse a business decision with the need to get the money back because its become personal.
You need to scale it. If a window cleaner loses £300 a year that’s 0.1%. Say Tesco turnover £1bn that’s 1m. I think.  ;D Damn sure they’ll be chasing that up.

Soupy

« Reply #37 on: August 31, 2018, 10:28:30 am »

Vin

It is the attitude they would take. Maybe. However if they did, that £300 would quickly escalate, as soon as it became apparent to everyone that Tecso had lost their marbles.

Also, as 8weekly said, you need to scale that up. Tesco lose more than £300 a year refunding incorrectly priced items.

Stoots

« Reply #38 on: August 31, 2018, 11:11:09 am »
Tesco probably lose £300 a minute on carrier bags at self serve checkouts.  ;D

Oops that bag didn't scan...

Dry Clean

« Reply #39 on: August 31, 2018, 12:15:56 pm »

Vin

You need to scale it. If a window cleaner loses £300 a year that’s 0.1%. Say Tesco turnover £1bn that’s 1m. I think.  ;D Damn sure they’ll be chasing that up.

No they wouldn't as chasing debt costs in both time and money, Tesco's 1 million might sound like a large amount to let drop but spending millions on the chance of getting it back is a lot more, they would make a business decision based on whats best for profit.