Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Cleanevangelist

A Must Read For All Cleaners
« on: August 16, 2018, 06:11:15 am »
Perceptions of cleanliness, hygiene and hygiene issues – a survey of UK and US media coverage 1989 to 2017

Sally F Bloomfield, February 2018
International Scientific Forum on Home Hygiene

https://1drv.ms/w/s!ArlufLnoNqzjkVk-f1cm3V4r1aUc

it shows how the media is getting it all wrong and how the public believe it. why should you read it? well one of my pet hates at the moment is before and after images used in marketing. they give out the wrong message.  if we are ever going to get people to clean more often then we have to "clean for hygiene"  Jeff Cross cleanfax editor recommends this approach. 

Mike Halliday

Re: A Must Read For All Cleaners
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 06:51:31 am »
There are 3 principle for making more money in business,

1) make customer spend more money by increasing prices,

2)make customers spend money more often by increasing the frequency of their cleaning

3) make customer buy more products or services

Your point ties into number 2, if customers only clean their carpets when they look dirty we cannot increase the frequency of when they call us, but if we can educate them to have their carpets cleaned before they look like they need cleaning then they will use our services  more often
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Cleanevangelist

« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 07:49:26 am »
Mike

what do you think about the before and after thing?

if we use dentist as an example, one group customers waits until they get pain the other are proactive. if you look on twitter at #hygiene you see dentist going on about hygiene, are we missing something?

Ian

Mike Halliday

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2018, 06:44:04 am »
Befor & after photos serve a purpose, we might want customer to call us  before the carpets are really dirty but for the majority of new customers they only think about carpet cleaning when there feet start sticking to the floor,  at this point a before/after photo will get them to call, we then have an opportunity to educate them about preventative care.

Dentists & teeth care are a great example of how we should sell our services and how customer should think about looking after their carpets & soft furnishing

But the multimillion pound advertising budget for teeth cleaning is a big advantage we don’t have, every person in the world is daily told ‘clean your teeth’
Mike Halliday.  www.henryhalliday.co.uk

Doctor Carpet (Ret'd)

« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2018, 12:10:24 pm »
Befor & after photos serve a purpose, we might want customer to call us  before the carpets are really dirty but for the majority of new customers they only think about carpet cleaning when there feet start sticking to the floor,  at this point a before/after photo will get them to call, we then have an opportunity to educate them about preventative care.

Dentists & teeth care are a great example of how we should sell our services and how customer should think about looking after their carpets & soft furnishing

But the multimillion pound advertising budget for teeth cleaning is a big advantage we don’t have, every person in the world is daily told ‘clean your teeth’

Interesting that. Of course it may just be me but I remember when growing up that my dentist always telling me that you should change your tooth brush every three months (partly for hygiene and partly before the bristles get damaged and don’t do such a good job).

Anyway, I used to use this analogy when talk8ng to clients and saying that in the same way as dentists recommend you change your tooth brush regularly you should lose have your carpets cleaned regularly. And as you tend to book another appointment for 3 or 6 months hence with the dentist each time you go there this is what I tried to do with my clients.

I would say it worked quite effectively with those clients that I chose to discuss it with.

( I also tended to use the analogy of having your car serviced regularly as well.)
Diplomacy: the art of letting other people have your way