This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

G & M

generator
« on: June 24, 2018, 09:46:15 am »
Do any of you use a small generator to top up your battery while working? What is the smallest one that could be used for this purpose?

craigR

Re: generator
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2018, 11:47:28 am »
Surely you'd be better to wire it to your van battery (done correctly and fused correctly) so it constantly charges from the alternator.
This works well for us. Only problem then from low battery is poor connections occasionally or when the battery finally gives up.
Its advisable to get an auto elecs advise on this if your anything but extremely compitent / qualified yourself.
Cheaper and more convenient than a generator.
The other way is a solar panel on roof of van that will trickle charge as above but I assume probably 2 or 3 times the cost of running it off the van charging system.

Craig

nathankaye

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2018, 12:24:45 pm »
Whats the thinking behind the idea?
It seems a little overkill for the actual requirement unless your thinking of running gutter vacs or some other tools from it.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

S_RICHARDSON

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2018, 01:58:14 pm »
My battery is on its last legs so as an interim I've borrowed a little 12v generator from a mate of mine. It's awesome. It's like running with a full battery all the time.
Ideal on big jobs when the van hasn't moved in a while.

Splash & dash

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2018, 05:37:02 pm »
Yes it will work but it’s a very expensive way of charging a battery it’s ok in an emergency but wouldn’t want to do it all the time

Go

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 06:31:14 am »
Spare battery?

Those little Honda gennys are the best in the world.

G & M

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2018, 07:20:30 am »
My battery is charged from the van however some days it runs low and I have to leave the van running.

dazmond

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2018, 09:25:59 am »
My battery is charged from the van however some days it runs low and I have to leave the van running.

sounds like you need a new battery.....(or bench charge it overnight)....

i have 2 x 105ah leisure batteries wired to my van battery with a smart charger and i still bench charge them overnight(if im using my diesel heater,which i do 99% of the time).......it keeps the batteries in good condition.....you should never discharge a leisure battery any less than 50% capacity(ideally 70%)on a regular basis.....
price higher/work harder!

nathankaye

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:09 am »
As you may know I use solar panels because I don't cover the mileage often enough to warrant/benefit from a split charger.
However, the last winter proved difficult for solar reaping and therefore I have now combined solar and van battery for those winter / poor sun days.
(check out the vid on NKservices on YouTube)
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Stoots

« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2018, 12:09:09 pm »
I have a 105a leisure battery and I simlly bench charge it every other night.

Never felt the need to use a split relay, solar on any such gubbins

nathankaye

« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2018, 01:29:07 pm »

But that's the point buddy, we don't have to mess around with the battery charging it up every night. Either lugging it into the house or connecting it up each night. It's one less thing to do. So I get home, fill her up from ibc and plug in my immersion to the outside socket ready to be turned on later at night.
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

G & M

« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2018, 06:56:17 pm »
I have a solar panel on my other van but this isn't feasible on this van as there is always two ladders on it and unless I get a frame made to keep the panel above the ladders it won't work. Also bench charging isn't an option either.

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2018, 08:43:57 pm »

But that's the point buddy, we don't have to mess around with the battery charging it up every night. Either lugging it into the house or connecting it up each night. It's one less thing to do. So I get home, fill her up from ibc and plug in my immersion to the outside socket ready to be turned on later at night.

For me a bench charge equates to opening van door pulling out 5m extension cable and plugging into a socket. 30 seconds every other night.

Splash & dash

« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2018, 08:57:51 pm »

How’s it a hardship to put a battery on charge you said that you put your immersion heater on each might battery charger is no more time consuming ????

Stoots

« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2018, 10:36:30 pm »

How’s it a hardship to put a battery on charge you said that you put your immersion heater on each might battery charger is no more time consuming ????

Only just noticed what he wrote, you plug an immersion in nathan but plugging a battery charger in would tip you over the edge ?

thats like saying im going for a poo but its too much hassle to have a wee at the same time  ;D