Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

JJay

Messers and targeting properties
« on: May 21, 2018, 03:31:42 pm »
Hi. I just want to ask you guys how much messers compare to decent customers you've getting  and what is the best way to targeting properly.
I've been struggling with current job that's why I've got limited time for window cleaning and all I had recently was the messers and I've start to thinking is it just problem of my area or all decent custies got already windies and there's no place for me on market.
I'm open to advice. Thanks for support and thanks for understanding.

Dw

Re: Messers and targeting properties
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 04:04:39 pm »
There’s always going to be messers and it takes a lot of time and effort to build a good customer base and wean the messers out.... I don’t know your situation but maybe you need to make more time to get out and build the business more... it’s a numbers game after all and hard enough doing it full time, let alone when giving it “limited time”

callum99

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 05:03:58 pm »
When you first start, you take on anything, you have to do this in order to build up customers, after a while some of them will recommend you to there friends, and so it goes on, after a while, when you have a good supply of work you can then start getting rid of pain in the ass customers, just keeping the best, but it takes a while, took me 7 yrs , been at it 15 now, best of luck.

dazmond

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 05:12:56 pm »
Hi. I just want to ask you guys how much messers compare to decent customers you've getting  and what is the best way to targeting properly.
I've been struggling with current job that's why I've got limited time for window cleaning and all I had recently was the messers and I've start to thinking is it just problem of my area or all decent custies got already windies and there's no place for me on market.

you ll find most of the best customers already have a window cleaner but dont give up...keep leafleting and knocking them doors.eventually you get a few good customers and if you do a good job on a consistent basis recommendations,etc....

it take years to build up a decent round...you only get out what you put in so you need to be canvassing/leafleting every week to build up new customers....

even when you ve been going 25 years like i have you still get the odd messer/good customer turned bad etc.you just need to weed them out quickly then move onto your next job.....
price higher/work harder!

james peters

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 05:20:43 pm »
as above ... tho you did ask about targeting customers ?
I do target specific types ...I target houses that I think can afford a window cleaner.
tho there is no real way of telling.  I have had to let go of many nice properties over the years with wealthy people ... its not that they cant pay ... they are just morons that try not to pay...
then I have customers that live in a small bungalow or owned council house types that pay for their nieghbours and recommend me to all their friends ...( I love this type ) and they value my service .

it really is all about numbers .
you must be thick skinned and just continue to canvass , leaflet or whatever it is you do ...
I always work on the assumption that only 2 out of every 3 new customers will be any good ...and I keep pushing foreward.
I have started charging more for a first clean lately , so even if they turn out to be a messer I am not out of pocket and fretting over the time spent on the first clean.

CleanClear

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:47:40 pm »
"messers" , "decent customers"................. i suppose its all subjective. You've got limited time for window cleaning ? What gonna make you stand out, whats your catch ? I suppose people with just go with a reliable, contactable window cleaners who can actually come out and clean. I really don't get these type posts, and i've no idea why others encourage you.
 Your best way to target properties is go and rob them. The only messer i see is you in the window cleaning industry.
*Status*--------Currently Online---------

Stoots

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 06:34:37 am »
To give some kind of idea my current customer list is about 40% of my total customers ever cleaned.

So roughly half of what you pick up turns out no good for s number of reasons.

Canvassing produces far more Messer's than leaflets however it's quicker to pick up work.

Even when full you need some form of advertising going as it's a never ending cycle of dumping/replacing.

tlwcs

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:03:48 am »
"messers" , "decent customers"................. i suppose its all subjective. You've got limited time for window cleaning ? What gonna make you stand out, whats your catch ? I suppose people with just go with a reliable, contactable window cleaners who can actually come out and clean. I really don't get these type posts, and i've no idea why others encourage you.
 Your best way to target properties is go and rob them. The only messer i see is you in the window cleaning industry.

Harsh, but agree.

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 08:18:52 am »
To give some kind of idea my current customer list is about 40% of my total customers ever cleaned.

Canvassing produces far more Messer's than leaflets however it's quicker to pick up work.

Even when full you need some form of advertising going as it's a never ending cycle of dumping/replacing.

apart from sign writing on the van and logo d uniform ive done no canvassing/leafleting for many years.....walk ups,word of mouth and recommendation is how i get any new work these days.....
price higher/work harder!

JJay

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 09:45:04 am »

Whats the point of being nasty mr know better everything? Funny like windys here with the biggest rounds or biggest experience have fantastic attitude to other and are mostly really helpful because I assume the are humans. If you don't know somone problems or why somone can have  temporary limited time so what's to point of saying anything?  I don't get it. I've been long enough doing window cleaning, being reliable but didn't have time to find new customers and  some of the old ones turn out to be messers that's why I'm asking for different point of view. To get constructive criticism or just good advice.  Everyone start somewhere and some of us are on different stage of building round or got other problems anyway a pinch of empathy and understanding would be great  however, for some it is too much because it is easier to offend others and pretend to be a super window cleaner.

Shrek

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 10:12:17 am »
Don’t take stuff on the internet so personally, to be on a forum and post stuff , you’ve got to be a bit thick skinned.
I think what cleanclear was trying to say was that if your trying to build a business and you’ve got limited time for it , then your not going to be successful over night. To be successful, you’ve got to make time - no excuses. It’s not easy building a business but you’ve got to become a bit obsessed with it and think of ways to get new customers and don’t stop until the customers start tricking in and your happy . If you haven’t got time for your business, then I don’t think anyone else will

JJay

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 12:03:25 pm »
I may overreacted. Sorry. I know it's not going to be done by it's own. Afterwards thanks for honest opinion and for help.

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 06:01:06 pm »

apart from sign writing on the van and logo d uniform ive done no canvassing/leafleting for many years.....walk ups,word of mouth and recommendation is how i get any new work these days.....

Once you have a great round then yes you'll pick up the odd customer that way. Which is enough to keep it ticking over.
Depends what your goals are.

Stoots

« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 06:06:26 pm »

Its amazing what having a bit of faith can do. Just makes decision to succeed and the rest will follow.

When I stated I was part time for about a year, I had a part time job and got to about a grand s month of work. I had no more time to clean windows and was stuck scared to take a jump.

But sometimes in life you have to just jump in and learn hkw to swim when your drowning.

Just get obsessed,  for it and don't look back the rest will follow as you dont have a choice but to succeed, its the only option.

AuRavelling79

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 07:24:48 pm »
Sometimes it is easy to take someone on without "setting out your stall". Then misunderstandings/"messers" occur more often.

By this I mean you should  give a regular price and say "my frequency is ... X weeks and I do not accept doorstep cancellations" which I have to stick to as I have to fit in so many customers in an area on a certain day. (gives the impression you are busy and that you cannot be flexible - even if you aren't or can)

"My price is £X" but an extra £X for the first clean as they  haven't been done for some time."

"I cannot phone/text beforehand because I have hundreds of customers."

All the above give the impression of a person who knows his/her business, is reliable and will not be messed around.

Sometimes folk are honest and say I want an occasional or a one off. When you are established you may refuse these but even now I would charge high (e.g. double) IF I choose to accept at my convenience.

Hope that helps.
It's a game of three halves!

CleanClear

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 10:52:03 pm »
I may overreacted. Sorry. I know it's not going to be done by it's own. Afterwards thanks for honest opinion and for help.

You probably didn't over react mate, it was a straightforeward snotty reply. But here's my tip for you......or anyone else. Its commonsense really. When you are keen for work, or desperate or whatever then any work is better than none. Even if thats a messer or a slow payer , then when you got nothing, its at least something. When you're full with work its harder to take on jobs, so you can be more judgemental/selective on who you take. You'll always get exactly the sort of customer you allow to be on your books, its no one elses fault only the fault of the cleaner who took them on. Didn't want to do the groundwork and put them off...................
*Status*--------Currently Online---------