This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Chris Cottrell

Your thoughts on powered reels working at 24v
« on: May 20, 2018, 08:01:51 am »
I've been using an original power up reel for the last year and find it very slow on 12v it was run from the same 110ah battery but found the amp draw too much and it was effecting the running of the pump  so found a listing on eBay for a motor which was 12/24v so set me thinking about trying it on 24 v , I'm assuming that my original Powerup motor from waterworks might be 12/24v so have wired it up  on 24v and it now goes really fast, not sure how long it will last or weather I will burn it out in time, I did take apart the motor to look at the way it was coiled up and it certainly seems to be sufficiently wired

What do you think foolish or otherwise?

nathankaye

Re: Your thoughts on powered reels working at 24v
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2018, 09:09:08 am »
I did a diy electric reel on my pure freedom hose reel and use a seperate 12v 27amp hr battery and this works quite fast.   Yet it isnt strong enough to continue winding in if someone accidentally stands on the hose when in use.  Not sure if the stronger 24v would be the same, making it hazardous if this was to happen?
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Spruce

Re: Your thoughts on powered reels working at 24v
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2018, 04:54:21 pm »
I've been using an original power up reel for the last year and find it very slow on 12v it was run from the same 110ah battery but found the amp draw too much and it was effecting the running of the pump  so found a listing on eBay for a motor which was 12/24v so set me thinking about trying it on 24 v , I'm assuming that my original Powerup motor from waterworks might be 12/24v so have wired it up  on 24v and it now goes really fast, not sure how long it will last or weather I will burn it out in time, I did take apart the motor to look at the way it was coiled up and it certainly seems to be sufficiently wired

What do you think foolish or otherwise?

Its a 24v motor that Power up use on 12v. So if you power it up with 24v you won't burn it out.

Using it on 12v means it runs at half the speed (good) and also half the torque (bad). According to the electrical formula (Ohms law), using 12v means it use twices the amps it would at 24v (bad).

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)