This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Dw

Domestic or commercial
« on: May 18, 2018, 05:06:12 pm »
What is Everyone’s round made up of? All domestic, all commercial, 50/50?

Just wondered what people’s experiences are in terms of growth and stability.... I know gaining both has pro’s and cons from messers on domestics to being out priced on commercials by nationals or losing big contracts over night. Do some people completely stay away from commercials?

dazmond

Re: Domestic or commercial
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2018, 06:16:30 pm »
both (10% commercial/90%domestic)....no jobs last forever so just reap while you can!! ;)
price higher/work harder!

james peters

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2018, 06:44:57 pm »
some commercial . mostly domestic.
I dont target commercial, 
I only take on commercial if its cash or cheque on day of the clean.  I dont do waiting or chasing after money.

jonboywalton75

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 08:21:19 pm »
40% commercial 60% domestic
Just stick to the well paying commercials and stay away from the rest

Smudger

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:39 pm »
window cleaning - 85% residential 15% commercial

pressure washing is job wise 50/50 but monetary wise 75% commercial 25% residential

i built up residential rounds first before taking on commercial as i didn't want to become reliant on large customers to could potentially put you out of business

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Spruce

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2018, 09:29:19 pm »
window cleaning - 85% residential 15% commercial

pressure washing is job wise 50/50 but monetary wise 75% commercial 25% residential

i built up residential rounds first before taking on commercial as i didn't want to become reliant on large customers to could potentially put you out of business

Darran

May I ask another question Darren please. What is the percentage of your commercial window cleaning against turnover.
I found recently that my round was 95% residential and 5% commercial numbers wise. Turnover though accounted for 25%. I felt that was a little concerning.
Whilst loosing my biggest commercial wouldn't  put me out of business it would cause more than a few ripples.

Another good comparision would be a % of total time spent, but its impossible for me to get a reasonably accurate figure for that one.

I often wonder how the cleaner (I can't remember his name) who cleared out all his residential to do commercial only has got on. He used to be in the Motor Trade.
Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

Splash & dash

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2018, 10:37:50 pm »
We are roughly 60 domestic 40 commercial , years ago I had all my eggs in one basket with doing all my commercial work for one company that was a big mistake as they decided to go with a national company so I lost the contract costing me many thousands of pounds ,it had a big impact on my buisness, however I now have got this contract back due to the poor standard of the work being done but now do commercial work for a number of company’s so if I lost a contract it wouldn’t have such an impact , if there was enough commercial work in my area I would only do that as I much prefer it and it pays better and no chasing smaller payments like domestic

nathankaye

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2018, 01:15:59 am »
100 %   residential.  I purposely avoid commercial, i used to do some commercial  some years ago however.   But im glad I dont have the hassle of chasing up invoices, or cleaning them ridiculously early or the stress of them trying to renegotiate because someone has offered to do so slightly cheaper.   Good money can be had, but it can be taken away very quickly and when it's a large amount it can be hard to replace.  Whereas in residential the loss of a customer may be a large amount financial but mostly they can be quickly replaced.     
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2018, 09:16:22 am »
private offices,childrens homes,nurseries etc are usually good commercial jobs to clean..some ive had for over 15 years.....im not interested in management company jobs,contract cleaning or subbing work off someone,not interested in shops as well sod that....

domestic is king if you work on your own IMO...your eggs are in a lot of different baskets...... :)
price higher/work harder!

Richard Stevenson

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2018, 05:18:58 pm »
Commercial all the way, the best way I have found is to work for management company's.  Do a good job and you will keep contracts for year,s . Remember they are not spending there money, so you can get some great prices.

Slacky

« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2018, 06:04:59 pm »
Ive picked up some management company work this last year.

Its the last time I'll work for them. I did a £145 gutter cleaning job for them, the paper-work and pricing it took longer than the job to carry out.

The biggest window cleaning job Ive secured with them is 2 blocks of flats where only the communal windows are cleaned. They're £45 a visit and done 4 times a year. Not exactly going to retire on these jobs.

John Mart

« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2018, 06:58:44 pm »

Its the last time I'll work for them. I did a £145 gutter cleaning job for them, the paper-work and pricing it took longer than the job to carry out.

The biggest window cleaning job Ive secured with them is 2 blocks of flats where only the communal windows are cleaned. They're £45 a visit and done 4 times a year. Not exactly going to retire on these jobs.
I got asked to quote by email for a Bath Store a couple of weeks ago. I got asked to do it for £2 less monthly than I quoted so I thought what the hell. Then I twigged it was a subbed job as they then requested dockets signed, scanned and emailed to them with an invoice. All that was going to take longer than the bloody window clean so emailed back that I withdraw the £2 off so they went elsewhere.  ;D

Stoots

« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2018, 10:28:49 pm »
99% residential.

I have 1 commercial job at present.

Mick Kent

« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2018, 11:52:23 pm »
Commercial all the way, the best way I have found is to work for management company's.  Do a good job and you will keep contracts for year,s . Remember they are not spending there money, so you can get some great prices.

Agreed, can hit £200ph on some jobs its great

Mick Kent

« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2018, 11:53:38 pm »

I got asked to quote by email for a Bath Store a couple of weeks ago. I got asked to do it for £2 less monthly than I quoted so I thought what the hell. Then I twigged it was a subbed job as they then requested dockets signed, scanned and emailed to them with an invoice. All that was going to take longer than the bloody window clean so emailed back that I withdraw the £2 off so they went elsewhere.  ;D
ARL territory the Bath Stores..stay well clear.

John Mart

« Reply #15 on: May 20, 2018, 06:35:40 am »

ARL territory the Bath Stores..stay well clear.
It was Sterling FMS who I’ve never heard of.