This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

stuartb

8mm hose comparred to 6mm hose?
« on: May 13, 2018, 10:35:39 pm »
Hi folks,
I'm buying an electric reel, Pure freedom or Waterworks. What differences do you notice between 6mm and 8mm hose? Also. Cars drive over my current my 8mm hose with no problem but the 6mm looks a bit more delicate? Are there any brands to avoid or any that perform really well?
Stu

matthewprice

Re: 8mm hose comparred to 6mm hose?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2018, 06:46:04 am »
About a year ago I went for the waterworks reel as you changed to 6 mm,personally I found very little difference in the flow ect.I also have traffic buses bin lorry trucks on occasion and found that gardeners has lasted well .in fact I am still on my first 100m.

dazmond

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2018, 08:18:52 am »
if you go from minibore to microbore its easier to manage.i cant believe window cleaners still use 8mm hose.there is a massive difference between the two...gardiners standard yellow hose is good and durable if your a cold water user,i use PURE FREEDOM 6mm red braided hose as im a hot water user.only had it since jan so cant comment on durability yet but so far so good....
price higher/work harder!

Simon Trapani

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 12:14:15 pm »
I still use 8mm Dazmond. Is it that much lighter & user friendly? Does it affect the flow rate on the controllers?

A couple of my reels will need the hose replacing soon so I will consider switching to the 6mm. Have just stayed with the devil I know previously.

SB Cleaning

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2018, 01:16:20 pm »
I have always used 8mm and have no problems at all...had it for years now too 8)

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2018, 02:30:35 pm »
Iv just bought some 8mm red hose from that guy in Southport (can’t remember his company name) - anyway , it’s a lot easier to manage than than my old yellow pure freedom 8mm hose as that had expanded so much , the 8mm rectus was to small for it!!

Smudger

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2018, 04:07:10 pm »
There is no difference in flow from 8mm to 6mm as your jets limit the flow being 2mm or smaller (usually) you may need to re calibrate as there is a little bit more back pressure/resistance in a smaller bore hose as for strength they are the same as the wall thickness is the same

6mm is better as less water inside it’s lighter and easier to move about it also gets under gates and through tight spaces better

Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

www.oddbodscleaning.co.uk

Simon Trapani

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2018, 06:06:16 pm »
But won’t I need to crank the controllers up causing slightly more draw (amps) to get the same flow rate I get now? I have fixed reels but on a long run it can get heavy to wind in. Either that or I’m getting weaker/lazier in my old age. :)

dazmond

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2018, 06:19:40 pm »
But won’t I need to crank the controllers up causing slightly more draw (amps) to get the same flow rate I get now? I have fixed reels but on a long run it can get heavy to wind in. Either that or I’m getting weaker/lazier in my old age. :)

dont worry about the controllers and pumps mate.theyll be fine.....i guarantee youll NEVER go back to 8mm hose once you ve used 6mm hose....

i have 100m reeled out on a regular basis.much easier with microbore....

i had some 8mm red thermobore once years ago.what a nightmare.100m was heavy and cumbersome to use day in/day out....

Shrek

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 06:40:21 pm »
There is no difference in flow from 8mm to 6mm as your jets limit the flow being 2mm or smaller (usually) you may need to re calibrate as there is a little bit more back pressure/resistance in a smaller bore hose as for strength they are the same as the wall thickness is the same

6mm is better as less water inside it’s lighter and easier to move about it also gets under gates and through tight spaces better

Darran

That’s not what mr Gardiner says ...
‘Higher flow than our 6mm hose’

Splash & dash

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:14:33 pm »

Darran

I think you will find that’s for hot gas systems sold by concept o2 as the boilers won’t run right with 6 mm

zesty

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2018, 07:27:00 am »
I use 8mm with 3mm Jets,

Tried 6mm and for me it reduced flow and used more battery. I have an electric reel so it’s no bother for me having a slightly heavier 8mm hose.

I just love the high flow from 8mm and 3mm jets, makes rinsing very quick and easy.

Smudger

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2018, 08:26:44 am »
I use 8mm with 3mm Jets,

Tried 6mm and for me it reduced flow and used more battery. I have an electric reel so it’s no bother for me having a slightly heavier 8mm hose.

I just love the high flow from 8mm and 3mm jets, makes rinsing very quick and easy.

Well you would need to increase flow 3x3 mm jets produces very little resistance at the brush head and 6mm bore would need more flow to keep up - but this set up is not the norm
Darran
A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.

Smudger

« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 08:31:52 am »

Darran

Yes - 12mm bore could have even more flow but generally we are not running the pumps at 100% and using 3 or more large jets like zesty 2x2 mm jets will only allow so much flow regardless of the hose diameter behind them

Simon Trapani

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2018, 10:36:44 am »
Ok you’ve lost me a bit now Smudger?

I have 8mm id hose, standard Gardiners pencil jets & digi Spring controllers set to around 40/100.

Surely 6mm id hose would require me to crank up the flow rate on the controllers resulting in slightly more amp draw from the batteries?

I have 2 x 2 man delivery systems so electric reels are not really an option for me due to expense. Four reels would cost around 2 grand.

Smudger

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2018, 12:24:58 pm »
you can only push so much water through a 2mm hole  if you crank the controller up to 100 then the pump will start to cut out due to back pressure ( ie the controller thinks you have dead ended the hose )  you can recalibrate it but basically on my vans anything higher than 80 on the controller is not pushing out any more water - it also effects the univalve operation however i don't use pencil jets but fan jets

Darran

dazmond

« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 07:15:35 pm »
Ok you’ve lost me a bit now Smudger?

I have 8mm id hose, standard Gardiners pencil jets & digi Spring controllers set to around 40/100.

Surely 6mm id hose would require me to crank up the flow rate on the controllers resulting in slightly more amp draw from the batteries?

I have 2 x 2 man delivery systems so electric reels are not really an option for me due to expense. Four reels would cost around 2 grand.

simon i have my controller(liquid logic) on 40-45 and the water is gushing out at that setting.plenty of water and i use 6mm hose......batteries fine too.....

Ste b

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2018, 08:14:32 pm »
I agree with daz about never going back to 8mm. I changed to 6mm a couple of months ago, wish i done it years ago.

6mm on a claber reel makes the day so much easier compared to 8mm on a metal reel.
The purpose of life is to have a life full of purpose