This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Stoots

Subbing work out
« on: May 11, 2018, 11:02:59 pm »
Does anyone do this?

nathankaye

Re: Subbing work out
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2018, 11:59:31 pm »
Not too useful, in the past I sold extra work on rather than renting. In my mind theres too many things to go wrong.
At the moment im renting a small round which on wfp is done in a day every four weeks (took him 2 on trad)  from a friend whos come away from window cleaning. The prices are ok but not great. However its gotten me into a new village and ive doubled the turnover of that round in less than a year, so ive got my rent money back and more.  However ive lost  a good section of customers on his books due to them moving and new owners not interested or some have been poor payers that he put up with and i didnt and so when i spoke to them to get paid (some owed 2 cleans and some owed 3 and these are constantly doing it) they got the mardies and cancelled. My friend knows all this, but were good friends and have worked with it.
If your subbing to someone who isn't a good friend then................  ::)roll ::)roll   
Its easier to sell it n be done
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

alank

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2018, 06:31:28 am »
If you still have messers and some  poorly priced work etc I would get rid of these first before making any decisions  if this work is not at the standard that you require to make a decent profit.  Sub out some work to free up a bit time to build up quality work only. then look at it again towards the end of the summer.

alank

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2018, 06:39:11 am »
Adam I know from experience that if you have too much lower quality work on you books it makes no difference who cleans it either do it on your own .subcontractors  or employees the results are the same you run around a lot an make nowt. Getting quality work takes longer but well worth it .

Shrek

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2018, 07:07:51 am »
Time to make a great round then for yourself! Start by dropping all the messers , late payers are a pain but if they pay then keep em... for now.
Have a mass price increase even if it’s £1 or £2 each and see what your left with. Then start building a great round with great prices

Marc Stock

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2018, 07:47:04 am »
Cheers Nathan.

I might be going back to a solo operator for a while so was pondering what to do with a bit of excess work I have.

I could always just dump the worst of it, slow payers, Messer's etc.

I think subbing would be better than renting.
Isnt employing working out Adam?

alank

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2018, 08:41:07 am »
Chery pick your current round print out everything that you don't want to do yourself for whatever reason travel time awkward access etc leave yourself only the best work in the best areas that suit you. Put all the work that is not going to be done by you as a seperate round print it out give it to him and ask him  for a solid price etc if the figures work out happy days if they don't drop the dross or sell some off. It's easier to move forward when you have a hard core of good priced work it keeps you in the mindset of pricing well and not pricing for the sake of filling up someone else's hours I've been there mate. I now have some work subcontracted out and the rest I do with part time help from my daughter and it works for me. best of luck enjoy your holiday  :D

Marc Stock

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2018, 08:49:55 am »
Cheers Nathan.

I might be going back to a solo operator for a while so was pondering what to do with a bit of excess work I have.

He mentioned to me last week that he was thinking about going self employed and if he does would i be interested in giving him some work on a subby type basis...... not yet but said in a month or so he was considering it (ive not spoke to him about this yet so dont want to say too much as not decided)

Looks like i have trained up a competitor just like some of you guys predicted  ;D

Im not really surprised, it was always a possibility....to be honest im not really that bothered either which i suppose speaks volumes about what i think about employing, i have been questioning the whole idea lately.

Its a mixed bag marc is employing, i like some aspects of it but others i could certainly do without.

A few negatives/pitfalls ive found

cashflow - this is really highlighted when you are paying wages, you dont really notice slow or bad payers when solo
Organising - running 2 vans, filling/charging, 2 lots of gear, making work sheets, organizing days etc, chasing payments, updating sheets - the list goes on and it all adds to the workload on an evening.
New work - this is a ballache - you need more work fast which means investment in money or time and then the whole process of messers, no payers and picking up crap

Its not easy mate, theres a few things you need in place imo

number 1 is go cardless thats what i would do differently, you need that cashflow

you also need to be honest about your round, i had a few more skipper and bad customers than perhaps i admitted to and when i was always behind i didnt really think about it. Now im up to date and that work is due and they mess you about then i feel it.

Bottom line is i dont know if i really want all the hassle, i might look at something else business wise.

i could sub him some work
i could sell him some work
i could get rid and get another employee and carry on
or i could go back solo for a bit and see how i feel in a couple of months

Ive also got a situation where my girlfriend is coming to the end of her materntiy leave and her going back to work would involve evenings and weekend work which would mean me doing a lot of baby sitting lol so i need to make a decision what works for us all both financially and in terms of minimum stress.

One thing i can say is there is definitely more to life than money, is ok earning more but if your stress levels increase with it whats the point. I think i was happier when i was earning less on my own but i think i need to revisit that situation to find out.

Anyway ill  be pondering  over it the nxt two weeks form a nice hot beach somewhere in italy  ;D

Some good feedback there Adam.

Did you pay him daily weekly or monthly?

deeege

« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2018, 09:13:54 am »
Cheers Nathan.

He mentioned to me last week that he was thinking about going self employed and if he does would i be interested in giving him some work on a subby type basis...... not yet but said in a month or so he was considering it (ive not spoke to him about this yet so dont want to say too much as not decided)

Looks like i have trained up a competitor just like some of you guys predicted  ;D

Im not really surprised, it was always a possibility....to be honest im not really that bothered either which i suppose speaks volumes about what i think about employing, i have been questioning the whole idea lately.

Its a mixed bag marc is employing, i like some aspects of it but others i could certainly do without.

cashflow - this is really highlighted when you are paying wages, you dont really notice slow or bad payers when solo
Organising - running 2 vans, filling/charging, 2 lots of gear, making work sheets, organizing days etc, chasing payments, updating sheets - the list goes on and it all adds to the workload on an evening.
New work - this is a ballache - you need more work fast which means investment in money or time and then the whole process of messers, no payers and picking up crap

number 1 is go cardless thats what i would do differently, you need that cashflow

you also need to be honest about your round, i had a few more skipper and bad customers than perhaps i admitted to and when i was always behind i didnt really think about it. Now im up to date and that work is due and they mess you about then i feel it.

Bottom line is i dont know if i really want all the hassle, i might look at something else business wise.

Ive also got a situation where my girlfriend is coming to the end of her materntiy leave and her going back to work would involve evenings and weekend work which would mean me doing a lot of baby sitting lol so i need to make a decision what works for us all both financially and in terms of minimum stress.

One thing i can say is there is definitely more to life than money, is ok earning more but if your stress levels increase with it whats the point. I think i was happier when i was earning less on my own but i think i need to revisit that situation to find out.

Anyway ill  be pondering  over it the nxt two weeks form a nice hot beach somewhere in italy  ;D

You don’t baby sit your own child mate.
"....and it's lend me ten pounds, I'll buy you a drink, and mother wake me early in the morning."

alank

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2018, 09:26:38 am »
First things first Adam get on that holiday and chill enjoy your time away come back fresh and take it from there when you have recharged your own batteries  ;D

dazmond

« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2018, 01:47:59 pm »
enjoy your holiday adam you deserve it.......me personally wouldnt give an employee any work to get him started.id just get rid of him and refine my round and drop the messers etc...look after number 1 adam...

with all the new work you ve picked up over the last few months you should have a much more profitable round just for yourself now....its great for motivation... :)

i would fit my work into a  fairly rigid schedule(5 days a week x 6 hours a day,4 weeks a month))and weekends off and stick to it.these hours are not too harsh and you should be able to hit a good turnover every month without getting too bored or burnt out IF your organised and efficient during those 6 hours....

just keep one good van with decent poles and equipment,sell the other and look forward to a much easier,less stressful,flexible working life that most working class people can only dream about.... ;)

....and just continue refining your work.........taking on slightly better paying work/dropping the dross.......it never ends.......BUT DONT WORK ANY MORE HOURS THAN 30 HOURS A WEEK.....but increasing turnover year on year...
price higher/work harder!

Dane

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2018, 03:36:02 pm »
Have you ever employed dazmond?

Slacky

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2018, 06:36:47 pm »
Cheers Nathan.

Sell him the work. Get 3 or 4 times it's value. He'd need to sub the work off you for a year to get anywhere near that amount of return.

paul alan

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2018, 07:15:27 pm »
Also consider the fact that you have worked hard to get to where you are and if you stick at it chances are things will get easier soon, you dont want to look back 5 years from now with regrets of not seeing it through.

Anything that's worth having is hard to get, look at other successful people and see what they have been through to get where they are. I bet they dont have regrets!

Maybe your just getting cold feet and its a phase that may pass? the pot of gold is still waiting at the other end of the rainbow.

robbo333

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2018, 07:20:33 pm »
Adam, whatever you do, good luck to you mate.

If it were me and I had too much work, I would:

1. Put up the prices on EVERY job you think needs it. You're going to lose a few, but you have loads anyway, so who cares.
2. Cherry pick the best jobs from your round and keep them.
3. Get rid of the rest and sell them to your worker, three times the amount. It sounds like he is going to screw you over anyway, so you may as well get some money out of him. After that he is just another competitor (so nothing to worry about).
4. Think that if you sub work out, then you will still be worrying about it every day (you may as well employ someone!)
5. Enjoy your holiday.
6. Come back and start back on your own (window cleaning is fundamentally stress free) that's why we do it!

Just my opinion.

"Thank you for calling: if you have a 1st floor flat, mid terraced house, lots of dogs, no parking, no side access, or no sense of humour, please press hold!
For all other enquiries, please press1"

Shrek

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2018, 07:40:58 pm »
Personally I wouldn’t sell him a single job. Your setting him up to be a competitor where your work is already, let him start from scratch and see how hard it is . He’s learnt the ropes now he wants to take the jobs off you or buy them (whichever way you look at it) . You didn’t spend all that money on canvassing etc just so you could train someone up and then sell them a ready made business did you?
Maybe I’m a bit hard faced but that’s the way I’d look at it , if it happened to me . You may be different but good luck in whatever you decide  :)

Marc Stock

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2018, 08:20:03 pm »
Did you get him to sign an employment contract?

You can stipulate that he cannot work in the same industry as a competitor for a period of time after termination. Did you not do that?

Also are you paying him well enough? Has he access to pensions and holiday pay? Does he have a career path to follow, like helping with new signups and commission payments to him for new business he brings in?

I think you havent given it long enough to make a decision. I think you need to persevere with him, and if he wants to set up on his own. Hand him his notice and get someone else.

Dane

« Reply #17 on: May 12, 2018, 08:50:39 pm »
It sounds like he’s seeing pound signs without really knowing the work you’ve put in mate (in my opinion).... i’d Let him go and work it out himself but wouldn’t help him in anyway, maybe sell some work to someone else... I totally appreciate that people want to go on their own, who wouldn’t with half a brain but don’t bite the hand that feeds you and don’t p on your own doorstep...

Hope you work it out mate, i’d certainly only think about yourself... have a good holiday 👍🏿

Dane

« Reply #18 on: May 12, 2018, 08:55:39 pm »
Sounds like you’ve worked hard from your figures on other posts mate, I wouldn’t leave him with a van or anything...  advertise his job and see what he thinks about that

Marc Stock

« Reply #19 on: May 12, 2018, 09:04:34 pm »
Adam

I would look at getting someone else on board pronto. I was chatting to odbods about this sort of thing  and he said they had to get through a few lads before finding the right ones. In fact if i remember rightly one lad stopped all together to dosomething else and was back with them in 12 months.