This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

David Beecroft

Refurbish Shurflo Pumps
« on: May 08, 2018, 08:45:21 pm »
Hi Folks,
one of my pumps has just given up on me, I'm unsure why whether its the pressure switch or diaphragm or something else. Rather than waste time messing about I've just ordered a new pump. However I now have a couple of old pumps in the shed that were working perfectly well and on the outside look in good condition, being a Yorkshire man I'm loath to throw them out. So I got to wondering if anyone knows whether you can get them refurbished and by whom? I don't know if its worth the bother but thought I'd ask.

Spruce

Re: Refurbish Shurflo Pumps New
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2018, 09:44:09 pm »
Hi Folks,
one of my pumps has just given up on me, I'm unsure why whether its the pressure switch or diaphragm or something else. Rather than waste time messing about I've just ordered a new pump. However I now have a couple of old pumps in the shed that were working perfectly well and on the outside look in good condition, being a Yorkshire man I'm loath to throw them out. So I got to wondering if anyone knows whether you can get them refurbished and by whom? I don't know if its worth the bother but thought I'd ask.

If you are going to do the job yourself then its questionable as to whether its worth doing or not. The moment you have to send the pump away its not worth it. How much is postage or carriage both ways going to cost (Shurflo pumps weigh fractionally over 2kgs + packaging)  and how much per hour will the repairer charge to identify what the problem is and repair it? How long will the pump last after the repair before it fails again do to wear and tear?

The most common problem with Shurflo pumps is the pressure switch. Its easy  fix.

There is a supplier selling 15 amps micro switches on EBay for £5.99. Remove the housing, remove and replace the switch.
If the motor still won't run after you have bypassed the pressure switch, then it could be brushes, but I'm unaware of any supplier selling these as a part - Williamson pumps don't list a part number for the carbon brushes as they are sold as a complete motor assembly.

If you have to buy a motor assembly then you are looking at a cost of near enough a whole new pump.

I'm also of the fix it mentality, but some things just aren't worth repairing. As far as I'm concerned, anything more than a pressure switch isn't worth doing. If however, you have spare Shurflos laying around, then it might be worth robbing one for parts to get the second one working again.

Success is 1% inspiration, 98% perspiration and 2% attention to detail!

The older I get, the better I was ;)

David Beecroft

Re: Refurbish Shurflo Pumps
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2018, 07:38:43 am »
You’re probably right. I’ll just bin them.

P @ F

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2018, 09:20:23 am »
I would at least take the 5 mins to take them apart , if the diaphagm is split you will see it , if the brushes are worn out you will see that too , so then its just the PS which you wont see unless you have a spare to test , the only other problem i have ever seen is where the wires go into the motor , they can become brittle there and snap within the sleeving .
But i am one of those people who throws nothing away EVER  ;D ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

P @ F

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2018, 09:23:08 am »
If you are passing Plymouth drop em in my bin  ;D ;D
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !