This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

matthewprice

Flow controller
« on: April 28, 2018, 10:36:13 pm »
Hi mate uses a cordwood e z 1000 controller .yesterday the connection block he used melted ,was wondering if any one has any ideas why .now controller doesn’t seem to work ,pump and battery seem to work still.said controller is very similar to gardeners liquid logic that I use ,and was wondering if they both would be wired the same .eg red and black to battery and blue brown to pump .thanks for any help .

P @ F

Re: Flow controller
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2018, 11:42:53 am »
Did he have a 10 amp inline fuse on it ?
If not it sounds like its the end of the road for that one matey !
I'm so lazy I'm getting tired of it !

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 10:33:46 am »
Hi mate uses a cordwood e z 1000 controller .yesterday the connection block he used melted ,was wondering if any one has any ideas why .now controller doesn’t seem to work ,pump and battery seem to work still.said controller is very similar to gardeners liquid logic that I use ,and was wondering if they both would be wired the same .eg red and black to battery and blue brown to pump .thanks for any help .

Good Morning Matthew . The EZ1000 is a Spring manufactured controller so at its heart will be a V9 or V11 depending on the age of the controller. The heat required to melt a connector block is high likely in the 250C range. This would suggest that a exposed copper core or damaged cable have shorted down to metal. The Short would also have taken out the PCB and Pump drive stages.

A fuse being a thermal device would have opened well before these high temperatures could have been reached so P+ F question re the fuse and its rating is a valid one.
I would also agree that the external short will have likely damaged the controller severely with repair being unlikely.  It will need to be replaced .

The controllers are max rated to 10 amps, In the event of a short this can be exceeded which is why fitting the correctly rated fuse in any pump controller is important.

http://springltd.co/blog/70/the-importance-of-fuses
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

matthewprice

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2018, 09:15:22 pm »
Thank you for taking the time to answer ,previously  he had a  fuse but was causing a bad connection ,so took it away .but forgot to put in a new one .so the controller was finished .last night I fitted a new controller and fuse .all working .but a big dent in his pocket lol

Ian Sheppard

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2018, 09:17:53 pm »
No problem, It is all up and running again so that is a positive

Cheers

Ian
V16 Is Here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1AhbZirSlpI&t=8s
Polarity Protect technology

Seymour Sunshine

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2018, 10:53:20 pm »

Good Morning Matthew . The EZ1000 is a Spring manufactured controller so at its heart will be a V9 or V11 depending on the age of the controller. The heat required to melt a connector block is high likely in the 250C range. This would suggest that a exposed copper core or damaged cable have shorted down to metal. The Short would also have taken out the PCB and Pump drive stages.

A fuse being a thermal device would have opened well before these high temperatures could have been reached so P+ F question re the fuse and its rating is a valid one.
I would also agree that the external short will have likely damaged the controller severely with repair being unlikely.  It will need to be replaced .

The controllers are max rated to 10 amps, In the event of a short this can be exceeded which is why fitting the correctly rated fuse in any pump controller is important.

http://springltd.co/blog/70/the-importance-of-fuses

This reminds me of something my electronics tutor used to say: "If you fit a fuse to protect a transistor, the transistor will protect the fuse!" That he was talking about transistors shows how long ago it was! But it's still true today with integrated circuits.
Banjo players are sent from heaven ... to make drummers look good.