Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

spickandspan

Re: Does protection work?????
« Reply #40 on: June 27, 2006, 11:39:00 pm »
Thanks Peter.
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

Doug Holloway

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2006, 08:08:27 am »
Hi guys,

This a good topic and a credit to you newbies asking searching questions.

I currently use Prochem Floroseal on carpets and Fabric Seal on suites.

However I have never been convinced on protectors and have always sold them on the it helps remove stains/spillages rather than protection angle.

It makes sense that the solvent based products will give better protection.

The flourocarbon polymer is dissolved in the solvent whereas it is an emulsion in water.

This means it will wet out the fibres better.

The polymer is in a purer form so it will join together and film form better.

The emulsifier will inhibit the film formation.

What Teflon does is change the surface tension so that water based spillages in particular will not wet out as easily, thereby allowing more time for removal.

The application trick is to get as uniform a film as possible so in my view it's important to brush in the water based protector, wheras the solvent based product will not require this.

Obviously there are health issues with using solvents in the home, hence why I use water based even though I know the solvent based will give a better protection.

Cheers

Doug

richie

« Reply #42 on: June 28, 2006, 10:31:00 am »
spickandspan,

When i have returned to customers houses 18-24 months later i always reccommend that they have just the walways TOPPED UP.  I explain to the customer that the traffic on the walkways wear.  I explain this when before i apply the protector in the first instance.  Remember, even though some protectors can offer a 5 year warranty, this does not mean that the protector will last 5 years.

Richie.

spickandspan

« Reply #43 on: June 28, 2006, 01:46:11 pm »
Thanks Richie and nicely explained Doug.
So does that mean if you apply water based protector once you clean it with say water extraction it will need re-applying???
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

richie

« Reply #44 on: June 28, 2006, 02:32:46 pm »
No, a good protector (prchem or enviro-shield) will carry on protecting for 2-3 deep cleans however, some cleaning chemicals will strip the guard from the carpet/upholstery.  I now use either Prochems Pure Clean or Micr-splitters.

Richie.