Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here
Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

spickandspan

Does protection work?????
« on: June 21, 2006, 09:26:27 pm »
I have been testing many different protectors from many companys this week, and non I have tested would I like to stand by.
Would like to hear your comments and results on your testing, or do you have one that I have not tried.
If at first you dont succed.......Dont try skydiving.

carpetclean

Re: Does protection work?????
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2006, 09:39:38 pm »
try the solvent based ones
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Shaun_Ashmore

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2006, 09:55:09 pm »
the problem with the solvent based ones is the stink, years ago I used Gardsman it was a brilliant product and made the 'bead' perfectly but I had a customer that felt very ill when she inhaled the smell (she said she liked the smell of it ???) although there are no side effects that I know of I prefered to stay away from it.

Shaun

carpetclean

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2006, 06:03:55 am »
true it does smell.
NCCA   IICRC

name peter reed

Ian Gourlay

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2006, 08:17:48 am »
Spick and span

You have made a Scientific statement that you have tested various products.

Could you publish your research data a methodology for apraisal please?

spickandspan

« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2006, 02:13:51 pm »
Ian the tests that I did was to apply the four chemicals that I am testing to a identical piece of sample carpet.
They were then left for 24hrs to cure. I then poured a measured amount of cold water on to the said samples and watched and recorded the results. I then tried a same measured amount of hot tea and watched the results.
With the cold water they did all beaded  but some longer then others before they soaked into the sample carpet.
With hot tea the results were not the same as it just soaked into the sample carpet much faster.
If you want me to name them i will, some were water based some solvent.

Mark Roberts

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2006, 04:23:00 pm »
Beading up means little.

You should apply protection exactly as the instructions state.

Protection wont always stop a substance from finding its way into the bottom of the pile, rather it should help stop the substance from penetrating the actual fibre allowing you more time to mop up and stop the stain becoming permanent.

The trouble is many retailers give it a bad name because they don't apply it when they say they have, they then tell the custy once applied its bomb proof just get a sale. The problem is not the product, it is what people are led to believe that protection does and what it actually does do.

If its applied and sold correctly the customer knows what to expect, and if shown what to do when a spill happens the selling of protection becomes easy. Imo ;)

Solugard, guardsman and Enviroshield do what they say, but there are many more.

Mark

andy roberts

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2006, 04:40:52 pm »
Just a quick story about a carpet cleaner who cleaned custys lounge carpet and told her all about Extractas Stainguard. Sold & applied the product as per label instructions.

He was that confident he told the custy to go and get black currant and spill it on the newly cleaned carpet there and then.  :o   No drying time just straight over carpet.

Of course it stained the carpet (which was a beige colour) and in front of the custy (who was getting understandably annoyed) tried everything to remove said stain, but to no avail.

Custy told him to pack up and get out. He told me later that he was sent an invoice from another cleaning firm that she had called to remove stain. He never got paid for the original clean.

The moral of the story is, know your products, what they can and cannot do, how they work and how to apply them propaly before attempting to impress the customer!

Regards,  Andy   :)

Steve Chapman

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2006, 04:47:29 pm »
This friend wasn't you was it andy ;) ;D ;D ;D

andy roberts

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2006, 05:13:54 pm »
Na would I do something like that!   ;D

spickandspan

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2006, 06:58:00 pm »
I agree all those were applied as directions.
But surely if it has had protection on the carpet it SHOULD work all the ones I have tried and tested have not......... I am open to your comments and suggestions.

Liahona

« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2006, 07:38:40 pm »
Just to note, just because a solution doesnt beed up doesnt meen it is not working!! Best, Dave.

craigp

« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2006, 07:56:39 pm »
spic and span,

was there a big difference on ease of removing a stain (HWE) from same carpet protected to non-protected,?

also which works better than others?

spickandspan

« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2006, 10:08:12 pm »
If it does not beed up surely it will just soak straight through??? if it beed then the liquid just sits on top of the carpet.
The best one i have tested is one from Craftex CR31 and the worst one is also from Craftex CR30.
If there are others please let me know because I want to find the best one and use it, i do not feel confident to apply the ones I have at the moment.

craigp

« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2006, 10:20:10 pm »
try prochems flouroseal, thats what i use,

one good thing about it hardly any smell at all being water based, and theres no change in shade, in fact u could believe it is just water applying it, lol.

no idea how good it is really, i have been back to clean one carpet i applied it to, but not sure what carpet would hav cleaned like if i never applied it, need to test on same carpet, like for like.

spickandspan

« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2006, 10:24:50 pm »
Ok I will buy some and try it, I will not just apply a protector if its no good i need to know what is the best one.
I have many of you guys reading this but not many letting me know what you use, so come on guys lets find a good one and make the protection work.

John Kelly

« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2006, 10:29:30 pm »
Spickandspan you have to be careful about mentioning specific products which may not have been tested properly. A lot depends on the actual fibres used, pre-treatments etc. The Craftex product you mention CR31 is actually an upholstery protectant for dry cleanable fabrics.

NigelD

« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2006, 10:58:31 pm »
You say that hot drinks did not bead. I have always been told, on training courses, that hot drinks will not bead and I make that quite clear to customers. I also state that protector will help when spills occur. i.e. give more time to grab the kitchen roll. It will then make it easier to clean if they need a stain remover or need to get yourself back.
It is not a product that protects against all things thrown at it.
Explain where it can help, what it may do and let the customer decide.

andy roberts

« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2006, 11:02:35 pm »
I wonder how many cleaners would give the custy a written guarantee when applying 'stainguard' protector if asked?

Answers on a post card please!

Regards, Andy

spickandspan

« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2006, 12:01:48 am »
CR30 is a water based protector as i said, I asked Craftex what is better and it was them who suggested CR31 on carpets.........
It still baffles me why other C/C have not suggested what they use or are they like me not sure what to use.
I know nothing is bomb proof but surely we must have something better????. Other than cover the carpet or suite with cling film there must be a good product out there,  what do all the guys use that have been in the trade for years use.or is that a secret.......... ???  ???