This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Jonathan s

Customer cancelling £1 increase
« on: March 20, 2018, 12:14:37 pm »
The first time in 8 years I put the prices up.    I made a rod for my own back so have only increased mine but a quid.    Today one said.   
Oh that’s too much can I you do it every 3 months

I said nope.   Bear in mind this is a 4 bed house and I did the indoor patio for a tenner all in!!

nathankaye

Re: Customer cancelling £1 increase
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2018, 12:23:38 pm »
The first time in 8 years I put the prices up.    I made a rod for my own back so have only increased mine but a quid.    Today one said.   
Oh that’s too much can I you do it every 3 months

I said nope.   Bear in mind this is a 4 bed house and I did the indoor patio for a tenner all in!!

Its a steep learning curve but thankfully in this line of work it isnt long before they get replaced anyway.

Happened to me, as I used to just get new midern prices with every new job and so collectively I was more than happy with the earnings overall and these prices are good for a couple of years. Butthe time came to increase the old prices and a small handfull didnt like it!  I soon realised that I had conditioned my customers into thinking their price of many years was the going price and they werent happy to be told otherwise.  Now all my prices go up every 2 years even if its just a pound, so they realise and expect their prices to go up like everything else in life does
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

Plankton

« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2018, 01:19:19 pm »
This is why I put off buying a round recently as the prices were £2 under for a semi and the larger houses from £5 under per house.
If I had bought it and stuck the prices up then the other cheap windys or previous workers would soon cotton on and pickup the fallouts.
Some folks put off price rises for one reason or another but at the end of the day everything goes up so you have to keep with the times.

Dane

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2018, 02:14:22 pm »
I put a letter out wnd of October  saying I would be putting prices up £1 from 01/03/18... everyone seemed to read it and then tried paying me the extra pound from january. No worries so far from the prices increase but not for real pundits everyone yet

Stoots

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2018, 02:19:37 pm »
Thinking about doing my 1st increase in April. My oldest customers are 3 years now with no increase.

Having said that I probably won't as just took a lad on and can't afford to risk it until have a bit more work. Probably next year.
I might try a few and see what happens though.

Shrek

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 02:36:00 pm »
Iv just stuck another £5 on a couple , I’m increasingly getting more 8weekly enquiries which I charge +50% of monthly price and I think I prefer it too. I bet you’ve gained a lot more than you’ve lost though!
Like everyone says ‘it’s a numbers game’ - now make those numbers work for you  :)

alank

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 02:45:19 pm »
Adam I would put the ones up that you arnt  so bothered about losing first then put 25% of your existing work up each month over the next four months. If you lose a few on the first wave of increases the price rise should compensate for them. If you don't lose many happy days and with the better weather you will surely pick up more new customers to fill any gaps none of us can afford to be working on old prices.  Good luck  ;D

NWH

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2018, 03:10:46 pm »
Did you actually speak to them though or just write it on a ticket,I put 2 up last week £10 each I said I haven’t increased for years but I wanted to speak to you to explain the reason they said no worries thanks for letting me know they both said,a lot of it is how it’s done and the way you say it.

KS Cleaning

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 04:22:21 pm »
Did you actually speak to them though or just write it on a ticket,I put 2 up last week £10 each I said I haven’t increased for years but I wanted to speak to you to explain the reason they said no worries thanks for letting me know they both said,a lot of it is how it’s done and the way you say it.
There's a big difference in increasing the price by £10 to increasing the price by £1 though. If I were increasing the price by £10 I would speak to the customer, if I were increasing the price by £1 I would just write it on the slip.

dazmond

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 06:51:43 pm »
ive had customers cancel over a 50p increase!(years ago)...customers can be strange....most wont cancel though....

out of 150-200 price rises ive only ever lost 2 or 3 customers at any one time.....

im not putting any up this year.......
price higher/work harder!

Johnny B

« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 10:41:23 am »
It all comes down to how much our customers value our service and us as people.

If they cancel over a £1 increase, then they are looking for a reason to cancel anyway, whether it is the quality or method that we use or if it is to do with the way that we come across to them.

John
Being diplomatic is being able to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip.

nathankaye

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2018, 12:23:44 pm »
It all comes down to how much our customers value our service and us as people.

If they cancel over a £1 increase, then they are looking for a reason to cancel anyway, whether it is the quality or method that we use or if it is to do with the way that we come across to them.

John

I totally understand where your coming from and mostly agree.   
But,,,,,,, after years of cleaning this chaps house (five years or more) I putthe price up by a pound. He said that it was too much just to have his windows cleaned.   People also have a maximum amount they are prepared to pay to have their glass cleaned
facebook.com/1NKServices
1NKServices.co.uk

NWH

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2018, 02:46:25 pm »
I agree with £1 thing also if they dump because of that you were on borrowed time anyway,I leave it longer and do £2 minimum if you do a pound each time it will seem very quick since the last rise just leave increases slightly longer it will even out. I also wouldn’t be put off by the odd one sacking you off if the majority stay loyal you’ll be doing less work for more money.

brianbarber

« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2018, 08:42:46 pm »
Thinking about doing my 1st increase in April. My oldest customers are 3 years now with no increase.

Having said that I probably won't as just took a lad on and can't afford to risk it until have a bit more work. Probably next year.
I might try a few and see what happens though.
Do it now , you will get more resistance leaving it another year, and if your taking on staff that extra £1 on each will help you pay his wages.
Just my opinion.
Mr B
If in doubt.....Leave it out !!

JandS

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2018, 08:48:26 pm »
I lost a £17.50 job a couple of years ago...he said he had been given a price of £17 by another window cleaner could I match it....I said no as it was going up end of year.....he finished me.
I've seen at least 4 different ones doing it since  all trad...don't know how they manage the fronts with ladders as it's ground and first but is a lofty one with highish windows only ever see them at rear as that backs onto some I do.
Impossible done straight away, miracles can take a little longer.