This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

Steve Weatherley

Change Clamp or Pole Section?
« on: March 17, 2018, 02:09:44 pm »
For many years when the end section of the pole starts to slip and tightening the clamp doesn't help I have assumed the problem lies with the fact that the section has worn at the end where the clamp tightens. I recently watched a youtube video on how to change phoenix clamps which suggests the wear could be on the clamp instead of the pole section. Changing clamps is clearly much cheaper but imo if the problem was the clamp, the section would slip no matter where the clamp was tightened rather than just at the end. Any thoughts.......

dazmond

Re: Change Clamp or Pole Section?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 04:09:54 pm »
I just buy a new pole when they get that bad mate....they dont get that bad unless the pole is at least a few years old so IMO it's easier to just buy another fresh one....You 've had your moneys worth out of the pole by then...

The top 2 sections are the worst for wearing down quickly but you can always clamp further up the section for years before their totally shot...
price higher/work harder!

Plankton

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 04:29:20 pm »
Folks treat poles like sh!t so there's no single answer to solving a problem to whether it's the pole or the clamp or the user, the user should be able to see where it's spinning and if they have to adjust the clamp.
Using the old Gardiner clamps the pole could wear at the top and it would wear excessively if being used by a numptyhead as they wouldn't bother to tighten the clamp or clean the pole out enough and let the pole spin time after time. Cutting the pole back and gluing the clamp back on is an option insted of replacing parts.
I improved my poles life span by upgrading to Gardiners smart clamps and not letting numptyheads near it and it dosent spin after 5 years.

richard connett

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 04:09:07 pm »
I use some metal tape and build up the worn place on the clamping section. Then you can loosen the clamp a bit. Ends up looking like a xtreme version 2

AuRavelling79

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 04:12:59 pm »
I tend to change the clamps as a set once before changing the pole when they need changing again.

So (eg) I might change my clamps at year 18 months to 2 years and the whole pole at year 3 or 4.
It's a game of three halves!