This is an advertisement
Interested In Advertising? | Contact Us Here

Warning!

Welcome to Clean It Up; the UK`s largest cleaning forum with over 34,000 members

Please login or register to post and reply to topics.      

Forgot your password? Click here

craigR

oil stains
« on: March 02, 2018, 07:14:30 pm »
Need  advice for the best  way to remove/ lessen oil staining on block paving. pressure washing alone wont do it before I even try.
Advice  would be appreciated .

Craig

BDCS

Re: oil stains
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2018, 10:06:34 pm »
First work out what type of oil it is. Heat helps if you have it. Start with dry blocks and use comma hyper clean of similar, wash off then OT8.

craigR

« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 11:26:12 am »
Cheers. Helpful that. I can give that a go.

Craig

Peter J Haigh

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 08:55:50 pm »
Don`t make any promises, I have tried various  chems including OT8 with mixed results. I found the best to be a blowtorch and even that doesn`t always work.
Regards

Jonny Swirljet

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2018, 05:58:04 am »
I use "Seal a Block Concrete Degreaser " there is also a product for tarmac, It costs about £40. I've had quite good results from this product but it all depends on how old the oil stain is or whether or not it is oil stain on oil stain. You apply the product to dry pavers, agitate with a stiff broom, leave for 15mins and rinse thoroughly with pressure washer, for stubborn stains repeat as necessary.

I'm not convinced one can offer a complete stain removal service to customers and it would be foolhardy to boast one. Customers rarely mention they have oil stains on their driveways so I'm cautious when visiting a customer to generate a quotation for driveway cleaning.

I've discovered the most sensible approach to an oil stain removal requests by potential customers is to ask for temporary removal of any vehicles on the driveway to look  for oil stains beneath their parked cars and also to ascertain the condition of the drive beneath the vehicle. Any reluctance to this request then beware as after cleaning they may blame you for any anomaly they find. Take photographs of any damage or stains on the pavers for future reference.  Mention to the customer that you can only offer a oil stain reduction service and some shading may still remain after cleaning. You must state this very clearly on the quotation about any oil stain or damage on the driveway, its not your fault the customer or previous tenants has let the driveway get into a bad state. :-\

craigR

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:39:17 pm »
Thanks. Sensible enough. The sad parts about this is its my own drive thats in such a mess. But all knowledge can be useful in the future.
If I'm ever doing a customers drive with oil stains I always point out they will fade but not go and seldom bother with chemicals,  Now I've a good opportunity to see how decent a result I can get on my own drive after my Alfa decided to spew oil just about everywhere.

Thanks again.

Craig